Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Newbie

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Newbie

Hey Guys,

I know that a lot of people hate the n00b threads, but some people like them. I've done a lot of reading and searching, so please don't point me towards the search bar. I'm looking for my first turbine model and will be saving up for it for the next while. It won't be immediate, but I like to obsess and get things perfectly straightened out from the get-go. Plus, half the fun for me is choosing the set-up.

Specifics: I want one jet that will fly IMAC-style maneuvers well and be easy to learn to fly jets on. I also wouldn't be opposed to a Scale (or sports-scale) jet. I'm really not looking for speed, but wouldn't mind it. I fly from a 425'x85' grass field with an extra 500' to the south and 400' to the north of clear (but not runway-grade) space but have access to a HUGE grass strip until I get used to it. Now, this is the really tricky part....I'm trying to keep it as absolutely cheap as possible without having to "buy twice". In fact, I'm trying to keep it from hitting $2k<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 AM
victorzamora

Default RE: Turbine Newbie

In an attempt to not clutter up the first post, I'll put information me here:<div>
</div><div>I flew my first jet this past weekend (Shokjet) and fell in love.  I've been flying R/C for 4 years and have gotten fairly proficient at 3D/IMAC (eg: 5 tail touches this past weekend, and 1000' long slow roll).  I fly experimental models with high wing loadings through Virginia Tech (averaging 40oz/in2 on a 72" WS plane).  Have successfully flown and landed a plane with a static margin of less than 1.  Have flown warbirds with elevated (but not ridiculous) wing loadings.</div><div>
</div><div>Let me know if there's anything else I need to address in either of these two posts.</div>
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Get a Reaction 54 kit (or find a good used one). Build it with trailing link LG from Dreamworks. You can put this together for under 4500 new depending on options and how you choose to finish it.

I have over 350 flights on mine off of a grass field. The Reaction is easy to fly but a bit more sporty than a ShokJet.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 06-22-2010, 11:19 AM
bluescoobydoo

if you were a complete beginner i would point you in the direction of boomerang jets but if you can do what you say you can then a f15 or l39, mb339 would be a good first scale jet, go for a well known brand of turbine wren or jetcat would be my choice again.
it's all down to budget as well
Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

I'm trying to keep it as absolutely cheap as possible without having to ''buy twice''. In fact, I'm trying to keep it from hitting $2k<br type=''_moz'' />
Cheap and turbines don't exactly mix. But if you are going to go that route I would say a Jet Joe 1400 turbine and a nitro models falcon 120 with trailing link gear for the grass runway. It will get you by and fly quite well. Just follow the large thread here in the jet forum on the falcon 120. If you spend a little more money you will be happier in the long run. Reaction, Boomerang, MB 339, F-15, Mig-15 all good starters.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
victorzamora

I kinda like the Reaction.  I've been looking at the Tamjets F16, too.  The price is right, and it looks good.  The question is whether or not it's easy to fly.<div>
</div><div> I am completely new with turbines.  The most experience I have with these things is I helped with 3 start-ups and flew like 7 laps on a Shokjet.  For that reason, I think I need to stay far from JetJoe turbines.  From what I've read, you have to be experienced to get them flying right.  Also, the fact that it's a jet is going to make me shake.</div><div>
</div><div>Is it a good plan to start with fixed gear and then invest in the retracts later, or is that just a waste of money?  Also, what brand planes should I be looking at for mb339's and L39's.  Both of those planes look good and seem to fly well.  I'm not stuck on those, but I want something that's a little more advanced than a ShokJet to carry me through years of flying.  I mean, I don't want to buy a Shokjet and then have to spend the money in a week to get something more exciting.  I feel like a guy with lots of sim-time and buddy-box time that wants an Ultra Stick as his first plane...but no real experience flying a trainer.  Should I buy a trainer and get bored, or should I get the Ultra Stick and stress a little more??  </div>
Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
victorzamora

Also, I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not great....I'm just better than bad.  And, I want a good "Second Jet" if such a thing exists.  Something kind of like the Ultra Stick in my analogy above, easy to go from where I'm at to where it's at...but I can learn to let it loose as time goes by.  Does that make any sense??  I don't know how to really phrase it.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Boomerang and a JeCat whatever the Sprint can be built up with fixed UC if you wish and is a very easy airframe to get experience on, once you have outgrown it, if that can happen, second hand values are good, a lot of very experienced Jet Jockies still take a Sprint to meetings to fly for fun.

