Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 02:57 AM
Vicster
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W50RI.........not starting

Hey guys,
I have a NEW 3W 50cc rear induction engine and is VERY
hard to start ( if at all ). It does not draw fuel to the carburator.
Had it running twice on the ground and seemed good.
As soon as the plane took off and got about 100' in the air it quit!
This happened twice and broke two NEW airplanes.
I have checked all the obvious ( fuel tank, fuel line, diaphram,
carb needles ect. ) If I pressurize the tank ( read that blow into the vent line ) and push on the diaphram it will get gas. If i start it right away, it runs good on the ground, but again not in flight.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Vicster
Old 07-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

One thing to try is to remove the cowl so you can see the fuel coming up the fuel line. With the choke on and the throttle open it should draw the fuel up with about 5 to 8 flips. Also the needles are sensitive and unforgiving on a bad adjustment as I have just discovered. The low on mine is at 11/2 turn and the high is at 1 1/4. Also you could have a blockage in the pressure port from the engine to the carb.

Kent
Old 07-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Vicster

Default 3W50cc.......hard to start

Hi Kent,
Thanks for the reply. I assume you also have a 3W 50cc?
What plane is it in? Does it live up to your expectations when it
flys? Mine is in the Hanger 9 80" Cap. Anyway...........
I have had the cowl off and cannot see any fuel draw even with
an electric starter. I have also inspected the passage in the carb
block from engine to carb. It seems clear. I have even applied
vaccume directly to the vaccume port in the carb. The diaphram
does not move. ( do you know where the vaccume enters the diaphram area? ) With the diaphram removed I cannot find a
vaccume source. Maybe I should send the engine in for a check up. Being brand new, I did not expect this.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Vicster

P.S. I have had my needles adjusted from one turn to two turns
(everywhere in between) and it changed nothing.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:04 PM
peso

Sometimes the choke butterfly does not close so well. If possible try to close the carb with your thumb instead just as you do with a glow engine. Then the carburator should draw several inches of fuel for each turn of the prop. If not there is something wrong with the carburator or a leakage between the carb and the engine.
/PO
Old 07-21-2003, 11:17 PM
Vicster

Hey Peso-
Thanks for the tip. Actually I did try that and no fuel. I agree with you. Either the carb is bad or there is leakage. After trying the "suggestions" from the distributor I purchased it from
(to no avail) I sent it back to him. So far no word as to the problem. He has not returned 2 of my phone calls. Must be busy.
So we will see. Thanks again for the respose.
Vicster
Old 07-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Vicster, check it out , my 3W50 is in a H9 Cap 232 80" also. The port for the pressure pulse is on the rear of the carb. You have to remove it to see the hole. There is then a hole in the black plastic intake that goes to the engine. Make sure all of this lines up , it should since it is a new engine. I had mine apart trying to turn the carb 180 degrees so the needles would be easy to get to. It would not work, the needles are a ***** to get to.

I haven't flown the plane enough to know if it is up to my expectation. I had problems with the engine running bad until I cleaned out the carb, real pain because have to pull the engine to pull the carb. I found a small piece of rubber under the needle and seat.

I had two good flights sun. Vertical is crazy, engine needs a little more fine tuning . The weight of the engine worked out to my advantage because I was able to place all the bats and receiver in a easy location. I have a DP Extra with a DA50 and it is so light that I had to stuff all the components to the front in inaccessible areas. The DA is bad to the bone though.

Make sure you have the diaphragm hooked onto the needle properly when you reinstall it. Keep me posted

Kent