Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

striping tape woes

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

striping tape woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:28 PM
skunk39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default striping tape woes

I have tried using self adhesive striping tape for various trim purposes; IE: flames, stars, accented trim lines...ETC. The problem that I'm having is that after a period of time the ends of the tape want to start lifting or curling up, requiring me to have to go back over the lines. But after a period of time, it reoccurs again. I have tried both the "Goldberg" and "Great planes" brands of tape. Thinking one may be better (adhesive wise) than the other. I have also tried thoroughly cleaning the surfaces before application of the tape with alcohol, acetone, windex, and every time, after about a week or so, the tape wants to start lifting at the ends. This is happening on planes that have not been flown yet, making fuel or wind abrasion non issues. Any suggestions or techniques to solve this issue would be appreciated.

Thanx, Skunk
Old 07-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Juice

Use the Top Flite Smart Stripe tool and make your stripes out of monokote. As you know, monokote will not lift. I've recently bought it and it works great. The stripes I put down on the fuse get a lot of exhust residue on them, but they show absolutely no sign of lifting.

Juice
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM
kinahora
My Feedback: (2)

Default striping

Juice,
Your idea was just what I was looking for. For accent stripes between two colors do I want flat black or regular black?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:57 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use regular black.

Also, if you're using tape, a drop of CA (thin or medium) on the end will hold it down for good.

I do it every time I add a stripe.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Skyman721
My Feedback: (2)

I also have the Top Flite Smart Stripe tool, and the stripes only stay down for a while. following a suggestion, for my second airplane, I applied clear nail polish over the stripe edges, and also for sealing the Monocote seams on my floats
It works perfectly, dries so that its unnoticeable, and stops that darn lifting!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:45 PM
MSP1957

Is the nail polish fuel proof?

Michael
Old 07-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Topeka Tom

You might try the striping tape sold in auto supply stores. That's what JKAerotech recommends on their website.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:21 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After applying the sticky back tapes did you set the plane out doors in the sun to set the tape ? It helps but the fuel will get to it in time. Use clear urethane over it where exposed to fuel . MAX H.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:08 AM
skunk39

Thanks for the help folks. Kinda makes you wonder if it's worth the hassle. especially if we're admitting that it will only last for a certain period of time.

Thanks again.........Skunk