Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

unidentified F-86

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

unidentified F-86

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 PM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unidentified F-86

Someone gave this F-86 to a friend of mine and he didn't have room or time for it so he gave it to me. Can anyone tell me what company made this jet? It has about 56" wingspan and 61" fuse length if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk26241.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1440409   Click image for larger version

Name:	mi21898.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1440410   Click image for larger version

Name:	af88500.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1440411  
Old 05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: unidentified F-86

looks like a Byron..........does it have a cheater hole on the bottom?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
rc airplane nut

Well it does have a big hole under the wings. Is that is what you mean by cheater hole.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Ram-bro

yep ita a byron
Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the cheater hole. [8D]
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 PM
rc airplane nut

OK, thanks! Anyone know if I can download an instructions manuel for it?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Ram-bro

what info are you needing? Byron no longer exists but Iron Bay may still have their site up. I a sure there are guys out there who can passon the info you need. I used to have the F86d as a matter of fact,see if you can email a Jim Simonitch, I sold it to him. Jim is usually here on RCU
Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 PM
rc airplane nut

I need alot of info, I've never owned a jet before.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
rc airplane nut

Does anyone have a manuel for it that they dont need or a copy of a manuel for it?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Ram-bro

when was the last time this plane has flown? They are pretty stable aircraft, not speed demons. Does this have retracts? What engine is mounted in this plane? Do you have the starter wand? Your biggest issue maybe finding fuel.......
Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
turboratt

fuel is easy you can mix it your self there was a thread on that and it worked for me
Old 05-22-2010, 11:00 PM
rc airplane nut

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

when was the last time this plane has flown? They are pretty stable aircraft, not speed demons. Does this have retracts? What engine is mounted in this plane? Do you have the starter wand? Your biggest issue maybe finding fuel.......
I don't know when (or even if) it was flown last, It has pnumatic retracts, the engine is a rossi 61, no I do not have a starter wand. What kind of fuel do jets take? Also, there is not a glow plug in the engine, what plug should I get?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:08 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Save yourself the grief and sell it......heck - I'll buy it!

But if you really want to keep it, I believe a rossi R9 plug is what used to be run. You will need the byron starter wand, probably a 10-15% nitro mix fuel, and a better engine. I would not try to fly it on the 61, at the very least get an 81 or even better - an OS91 they ran very well inverted. The Rossi, well................................

It looks REALLY old as the tires are all flat, and if it's that old - you also need to replace the air lines. You also need to fix the covering on the wings and tail. Do not use anything other than Econocote as it is a low temp film and any other will wreak the foam. Of course you could glass them. Also check the wood parts and make sure they are glassed in and not just siliconed as was the old way to do Byrons way back when. The fuse is Polyester so epoxy won't stick, you have to use polyester resin. Looks like it needs lots of TLC before flying it.

Again - if you really want tot keep it I could copy the manual and mail it to you. Send me your address.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 AM
basimpsn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gut it out and put electric fan motor, Could cost you less than messing around with old glow engine technology,
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 AM
skyhawknut

Could cost you less
Uh....no - it will cost more.

However - that's what I would do though.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
rc airplane nut

ORIGINAL: skyhawknut

Save yourself the grief and sell it......heck - I'll buy it!

But if you really want to keep it, I believe a rossi R9 plug is what used to be run. You will need the byron starter wand, probably a 10-15% nitro mix fuel, and a better engine. I would not try to fly it on the 61, at the very least get an 81 or even better - an OS91 they ran very well inverted. The Rossi, well................................

It looks REALLY old as the tires are all flat, and if it's that old - you also need to replace the air lines. You also need to fix the covering on the wings and tail. Do not use anything other than Econocote as it is a low temp film and any other will wreak the foam. Of course you could glass them. Also check the wood parts and make sure they are glassed in and not just siliconed as was the old way to do Byrons way back when. The fuse is Polyester so epoxy won't stick, you have to use polyester resin. Looks like it needs lots of TLC before flying it.

