Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

My flying partner and his H-9 Edge 540

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

My flying partner and his H-9 Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 03:38 PM
rockmon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My flying partner and his H-9 Edge 540

Guy's the fellow I fly with has the H-9 540 and keeps pancaking it in on landing and tearing off the landing gear. Because of this he is going to sell it and get out of flying anything bigger than a 60 size plane. Could anyone that has the Edge tell me if you are having any problems with the plane dropping out of the air just before touchdown or could it be he is just trying to float it in too slow? I have watched him land and I don't think he is slowing down enough that the Edge should just stop flying and I/we can not figure out what the heck is happening. I need to add he has been flying since the mid 70's and was the guy that taught me in the early 80's so it ain't a newbie thing for sure. I let him fly all my 1/4 scale stuff and he has no problem at all landing my Cap or Giles or any other plane I have seen him fly and after watching him with the Edge there is no way I want to fly it to make any kind of comparison. So I need to ask anyone that is flying an Edge if they had a problem and what you did to fix it. TIA
Old 07-21-2003, 04:58 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I had a little problem with my Edge. Its a D&L with an 80 inch wing span.
I ended up sloving my problem by moving the CG forward by just 1/4 inch. Also I reduced my elevator travel on low rates to about 75% of what the plans called for.

The forward CG was the big thing for me. Plane lands just fine now.

tonyc
Old 07-21-2003, 05:28 PM
bhall01
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H9 Edge

Had the same problem with mine - if you tried to slow it down for a decent speed landing it'd drop a wing and come down on the gear pretty hard.

My "fix" was to program in a 'landing mode' on my radio (Futaba 9C). When I hit the landing mode switch both ailerons would go up about 3/16" and the elevators would go down about 1/16+". Basically the landing mode would wash-out the wings and provide a little elevator down trim to offset the nose up tendency induced by the up ailerons. The Edge would then settle right in for the type of landing you'd expect it to have.

Not sure what radio you have, but most computer radios have something similar - also a "landing mode" settin on my JR 8103. The Futaba 6XA has an Airbrake function that'd do the same thing. Could probably 'make up your own' with a couple of program mixes.

If nothing else, you could mechanically put in a little 'up' in each aileron to "permanently" washout the wings, then re-trim elevator for level flight.

Might work for your problem, it sure made a difference in mine!

Good luck - BJH
Old 07-22-2003, 12:30 AM
rockmon

tonyc if I can talk him into keeping it we can try the forward c.g. and see if it helps,thanks. BJH he has a 9c also and has his ailerons flexed up I think he said 30 degrees to help with a snap problem the plane has, which seems to have worked a little so that is covered but thanks anywho. The darn thing is not snapping on landing it just stops flying and drops hard, it's more like a straight forward stall but man it should fly a lot slower than it is when the problem occurs, and it will do it without any warning, he says he doesn't feel any of the controls go soft. Oh well maybe a few more suggestions will pop in here and I can talk him into trying something else before he sells it, thanks again.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:38 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I have this plane and I have a hard time landing it because it keeps floating lol...

I have to really land mine by bringing it in and chop the power at the last 20 or so feet and completely kill the motor and get a nice landing out of it..

its just practice and he will be good..
Old 07-29-2003, 09:17 PM
joe_dejesus

shortman, I have the same plane and I have the same problem as you! It floats and floats, no tip stall

two things to check:

#1 check your wing incidence.
#2 make plane as light as possible!

If I would have "Just" joined wing and not checked incidence my wing would had been way off.

Built it light! I have a saito 1.80 & apc 16x8 prop and full of fuel
Plane is at 11lbs 5 oz

real fun plane! Slow speed flight is AWSOME, at just a few clicks above idle plane floats around, either inverted or upright... no tip stalls
Old 07-30-2003, 12:37 AM
Striker

Guys,

I have just had my 17th flight on my H9 Edge 540. It has a ZDZ 50cc, 5.7 HP engine up front. It swings a 22X10 at 6500 RPM and is still developing more power as it flies. I have read so many bad things about this plane before building it all of which I never experienced. The incidences has to be corrected though as mine was 2 deg out on the tail. Though my plane comes in at 14.5 lbs dry, its as aerobatic as can be and lands almost effortlessly. You do have to come in with a bit of power if not it will tipstall on landing. Though I have the CG quite forward it still does blenders, waterfalls and today I was able to torque roll it for a short time. I will be putting in a Menz 24X8 prop on it and moving the CG 3/16" aft tonight. I love this plane so far and I am sure as I am more comfy with it I will like it even more.
If this Edge was built well, it will fly well.

Striker.

PS I have never torn off the gear or pancaked on landing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97596_24912.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	54769  
Old 07-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Striker

Top view
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97598_24912.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	54770  
Old 07-30-2003, 12:52 AM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

I had a H9 edge540 & flew it hmm like 10 flights then got rid of it.It was the worst flying plane I have ever owned in all honesty.It wouldnt knife edge or tumble worth anything.I even shifted my CG around with no changes .It wasnt a good 3d plane either as its suppose to be.I however never had any problems with hard landings & ripping the gear out.Mine would float right in as gentle as can be.It was a pretty plane but just wasnt what I call a good flyer .I know 2 other guys here locally who owned one & say the same about it.After selling the edge I bought a DP 330 & PW 300 and are much much better planes.My dp 330 flies awesome and does perfect manuevers & with ease

Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 01:13 AM
joe_dejesus

keeping this plane light is key!

with a light wing load it does very good...
with alot of HP even a brick can be made to fly/hover...
Old 07-30-2003, 02:40 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hanger9 540

I too have a Hanger 9 540 with a Saito 180 for power. My plane floats and floats and floats and..... on landing. Our field is only 400 Ft with trees at each end so a long shallow glide path isn't' available. I had to add a lot of Expo to the elevator to keep it from being too pitch sensitive while landing. That seemed to help a lot.. I also have my servos all mounted in the fuse as shown on the plans. Regards BobH.