Mike
Old 06-22-2010, 02:58 PM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Good luck finding something under 2k that is not jetjoe powered.
Steve
Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

He may be able to. I sold a perfectly flyable Cermark F-16 with a good running Simet 1200 for a little over that. It was a lot of fun and flew geat on just 12# of thrust.

David
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
victorzamora

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">I'm looking for a combo of used and temporarily fixed gear for now.  The guy who let me fly his Shokjet got his plane RTF for like $1700.  I'm thinking if I get a similar set-up, but pay an extra couple hundred for a nicer plane.  Then fork out an extra couple hundred for some retracts.<div>
</div><div>I'm just looking for a size so that I can start scavenging equipment for it!</div><div>
</div><div>Also, if y'all think that JetJoe is good...lemme know.  I HAVE heard that JetJoe has stepped up its QC.</div></div>
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

shokjet with a Jet Central Bee II would be the way to go if it were me for your price range. Though it will put you over the 2k mark. But its well worth it with the life time warranty on the turbine.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
victorzamora

A FG boomerang nano wouldn't be bad. Cheap, pretty, and other Boomerangs look like they do stuff kind of well (IMAC style flying). What do y'all think about those (I know bluescoobydoo mentioned them earlier, decided to give them another look).
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

nothing wrong with the boomers. the boomerang is what i flew until a fatal mid air with a UCanDO 3d
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 AM
victorzamora

Wow, that would piss me off.  I hate U-Can-Do's and Twists and planes of that sort anyway (not 3D, just pseudo-3D)....that would just push me over the edge.<div>
</div><div>My only concern is whether or not I'll get bored with it quickly.</div>
Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
JET FX

If you can find a quality second hand Roo or Rookie you would be hard pressed to find a better entry level aircraft for learning jet flight characteristics....

Also take a good look at the Kingtech K80 for power if you're after an economically priced "quaity" brand new turbine.

In my opinion forget the Boomerang types as seriously they offer little in my opinion in broader "flight skill" preparation for the faster sport and scale types that most of us will desire.... The Roo/Rookie on the other hand will offer you the visual, speed and landing practice that will go further toward preparing you for even some of the more complex handling jet types that you can then fly sooner and more confidently. You dont want a 'trainer' afterall you want a transitional type jet aircraft and this is why the delta design Roo/Rookie with their few interesting flight and handling characteristics are still such an ideal entry level or sport jet.

Cheers- Marty
Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

OK

Kingtech $1,700
Boomer Sprint $800
servos Hitech 5645x6 $300
retacts package $450

Total= $ 3250

minus retracts $ 450

$ 2800

This are the main parts that you need for a jet, yes there are a few more things that you will need that you can get later.

The boomer can be your second jet to fly for fun since it can do what you are looking for aerobatics, it was designed for that roll, after get yourself an L-39 or F-15.
When you don't feel like flying your high wing loaded yet ( L-39 F-15 ) then fly your second jet The boomer [8D]

Enjoy, choosing, buying, building and flying your first jet, it doesn't happens a second time. I have seen the faces of many first timers and you can tell they will never forget the joy.

My two centavos
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM
ajcoholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fly a Reaction, and a Roo, and have flown a number of other jets.

For IMAC style flying the ROO is not going to make you happy. ALso, 400' of grass will make take offs very tense (they take a little bit of a run before they want to lift off) as you will use every inch of that runway. I am no expert pilot, but I fail to see how flying a Roo (which is pretty easy actually) will take your skills farther than a REction or Boomerang.

I dont own a Boomer, but many friends do, and they can fly a complete envelope of aerobatics easily, and also clip along at a fast pace. As for getting bored, I wouldnt, and unless all you do it fly the circuit I doubt you will either.

The R54 is also a great "pattern" style plane. It grooves very well, is fast enough to be fun yet handles like a large "ugly stick" (I mean that in a good way). I love mine! And it gets off and back onto a short grass strip easily. 400' of grass will be no issue.

