Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Anyone done away with stock tail motor on cpv3?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Anyone done away with stock tail motor on cpv3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
iroc254u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done away with stock tail motor on cpv3?

Weel i am tired of replaceing tail motors and e boards. Is there a differnt set up brushless or anything you can do to do away with this prob. if so what do i need to do it. Ihave a spare gyro kicking around but not sure what i need and if i can do it. I figure if there is a way i will spend the money and do it and would be cheaper in the long run.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Anyone done away with stock tail motor on cpv3?

I don't know if you've looked into this, but there are many posts on the forums by people who went the brushless route.  There are a few different configurations out there.  Just search around and you'll find them.  As for me, i own an Axe CP (original), and when I had this problem I decided to go the belt-drive route.  It's a little more invasive - I think - but I find that it works.  If you're interested in that, check out

http://www.freestyle-hobby.com/catal...roducts_id=207

That should take you straight to the "Axe CP Belt Mod 2" page.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a brushless belt drive conversion myself with parts from a esky honey bee king II . It made the heli fly so much better I could not believe it. I learned with the stock axe . Looking back now I know that motor driven tail made it much harder to learn to fly. The tail always seemed to be swinging all over the place. I really wonder why they even make helis with motor driven tails. The only thing I can figure is they may be more durable in a crash. I did crash my stock axe many times while learning and it held up very well. I have moved on to larger helis but I actually kept my belt drive axe because I liked it so much.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 PM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Yup.  The swinging is why i converted too.  I couldn't stand it, and it made flying extremely difficult.  After I switched to the belt-drive, I could actually fly my heli like I thought it should.  If i went back to the motor tail, I'd probably be fine now, because I've gotten pretty good with helis, but motor tails are definitely not beginner-friendly.  I guess that's why I went with the belt-drive; I didn't know if brushless motors made a difference in how well the heli could hold the tail.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM
rcollector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, I have been flying a trex 450 for a while and am getting pretty good and decided to try my axes out recently. The belt drive axe actually is very close to the 450 in how it flies. When I next tried the two almost brand new motor driven axes i still had again I was amazed at how bad they were. They went on ebay....
Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 AM
jumbo812

i recieved a Heli max axe cpv3 for my birthday last month. this is my first heli, i have flown the simm heli axe for months.
when i recieved the heli, i took it for a fly, five mins into the flight.....POW.., out goes the tail and down goes the heli, from 50 ft.
(the vid is on youtube"heli axe cpv3 crash with onboard camera", check it out)
but, it was a e-board failure (not my crappy flying). after replacing it i flew it for 4 mins (just hovering) and checked the tail motor, hot as blazes.
when i called the company they told me this model's tail runs hot. shorter flights with longer cool downs recomended.
i have flown it 10 or so times since..good flights, couple flips. i let it cool. it hasnt burned out again.
If you want to fly like this you may save the heli (and wallet) some beating.

Im not that patient,...converting to the brushless belt drive combo real soon.
But,.. i still love my cpv3 (prolly the only one left who does....LOL)