Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Stuck on CA caps? How to remove them?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Stuck on CA caps? How to remove them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Someone11-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck on CA caps? How to remove them?

On my 2oz. Medium CA glue the cap got stuck on. I can get it off, but then there is CA gunk all over the cap fitting.... I don't know what I can use to take CA off of the plastic bottle and the CA in the cap. I think something like laquer thinner would burn through the plastic. Is there anything that I can use that wouldn't burn trough the plastic?

Thanks-Brian
Old 04-05-2002, 09:56 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Just soak the cap and the nozzle in acetone. In a couple of hours, they'll be perfectly clean! No, acetone won't hurt the plastic.

Just curious, what brand CA?
Old 04-05-2002, 11:24 PM
Phil Cole

Or, you can just buy new caps. I have never been able to rescue caps or tips by soaking them in acetone.

I've found the best way to avoid this is to make sure the tip is clear of CA before
putting the cap on. I wipe the tip, then let it stand for a while, so the glue has a chance to run back down into the bottle before capping.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:29 PM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

I went to home depot and bought a gallon of acetone, I took a old jelly jar and filled it halfway up with acetone. Like gpmorse said soak in there for couple of hours and they come out as good as new. Whenever I have a tip clogged I just throw it in there and use another one fresh out the jar, you can leave them in there for a long time, no damage to tips or bottles. Works great, dont buy a new one everytime they get clogged. Daz...
Old 04-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Miniair
My Feedback: (1)

Allot of the CA manufacturers tell you that once it's opened not to put the cap back on. In most case the CA will stay fresh for a long time or you can store it in the fridge, just be sure to let it warm up to room temp. before trying to use it
Old 04-06-2002, 03:09 AM
lenough

What I do is take a piece of fuel tubeing, fold one end of it over itself and hold it together with a tie wrap. This closes one end. I then place the open end over the end of the ca tip. Instant cap and I've never had one stick.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

someone11 was using great planes ca glue
Old 04-07-2002, 02:09 PM
silvercloud-RCU

I used to have the same problem and had read somewhere about not puting the cap back onlike miniair posted and that works real fine ive been doing that for a year or so and it doesn't seem to afect the glue so far.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:15 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunk the cap in acetone, and place a small piece of masking tape over the open bottle until next use.

Vince
Old 04-08-2002, 01:31 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

I use it up so dawg on fast the tips never have time to get clogged up. Most of the time the reason the tips get clogged up is because people place it right on the wood and thats what sets off the glue on the tip.......
Old 04-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Someone11-RCU

Originally posted by gpmikemorse
Just soak the cap and the nozzle in acetone. In a couple of hours, they'll be perfectly clean! No, acetone won't hurt the plastic.

Just curious, what brand CA?
What could I put over the bottle of open Great Planes CA when I'm soaking the cap and tip in Acetone? Making tape covering the bottle.... while in fridge???

Thanks-Brian
Old 04-08-2002, 03:12 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Originally posted by Someone11
What could I put over the bottle of open Great Planes CA when I'm soaking the cap and tip in Acetone? Making tape covering the bottle.... while in fridge???
I just put a little scrap of metal over the top, and nothing bad happened. I guess the best bet would be to cut a little scrap of polyethylene from a milk jug and tape it on.

When you finish a bottle, don't throw away the top if is at all in good condition. After a while, you'll have a good collection!
Old 04-08-2002, 03:52 PM
uciflylow

I always wipe the tips with debonder as I use them and I never have a problem with tips sticking to the nozzle. This way no ca builds up on the tip for the cap to stick to.
Acetone also works well to remove ca as well, as already stated.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:11 AM
Someone11-RCU

My friend told me today that you weren't suppose to touch the CA tip to balsa when gluing. I never knew that you couldn't. I think that is why it got stuck. Thanks for all of your help guys!

-Brian
Old 04-09-2002, 12:47 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement Stores sell quart and gallon containers of Acetone. A quart is less than $3 and a gallon is less than $9.

Get a glass container with a lid and put some acetone in it. I have an extra set of tips and after a session, I take the clean or soaking tips and put them on the CA bottle, then put the dirty ones in the acetone for the night. After taking a tip out of the acetone, let it dry before you put it on the bottle.

Acetone dries fast, and is great for removing CA that got places it shouldn't have. However, acetone will melt many materials like plastic coverings and paint. It will remove things like permanent marker from metal surfaces and acetone resistant plastics like polyethylene film. If you use Great Planes plan protector, you can clean uncured CA off of it.

It is the best thing there is for removing epoxy resin from your hands, but wash them soon after you do so, and please read the label on the acetone container for warnings. A splash of acetone on your lips or in your eyes is painful. I know.

