Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Beginner Looking to Build RC Carneed advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Beginner Looking to Build RC Carneed advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Oopalonga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Looking to Build RC Carneed advice

Hi,

I know basically nothing (useful) about remote control cars, but would like to build one for my dog to chase. My dog's top speed is around 35mph, so I think my car needs to go 30-40mph preferably. My budgetaccording to my research thus faris low, at $150. I'd prefer an electric car that uses rechargeable batteries, and I would like to assemble my own car to save money and to become familiar with the car's parts. The car also needs to be durable. Any suggestions on kits or where to start? I've read in some other posts here that the Tamiya (sp) has good kitsbut the ones Isaw for under $150 looked relatively cheap and traveled around 20mph. Is it possible to buy a cheap kit and replace the kit's parts with better parts that are compatible, while staying under $150? I feel kind of lost. . .Anyhow, here's a recap of my essentials:
<ul>[*]$150[*]Durability[*]30-40mph[*]Electricw/ Rechargeable Batteries[*]Ability to upgrade the various parts of the car if I want better performance[*]Easy to Maintain/Repair[*]Good Agility (must be able to "out-turn" my border collie)[/list]Thanks for the help!
-Oopalonga

one more thing. . .when I was a kid Ihad one of those popular remote control cars that sold for around $40-60. It wasn't badhad decent speed and agility, and it was rechargeable. So I figured that with $150 Icould build something amazing. . .but when Idid my research it seemed as though to build a phenomenal car you'd need around $300-400 bucks. . .why!?! It makes no sense!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
rc18junky

Default RE: Beginner Looking to Build RC Carneed advice

something like this would be good for what your looking for . but you still need a controller with 2 servos and battery and charger so your need about 220.00 but not going to do 30 maybe 20 or so any good ideas on saving money on the controller and battery people
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTDR5&P=7
Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to look into the Evader RTR's, they are upgradeable and pretty good beginner trucks.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
rc18junky

ORIGINAL: proanti1

You might want to look into the Evader RTR's, they are upgradeable and pretty good beginner trucks.
there you go
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Oopalonga

Thanks guys, I will check both of those out.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: Oopalonga

Hi,

I know basically nothing (useful) about remote control cars, but would like to build one for my dog to chase. My dog's top speed is around 35mph, so I think my car needs to go 30-40mph preferably. My budgetaccording to my research thus faris low, at $150. I'd prefer an electric car that uses rechargeable batteries, and I would like to assemble my own car to save money and to become familiar with the car's parts. The car also needs to be durable. Any suggestions on kits or where to start? I've read in some other posts here that the Tamiya (sp) has good kitsbut the ones I saw for under $150 looked relatively cheap and traveled around 20mph. Is it possible to buy a cheap kit and replace the kit's parts with better parts that are compatible, while staying under $150? I feel kind of lost. . .Anyhow, here's a recap of my essentials:
<ul>[*]$150[*]Durability[*]30-40mph[*]Electricw/ Rechargeable Batteries[*]Ability to upgrade the various parts of the car if I want better performance[*]Easy to Maintain/Repair[*]Good Agility (must be able to ''out-turn'' my border collie)[/list]Thanks for the help!
-Oopalonga

one more thing. . .when I was a kid I had one of those popular remote control cars that sold for around $40-60. It wasn't badhad decent speed and agility, and it was rechargeable. So I figured that with $150 I could build something amazing. . .but when I did my research it seemed as though to build a phenomenal car you'd need around $300-400 bucks. . .why!?! It makes no sense! [img][/img]

Actually I went through the sticker shock on the prices as well. And you're right, a 40 mph r/c car is not just any little feat. It does cost $300 or so to get one that can do that reliably... at the very least. You cannot compare Walmart or Nikko or Tyco brand $50 cars and scale up that to $150 and think you'll get a better faster car.

The biggest difference is .. quality and support. Quality of construction, material, design, REPLACEMENT parts support. A "good" Tyco might cost $100 but it does not compare to a $100 hobby grade r/c. The plastic will be cheapy, the controls and motor and power will be abysmal, but it looks big (like those $100 Newbright brand Hummer H2's that were popular). For $100 you may find you can buy plenty of big Hummers/Trucks or other cars at Toys R Us. But you'll find that they go maybe 6-18 mph, have no parts support, and never mind any kind of real control and or handling. Now for a $100 for a hobby grade R/C you may not get a big fat Hummer that has big chrome wheels and spinners (gag) but you'll have yourself a good quality mini r/c truck or car, 1/18th scale, so it's quite small compared to the $100 Hummer, but it will do what the Hummer toy can't. It will hvae proportional control, upgradable parts, electronics, real working adjustable shocks, real RUBBER tires (hahaha I hate how Nikko r/c toys now use plastic tires 99% of the time like the rest, unlike 10 years ago) endless options to upgrade power, speed, body, anything your imagination can think of.

Also, I'm surprised no one else has pointed this out, but for an R/C to go 30-40 mph and still handle itself in turns at those speeds, at least the way you want (to outmaneuver your dog) takes some serious cash. Sure you can rig up a $125 Duratrax model buggy or Stadium truck to go 40 mph with another $150 but can it turn at those speeds? No it might slide or push, or just roll over. So you'll then want to look at the more capable models that can go that fast, and still be able to turn on a dime (almost) but then you get into the higher price models, typically $250-$300+ for anything "decent" (not the "best," but just enough to get the job done).

And BTW, you don't necessarily need to build a model either, though I understand the reasons, you get to learn what makes your model tick etc., so you can fix it easily. But ready to run models generally are cheaper when you put the costs for the Kit itself, + radio, batteries, charger etc.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
worstluck

a lot of bang for the buck right here. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext . a very reputable truck with all the new school necessities.

boarder collies are believed to be one of the most intelligent dogs. he will figure out how to out maneuver it, & then jump out in front of it[:@].