Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro or electric for sand????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM
rcsforlife21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro or electric for sand????

hey i have a team associated t4.1 with sand paddles i was wondering is that going to do better in the sand than a jato 3.3??
By the way i might trade the t4 for a jato 3.3 or a revo 3.3
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitro or electric for sand????

A well equipped Revo would be good in the sand. It's not really about the power plant, but about the design of the vehicle. A Jato 3.3 wouldn't be high on my list for sand, it's off road performance is mediocre.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 PM
rcslsafut

sand is h3ii on EVERYTHING!!!!
it get's into the bearings ,and will easily destroy the motor,brushed or brushless.
nitro's are no different the engine can be easily destroyed by the sand.
if i had to say one or the other ,i would probably go with the nitro.
just be sure to oil up your filter and make sure your zip ties are tight on the air horn.
i would consider even getting one of those outers, brand sock deals that you put over the filter
for added protection. sand can be really fun , i know . i would not make a habit of it ,or you will
be buying a lot of parts. if you decide to use the electric ,you might consider putting some kind of
foam or sock around the brush part of your motor.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
rcsforlife21

so a revo would be best how come a jato would not do so well with sand paddles
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: rcsforlife21

so a revo would be best how come a jato would not do so well with sand paddles

2wd, low to the ground.If you want paddles, get Pl's for the revo. Big ol paddles for a big ol truck
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
rcsforlife21

alright thanks does anybody have a revo 3.3 they wanna trade for my team associated brushless lol
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">me and my friends used to run in the sand.i was running a T3 they were running a duratrax axis 1/8 buggy, XXXT, RC10GT.we never had problems driving on it even without paddle tires.only problem we had was cleaning all the sand out of them afterwards.guy with the axis had his air filter pop off one day, i didn't know it, roosted him, 30 seconds later that engine needed a new piston and sleeve.i owned that T3 for 4 years after that.up until the day i destroyed it i was still getting sand out of it, it got in everything!</div>
if i had to run one or the other in sand id go electric. just becauseit will take longer to wreck
Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 PM
robg68

I ran my rustler vxl (brushless) exclusively on sand almost every week for about a year and had no problems at all with sand messing up my bearing or getting into anything. The only sand prep was an rpm seal gear cover and paddle tires.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

With a brushless motor, the electric will be less likely to have problems in the sand. I think a nitro would be a lot of fun on the sand, but if you run a nitro just be 100% sure the air filter is on tight and clean, because if sand gets through it, or if it comes off, the engine will be done in a matter of seconds. It will score the piston and sleeve and lose compression. Id use a silicone tube on a nitro to extend the exhaust stinger out past the body and wheels so that the fuel/oil doesent get on the wheels and A-Arms/Chassis, because the sand will stick bad if it does.

As for the rest of the r/c, they will be close to the same. Just take the bearings out and spray them off with WD40 every few runs and you should be good.

Eric
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your brushless will do better than the jato. nitros are slighly heavier than electrics of the same size(in general)
a lighter truck will do better in sand. also, a brushless motor's low end torque and quicker reasponse to throttle input will help.
lastly, sand gets everywhere! and there are more places to clean on a nitro. not to mention that nitro fuel will help the sand stick to everything(and the exhaust as well)

all that said, a 4wd RC with paddles will obvioulsy be better. whether its a nitro or an brushless, 4wd will do a much better job.

LOL, my name on here is nitrosportsandrunner, because when i joined i had a traxxas nitro sport and loved to run it in sand pits. but man wasnt it a pain to clean afterwards!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM
fastandloud

Clean up sucks but the fun factor is way high!! I couldnt resist .....this is my homies JATO doin a little number I like to call...GETTTIN SOME!!!!

<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Lucida Grande; color: #666666"></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Lucida Grande; color: #666666"></p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Lucida Grande; color: #666666"></p>
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM
1320Fastback

Here's my buddies 4x4 slash with paddles, between it and my VXL Rusty there really isnt any difference except he can turn a little sharper.

Never ran a nitro with paddles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85617.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	1438969  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 PM
rcsforlife21

so is the jato really good in the sand in your oppinion
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
rufus2000

what type of sand will you be running in? is it beach sand or desert sand?...
beach sand is terrible, not only is it saltier, but the humidity in the air will get the salty water on your bearings and onto everything even if you didn't get them wet in the first place.
A few runs without a thorough cleaning and the rc will get rust fairly quickly.

by the way, picking a set of stainless screws for your rig would help if you plan on doing this in the long run...
Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 PM
rcsforlife21

its beach sand florence oregon
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 AM
cobra26

I alternately run a MERV, XXXT, nitro Rustler, two Raze buggies and a Raze truggy in beach sand. As previously stated, the biggest problem is cleaning the sand and salt off. The sand on my beach is super fine and is a real pain to clean off - particularly on my nitro rides. The salt in the sand and in the air is very corrosive so I completely tear down after a day's running and run most everything through fresh water for at least 5-10 minutes. I use stainless fasteners everywhere possible, but the salt still takes its toll - even on aluminum.

Running on the beach is a blast, but the maintenance task is tedious, yet relaxing for me at the same time. If you enjoy tearing down, thoroughly cleaning EVERYTHING and then reassembling, running on the beach is a lot of fun with varying terrains that always challenge and you will have a ball!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 AM
nitrostam
My Feedback: (1)

my local hooby shop has a coustom made 1/6 sand rail everything is coustom execpt for the roll cage and tires
he said it will do 90mph but has a set with gears to make it slower it has a 30cc engine (gas)
he made 5 and is selling 3
it is bad a** but expencive $4000