If you have a cap stuck to the tip, just remove the tip/cap and leave it in the CA to soak. Check to see when you can get the two apart, then let them soak some more. I keep a pair of small needle nose pliers near my acetone jar so I can retrieve caps and tips without getting my hands in it. Keep a roll of paper towels handy.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:20 AM
Someone11-RCU

Ok, I will make sure to do that. I'm gonna get some acetone tommorow. I found out my dad uses it all the time to clean tons of stuff!.... only if I knew earlier. I use lacquer thinner to take paint off of things. Lacquer thinner is good for removing paint from your hands, but you need to wash your hand thoroughly after using it to clean your hands. Thanks for the tips.

-Brian
Old 04-11-2002, 12:46 PM
VFRTEX

Quick tip: I simply push a "T" pin into the tip of the CA bottle when I'm done. After it dries, all you need is a small twist of the pin and it pops out! You always have a nice clean flowing bottle every time. If you're like me, just leaving one open usually results in discovering a spilled bottle...too late.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:27 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

I tried some of Tower Hobby's Build-It CA and really liked it. Problem is, when the cap stuck on my 2oz thick CA, I pulled and twisted to get it off like I usually do, and the tip broke off!!!

The other trick I've used on bottles like Jet CA is to pinch the stuck tip with pliers. The CA breaks apart and the tip comes right off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9513_4407.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	5400  
Old 04-26-2002, 06:22 PM
Logan

Default Acetone Hand Cleaner

DO NOT use acetone to remove epoxy, ca, or other chemicals from your hands. Acetone will thin these chemicals to the point where they can be more easily absorbed through the skin.:surprised Scrub up the old fashion way...get a bar of lava soap and use a brush!.

L-
Old 04-26-2002, 07:45 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

I've read this before, but I've also read that by the time the CA has reacted to your skin, the dangerous portion of it has already been fully absorbed, and only the non-volatile or non-organic compounds remain on your skin.

If I'm working with epoxy I almost always use gloves. However, for those times when I don't and I can't leave what I'm doing and I get epoxy on my hands or arms, I would rather get it off quickly, regardless of the risk of thinning it making it more absorbable. Alcohol thins the epoxy, but is much less efficient at removing it. Mixed epoxy already contains acetone, and acetone is very efficient at removing it.

According to another source, the very best thing for removing epoxy from skin is a specialized dry soap that emulsifies it. If you are really worried about epoxy contact (and you should be), use a barrier cream or gloves.

Supposedly, if you can't use the dry soap, the best thing is to let it cure, then peel it off. That isn't always feasible, especially if time is of the essence, and it is accidental or unexpected contamination.

The info above is my recollection from an article done by a dermatologist who is also a modeler. I could be mistaken, so take it for what it's worth.

I chose the paint system I'm using based on safety. The NELSON Hobby Specialties Paints are much safer than many other paints used in modeling. They contain no free isocyanates.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Someone11-RCU

If any of you are going to soak their CA tips/caps in acetone then I reccomend buying it at WalMart. I bought a gallong of it for $7.97 Thanks for the help!

-Brian
Old 05-04-2002, 04:18 AM
Someone11-RCU

Default Update

I finally soaked my CA tip + stuck on cap in acetone. I used masking tape to cover the 2oz CA bottle. I let it soak in there for a day. When I cam to it I had to pry the cap off with a small screwdriver. What I found was half a CA tip . I guess there wasn't just glue on the tip of the bottle, but also on the outside of the tip as well. This method does work! If you give it more time, I bet it will work even better.

I also used acetone to clean off the epoxy on my brush. It took in off in 5 min.

THANKS FOR THE HELP! THANKS FOR THE INPUT! THANKS TO RCU!!!

-Brian
Old 04-14-2003, 01:50 PM
John M. Bigelow

Looks like wipeing the top with debonder is best maybe.
I sure am glad someelse has problens beside me. I buy 2
extra and sometime pins Or CU
Old 04-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Someone11-RCU

I still have problems with Medium CA in particular. You know that small bubble that forms at the tip once your done laying a bead down.... well thats the culprate! I try to wipe it off, and I think it makes it worse. I'm going to give the T-pin method a shot. Another thing... when I left the cap off of my medium CA it just dried up.... I thought it would be okay like that for a while? Was the CA just an older batch?

Thanks, Brian
Old 04-20-2003, 12:55 AM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

When you are using medium or thick ca, squeeze the bottle a little bit while it is still right side up. Then while still holding the squeez turn it upside down and apply your ca like normal. When you are finished and you let go of the bottle, the extra suction pulls the ca out of the tip and keeps it from getting clogged.
Also I wipe the outside of my tips with hard paper like one of those cards in magazines. That works a lot better than soft things like paper towel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.