Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 PM
TSR10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

so my one battery just took a crap and was wounder what is a good battery to get??? i use my car for drifting and im sick of short ass run times!
Thanks!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Battery

are you ready to go lipo? you can get a lipo battery and a charger for about $100

other than that, just look for a nimh pack with a higher MAH rating.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
TSR10

is lipo really that good??
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: TSR10

is lipo really that good??
YES, its is much better than any nimh pack. i have a couple of 2S 7.4v 5000mah lipos. they cost me $30 each, and have great runtime. they also dont get nearly as hot as nimh packs.
and chargers for lipo have dropped in price alot. there is a lipo charger on the hobbyking website that will charge lipo/nimh batteries and only cost $35.
my 3s 3000mah lipos($25) push my rustler vxl over 50mph and last for 15minutes on a charge.
my 2s 5000mah lipo in my losi strike can last around 25-30 minutes.

oh, lipos also weigh less than nimh packs. that doesnt helps acceleration, top speed, and can reduce damage with the truck flips/rolls.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
stampedevxl

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4025
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i would go with this pairing:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...product=10098#
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s.../_accessories#
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=6256#
less money, better lipo.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...w/_accessories

Even better.Nitro i think we've gone over this before

Go hobbyking(city), best bang for your buck.

Also, it would help if we knew what car it was for?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
TSR10

oh yathe car isthe exceed drift car with an hpi motor19 turn. ya my run times are like 15 min if im lucky so these lipo pieces are soundin pretty darn crispy! and theyer a crump load cheaper then what i was told, some dude at an rc shop told me i was lookin at over 100 bucks for just the charger soooo ya this issoundin a lot better now haha
Old 07-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: TSR10

oh ya the car is the exceed drift car with an hpi motor 19 turn. ya my run times are like 15 min if im lucky so these lipo pieces are soundin pretty darn crispy! and theyer a crump load cheaper then what i was told, some dude at an rc shop told me i was lookin at over 100 bucks for just the charger soooo ya this is soundin a lot better now haha
I try to support my lhs and they thank me by trying to rip me off. I hate them and they can go out of business for all I care.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Slo-V Flyer

The hobby shops themselves pay a lot higher than most of you think. They make a profit margin of maybe 25-50% on the cars and kits, and maybe 100% on the spare parts etc, compared to toy stores that typically make 100% margin. Once you own a private small business you'll understand why some LHS charge way more than others. We had a small time shop here that sold custom hand made brushed motors, and also some RTR and other kits, but the inventory was small, older, and mostly 20-30% more expensive than the mainstream prices. Then we have the big chain store hobbyshop with decent prices on everything with a few exceptions, and I go there for everything parts related except a few items like brushless systems (online) and now lipos (HK), or other obscure items.

In any case, yes LIPO is so much more higher performance than Nimh in terms of not just speed, but overall gain. Less weight per unit of capacity (50%) and higher discharge rates and voltage under load, and longer USABLE battery life in my experience. I went through 10 Nimh packs, usually each lasted a few months before taking a crap, and that's with charge them at 2-3 amps (3000-4200 mah DTX and IB packs). Lipo will be more consistent, generally last longer, has more usable capacity.

Typically a 6-cell 7.2v Nimh will drop down to 6-7 volts under load such as acceleration, and maybe 7-7.5 volts when you level off and cruise around. A cheap 2s 7.4v lipo will usually drop to 7 volts under acceleration and hover over 7.5 volts or more when cruising. Those aren't exact #s but it gives you an idea. Also, a Lipo has a more flatter voltage curve when discharging. That means unlike Nimh that have lots of punch hot off the charger, and then slow down gradually, a lipo will go strong pretty much the entire pack, before taking a dive at the end. Also lipo battery packs need a safety feature, low voltage cut-off, which keeps you from discharging them below 3.0 volts per cell when depleted. Most modern brushless ESC have this feature, or you can get a lipo alarm for $5 off ebay that warns you.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
maximumflight

I've heard about Horizon Hobby and Hobby King, but a new upcoming brand is Zeus for lipos from a website called http://www.powercellbattery.com.  The 2200 mah 20C provides awesome power in my planes but they only problem is they have a limited selection.  But their 2200 mah provides about 7-8 minute flights with power to spare.  I've had close to 20 flights on the battery so far with no power issues at all. 

But for the price on the few they have, it can't be beat.  They have about 6 different lipos right now .  http://powercellbattery.stage.thomas...ower?forward=1. Not sure if you're looking for a particular size and I know you're looking for packs for your car, but they do have a range of mahs and voltages.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM
rc awesome

I've had a good experience with my turnigy batteries (knock on wood)