Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rustler Can't Do Wheelies Anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
noobrcenthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler Can't Do Wheelies Anymore!

So, I seem to have another problem on my hands and soI updated the title to match the issue to make it more relevant. I tightened the spur gear all the way then back 1/4 of a turn. The gear mesh is set right and everything however when I run the car, it doesn't do wheelies like it used to before.

Before when I'd hit the throttle, it would immediately do a wheelie before taking off. Now it seems like it takes a second to think and does no wheelies. Any suggestions?

(InitialPost Below)
Hey Guys,
I recently bought a new slipper clutch rebuild kit because apparently my slipper clutch wasn't tight enough.I read in the forum that to tighten it all the way and then turn it back 1/4 the way. I tightened it all the way but it seems that the spring has gotten stuck and Icannot release it at all.I applied some WD40 and tried to move it back but it just does not give. What are my options?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rustler Can't Do Wheelies Anymore!

Now there's an odd problem.

Is this on a Savage?

The spring is stuck, but you can get the nut off......right?

Take the nut off. Under it is a little washer with a hex shaped hole. Maybe the washer is twisted and stuck holding the spring. Grip the washer with small vive-grips or plies and see if you can twist it back and forth and pop it off.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
noobrcenthusiast

This is on a Rustler VXL. I was able to get the nut off but when I put everything back together it seems as though the spur gear is now having a lot of trouble moving. I tightened all the way then back about 1/4. Any help?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM
noobrcenthusiast

When when I spin the wheel with everything off, the slipper hub is still on there and it doesn't move like it used to. I have a replacement piece but I don't know how to remove it.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Argess

Ah .....sorry, I"m not familiar with your vehicle. However, if it were me, I'd take everything back apart and re-assemble. For example, the hub behind the slipper may sit on a pin that goes through the shaft and the hub may not be lined up properly.

Checkk your owner's manaul for an exploded view showing all the parts. If you don't have one, try the Traxxas webite for a manual download.

Looks like I goofed on the spring nut thing. I forgot in your title you said the nut was stuck. In the post, it sounded like the spring was stuck.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: noobrcenthusiast

When when I spin the wheel with everything off, the slipper hub is still on there and it doesn't move like it used to. I have a replacement piece but I don't know how to remove it.
post pics of the parts you are speaking of. i might know the problem, but its hard to say since we sometimes use different terms for the same parts.

the shaft that the slipper clutch fits on, it has a drive pin near the tranny case. if that pin fell out, and you put the slipper clutch on and tightened it down it would be pressed on the tranny case. it should be pressed against the drive pin.
if you dont have a manual, look it up on the traxxas website. an exploded view of the tranny parts may help you figure out the issue.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
noobrcenthusiast

Hey,
    I went ahead and replaced that drive pin as well as the slipper clutch and there was some dirt in there that I cleaned up and the gear is now spinning pretty well. I set the gear mesh and everything is okay however there is a slight wobble in the spur gear.

Everything is new including the pads and everything, any idea what could be an issue?
Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
mrbonez

make sure the little pin behind the spur is in evenly and make sure the shaft that comes from the tranny isn't bent
Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Argess

I know on a Savage, parts arn't made perfectly, so if you remove the backplate, rotate it 180deg and re-install, the wobble may become better or worse. Trial fit to see which has the least wobble. A small amount of wobble is typical. Just make sure when you adjust your mesh, there arn't any tight spots. If there are, adjust for correct mesh at the tight spot and the fact it is a bit loose everywhere else is OK.

If you've had improvement from cleaning away dirt, maybe you should dismantle the transmission and clean inside it a bit.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM
noobrcenthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go ahead and clean it out completely a bit later today.

Also, how do I tell if the shaft out of the tranny is bent because visually it doesn't seem like it. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Argess

If the shaft is out, you can put a straight-edge against it and see if it's straight.

If it's in, clamp a piece of wire,, like coat-hangar wire, to the chassis and bend it so the end of the wire almost touches the end of the shaft. Rotate the shaft and see if the gap between the wire end and the shaft end changes noticeably. You really shouldn't be able to see any change as the shaft is rotated, although I'm sure some could be measured.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 PM
mrbonez

sorry had to edit . take notes from the advice you get on here there are alot of really good people on here with years and years of experience and tons of know how like that wire tip thats a very good one
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
noobrcenthusiast

Thanks for the help. I seemed to have fixed the issue but I really wish it wasn't raining so I could go give it a whirl (considering I use foam tires). Either way, thank you guys and once it stops raining, I'll be able to know if I truly fixed it! Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
noobrcenthusiast

So, I seem to have another problem on my hands. I tightened the spur gear all the way then back 1/4 of a turn. The gear mesh is set right and everything however when I run the car, it doesn't do wheelies like it used to before.

Before when I'd hit the throttle, it would immediately do a wheelie before taking off. Now it seems like it takes a second to think and does no wheelies. Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what brushless system are you using?<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>You may have the punch setting on the esc too low and it wont put all the power out instantly.</div><div>
</div><div>Or it may be that your receiver is getting interferience from motor or esc noise, try and place it as far away from them as possible.</div>
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
noobrcenthusiast

I just have a stock Rustler VXL so the motor and stuff is the same. The truck was working perfectly fine till I had an issue with the friction pads and replaced them however I followed the instructions on installing new ones and everything.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:17 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

maybe a cell died/dieing in the pack
Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah could be your battery getting weak.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
noobrcenthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I checked the battery, it works fine but probably is dying out. Whats a good replacement lipo 3s that I won't have to use a solder on since I really dont want to do that because I'm afraid ill ruin something.

Also, I called Traxxas and they told me to inspect gears once i open up the transmission. Do you know what they could be talking about? They asked me to refer to the exploded views on the Traxxas website but Im still new to this so I'm a bit worried about opening it up and exploring. Is it fairly simple? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 PM
noobrcenthusiast

I was wondering if anyone can help. Thank you so much!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM
dcornwell14
My Feedback: (1)

Just found this thread so you may have fixed the problem already. Dont know much about the batteries tho. As for inspecting the gears, they probably mean to make sure that none of the gears are stripped. This can happen when the slipper clutch is too tight.  The exploded views on the traxxas website look VERY confusing and intimidating, but theyre not as bad as they look. I had to open up a tranny within the first week of getting my first rc and was able to get it all back together and working good. Good Luck!

Heres the link to the exploded view...

http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/3707_tranny.pdf</p>