Again - if you really want tot keep it I could copy the manual and mail it to you. Send me your address.
Will the rossi fly it? Do you use regular glow fuel,(if so, would byron 20/20 work) or is it some special blend?
Also, it is that old; it had a Kraft servo in it.

I do want to keep it,I PM'd you my address. Thanks for the offer to send me a copy of the manuel.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
skyhawknut

You MAY have a Rossi 81 as they used the .61 case and stamped .81 on the side of the mount lug........but it's likely older than that and you have an actual .61

Will it fly on a .61? Depends what the weight is. If it does it will be marginal and it won't be a speed demon - under 100 mph....probably more like 70mph. I think going with the .61 is asking for trouble. As for fuel - Wildcat is great stuff. Standard nitro fuel is what is used, just make sure you get 10 - 15%. I would highly suggest getting an onboard glow system as the Rossi's are notorious for flaming out at low RPM due to the inverted mounted position, the onboard glow saved me more than once. When the OS .91 came out it was a huge improvment as they would idle all day inverted, and I could actually start it with the plane upright on the ground instead of starting it upside down.

I'll get a copy of the manual out to you this comming week.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 PM
rc airplane nut

You MAY have a Rossi 81 as they used the .61 case and stamped .81 on the side of the mount lug........but it's likely older than that and you have an actual .61
I'm pretty sure it is the .61.

"just make sure you get 10 - 15%" does this mean the 20% byron fuel wont work at all? cause that is the only fuel I can get within 100miles of my house.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mate, converting it to electric is not that expensive and HEAPS more reliable.

Here is a link that uses the exsisting fan and just drop in the motor, ESC and get some li-po's for Hobby city and your off and cooking! I did the conversion on my Byron F-16 and it's great. no worries about the engine running reliably etc...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ron+conversion

Here is a vid some guy at the field took of my converted F-16 during one of it's earlier flights before i installed the retracts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyOjc...os=wzeuKtx7ihs

Thanks

dave
Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 PM
rc airplane nut

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Mate, converting it to electric is not that expensive and HEAPS more reliable.

Here is a link that uses the exsisting fan and just drop in the motor, ESC and get some li-po's for Hobby city and your off and cooking! I did the conversion on my Byron F-16 and it's great. no worries about the engine running reliably etc...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ron+conversion

Here is a vid some guy at the field took of my converted F-16 during one of it's earlier flights before i installed the retracts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyOjc...os=wzeuKtx7ihs

Thanks

dave
Gut it out and put electric fan motor, Could cost you less than messing around with old glow engine technology,
I prefer glow, but thanks anyway.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Molar mender

Standard nitro fuel won't cut it in ducted fan engines as it doesn't have enough oil. You need have at least 23% oil to save the D/F engine from seizing up at those higher RPM's. Wildcat 10% D/F fuel has the proper oil content. I would not use a standard fuel unless there is additional oil added to it.

Roy
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
rc airplane nut

skyhawknut, you were right, the engine is the .81. I took it out to look for rust and didn't find any, but I did find a little "B 81"

I have an extra O.S. F plug, would that work in the rossi engine?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 PM
rc airplane nut

Molar Mender, what company can I order the wildcat 10% D/F fuel from?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
rc airplane nut

ORIGINAL: turboratt

fuel is easy you can mix it your self there was a thread on that and it worked for me
Where do you get the ingredients? What mixture do you use?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Good luck with this one. All air hoses need to be changed, fuel lines, probably O-rings in the carb if it has sat long enough for the econokote to rot. You need to check that goofball byron's fuel system (if equiped) as it will be shot. The fuel manifild leaked when new, the glue they used to hold that two-part tank together is probably rotten as well. The retract O-rings will probably leak along with the valve if they are Roms, spring-air, not so sure. Check all of the hinges, the glue has been in there for 20+ years and might not be holding on too well anymore. Check the tape on the thrust tube, it tended to let go with age. Probably needs a new pipe coupler. Check the nyrod controls. I have the yellow nyrod snap like glass if it was exposed to light and heat for years.
The entire plane needs to be stripped and inspected. I concur on the electric conversion. It will have more power, zero vibration, and almost perfect reliability...all VERY important with a DF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.