There are other jets that fit your flying and field (like the AD Phoenix) but are NO WAY going to be had for 2K... I have seen a used R54 ready to fly here in Canada as low as $2700 with retracts and turbine, but under 2K is very unlikely.

ANyhow, good luck and remember one man's opinion is never to be taken as the gospel truth... take everyone's advice and make a descision based on that. We all have different views.

AJC
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

A Boomerang Elan with trailing link retracts ( dreamworks) and a Wren 120 will keep you thrilled for a long time + they are really good on grass fields
Also it would be easy to put fixed gear on this plane if you don't want to fool with retracts. The Elan comes in several color schemes.

The main thing about being a turbine newbie is learning how to start the turbine reliably, run it, up and set up your failsafe etc. One method of doing this is to put it on a simple test stand made from particleboard with 2X4 attached to oneside tomount the turbine on. Then you attach this to a picnic table or other sturdy base and practice getting familiar with your turbine.

Whatever you get, if it is retract equipped,definetly get trailing link type struts as they are very forgiving for grass field operations

P.S. Digitec makes a real nice set that will fit both the Elan and the XLII and the servo is mounted onthe retract ...THAT simplifies
front retract install
Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Vettdriver

No reason to get discouraged about price.
The single most expensive piece us the turbine.

I just picked up an P-80 right here on RCU for $1025 shipped and it runs great.

Add a Reaction kit or Falcon 120, build it with used retracts & brakes and you can come in well under $2000
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
victorzamora

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">I'm hoping to be able to find something similar.  i'm hoping for either a P60-sized or a P80-sized turbine.  It seems like the difference between an 80N and a 60N jet is insignificant (a couple hundred bucks at most).  If I can save by getting a P80 first, I'm not going to pass it up.  My plan is to scrape some pennies together and buy a turbine, then scrape some more together for the ARF.  I have a 50cc plane and would be willing to strip it for parts to get the jet flying early.  Also, buying the turbine first will give me a good reason to mount it and get used to it.  However, it seems like with a Kero Start turbine that starts are as easy as an electric that takes a while and MIGHT burst into flames .<div>
</div><div>Also, $2k isn't a strict limit.  I'm just trying to go as conservatively (read: cheap) as possible with reliable equipment.</div></div>
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Regarding Turbines, Wren make a kit version of their WREN70 which is 15.5lbs thrust...super easy to build and you learn a LOTabout turbines this way...

SEE&gt;&gt;&gt; http://wrenturbines.co.uk/usa/engine...ren70/packages
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM
victorzamora

I'd love a brand new Wren, even a Kit.  However, I'd also love a brand new Jet Cat or JetCentral turbine just as much.  And a $2k to $2.5k turbine doesn't fit in the $2k total budget...even by a long shot.  If you have a turbine you'd be willing to sponsor me with, I'd be willing to take it off your hands though .
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM
ajcoholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vettdriver

No reason to get discouraged about price.
The single most expensive piece us the turbine.

I just picked up an P-80 right here on RCU for $1025 shipped and it runs great.

Add a Reaction kit or Falcon 120, build it with used retracts & brakes and you can come in well under $2000
Dont forget about decent quality servos, a receiver, two battery packs, switches, extensions, air trap, festo fittings, etc. ALL that stuff adds up to several hundred dollars. Unless you can get a used airframe and turbine cheap, there is no way you can build a decent jet for $2K IMO.

SOme things are OK to do cheaply. Some are not. For instance, I was given my Kangaroo airframe for free. I bought a good running RAM 750 for $700 which I was able to convert to auto start myself (but that still cost me about $300 in parts). I bought good quality Hitec servos, and decent quality retracts and wheels and brakes. It still cost me over $2K and I was trying hard to build it as cheaply as I could.

Going fixed gear, and no working struts, will save you a lot of $$ but then you hammer the crap out of the model on grass.

Buying a complete RTF airframe is generally cheaper than trying to get all the parts. Especially if its someone who needs the cash for something else. Deals are out there, but you have to look and act fast.

AJC
Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM
victorzamora

That's kind of the plan, but I'm too broke to buy a whole thing at once.  If I can get a good deal on a turbine, then it defines what else I'm looking for.  Even if I have to buy a new airframe, I feel like I'd be better off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.