Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Build your own gas engine from a "kit"

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here
View Poll Results: A poll
I would buy an engine in kit form
45.63%
I just want to fly and dont want to build engines too
10.68%
I have the knowledge and confidence to build an engine
32.04%
i would like to learn more by building my own engine
11.65%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Build your own gas engine from a "kit"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 AM
clivemc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build your own gas engine from a "kit"

thought it would be interesting to see how many guys flying gassers actually havethe knowledge or inclination to learn how to build their own gas engines from a kit form. there are so many guys with very little knowledge flying gas engines that this may be a good way for them to learn more about an engine and what makes it what it is.

By kit form I mean an engine where you get all the parts in a box along with instructions on assembly - much like an ARF plane.
this is not a poll on converting chainsaw motors..........</p>
Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 AM
dbspl

Default RE: Build your own gas engine from a

I received an email from MTengines they were going to offer their 35 cc engine in a kit. By the breakdown in the picture they provided it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to assemble. Based on the price (around $220), I might have to give it a try.

dbspl
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It would be better if the kit offerings were a little more viable.

A friend bought one and as far as what he did was fine but the quality of the ignition parts was terrible.

And then the engine ran OK after changing out all the ignition components but just wasn't very powerful so it was sold for someone to use in a Cub type plane

I prefer to convert chainsaws asyou need to know all about them and often disassemble - reassemble and you feel as you know all about them.

The chain saws, you can run them before hand and often know all about the power capability before you purchase one.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

From what I've read about the 40 kits, they would be good for educational purposes but don't look for a lot of performance. If you just have to assemble one, it would be better to buy a better engine and disassemble it. Better yet have one of your flying buddies disassemble it out of your sight and bring you the parts. With the reassembly it is the same learning scenario, but a better engine. I believe is is just a way for manufacturers to sell a cheaper engine without paying someone at the factory to build it. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that case, if the parts are general available Chinese items, the engine should sell for less than USD 50.00
Old 08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
w8ye

I think a great deal of their quality control, if there is such a thing, is at assembly.

When you get a bag of parts, it is a dice toss as to the quality?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I'd love to see some of the well known, proven manufacturers offer their engines in a "kit" form at a reduced price with, of course, reduced warranty coverage.  (I certainly wouldn't expect them to warranty a problem caused by my workmanship)

I'd enjoy the assembly, appreciate the discount, and accept the risk of reduced or absent warranty coverage in exchange.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey if you want to build a engine start collecting used parts at small engine repair shops. They give em away. Take all the good parts &amp; build a engine. You can get a CD ignition &amp; install it. Prop hubs can be bought on-line or made. See engine conversions. Capt,n
Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

In that case, if the parts are general available Chinese items, the engine should sell for less than USD 50.00
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-19-2010, 12:17 AM
tomyrcmodels

I agree Pe Reivers. if the kit from general available Chinese items. like chain saw . or Grass cutter ,it's wont be sell more than $50 . but from hobby engine. it's will take more expensive than that . even only the CDI unit( RCEXL) are more expensive then $50 on the market .
Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 AM
grossy2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guy's know there is alreay a kit out there.
CRRC-Pro make it. It's the GF40 Kit.
Comes with everything including a tube of Gasket goo.
Great little engine for the price.

Cheers
Grossy
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: tomyrcmodels

I agree Pe Reivers. if the kit from general available Chinese items. like chain saw . or Grass cutter ,it's wont be sell more than $50 . but from hobby engine. it's will take more expensive than that . even only the CDI unit( RCEXL) are more expensive then $50 on the market .
<hr />Some what wrong Tommy. A RCXCEL CDI unit can be bought for as low as $34 from H. King. Also some of the engines in Grass cutters like made by Echo, Stihl and many others are (hate to say it) better quality than a lot of China made engines. DLE is the better one from China. I have and still am working on many types &amp; brandsof engines....Capt,n
Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
tomyrcmodels

I know hobbyking are alway try and almost did make the lowerst price on the market . but for order any item ,need to pay the freight .and if somethings wrong .need to return to HK to do the service . it's cost about same as buy this CDI unit from C&H in USA. sorry about Bill close the C&H. bill's works and services are true second to none !
Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
captinjohn

There is several places to buy a RCXEL ignition at various prices. But the orginal CH ignition is said to be much better. There are many in use for sure.

I hope Bill keeps getting better&amp; wish him the very Best. Capt,n</p>
Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 AM
mtenginesusa

MT35CC QB KIT. most main parts were assembled in factory. It takes less than one hour to finish assembling the kit. Have fun and save money while getting a complete high performance engine within one hour

Lifetime Warranty on Parts

http://www.mtenginesusa.com/products...uick+Built+kit

MTENGINESUSA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78437.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1486967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61787.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1486968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29316.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1486969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56791.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1486970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx21592.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1486971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22260.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1486972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72005.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1486973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56074.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1486974  

Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 AM
panzermouse

SUB
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 AM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

<hr />Some what wrong Tommy. A RCXCEL CDI unit can be bought for as low as $34 from H. King. Also some of the engines in Grass cutters like made by Echo, Stihl and many others are (hate to say it) better quality than a lot of China made engines. DLE is the better one from China. I have and still am working on many types & brands of engines....Capt,n

Don't forget : the RCEXL ignition for FTL engines (34 USD) comes without sensor (12 USD), and add the shipment .......

Regards
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: mtenginesusa

MT35CC QB KIT. most main parts were assembled in factory. It takes less than one hour to finish assembling the kit. Have fun and save money while getting a complete high performance engine within one hour

Lifetime Warranty on Parts

http://www.mtenginesusa.com/products...uick+Built+kit

MTENGINESUSA
<hr />Is the Lifetime Warranty on the ignition also? Also where do we get this Warranty service? Shipping could be very expensive. Thanks, Capt,n
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It would be better if the kit offerings were a little more viable.

A friend bought one and as far as what he did was fine but the quality of the ignition parts was terrible.

And then the engine ran OK after changing out all the ignition components but just wasn't very powerful so it was sold for someone to use in a Cub type plane

I prefer to convert chainsaws as you need to know all about them and often disassemble - reassemble and you feel as you know all about them.

The chain saws, you can run them before hand and often know all about the power capability before you purchase one.

I liked the Brillelli 46cc engine so much, that I bought the Poulan chainsaw that used that engine. Very satisfied with both.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Hey if you want to build a engine start collecting used parts at small engine repair shops. They give em away. Take all the good parts & build a engine. You can get a CD ignition & install it. Prop hubs can be bought on-line or made. See engine conversions. Capt,n

Now here is a man with his head screwed on straight. Good thinking, captinjohn.

Be sure to buy a bottle of this or that from time to time from the small engine repair shops. You want them to smile at the prospect of seeing you because they might make a buck or two. If they are frowning when they see you, you won't be welcomed back any time soon. How do I know? This is how I treated my customers when I was selling two-way business radios. I did my best to bring a smile to their faces. It must have worked - but I'll drop it right there.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bull_hit! There is zero difference in quality between a well made saw engine and a well made RC engine. The only real difference between the two occurs at the propeller hub. The saw engine will have a flywheel/fan/magneto coupler while the RC engine will have a simple hub. The RC engine should be the less expensive of the two. Stop trying to impress people with tripe. It doesn't work on people that know better. In selling an engine kit you won't be reducing the cost of the kit an amount equal to the labor saved in the assembly. You'll actually clear a larger profit than you would have with an assembled engine. But American gas newbies are pretty foolish so you'll probably do all right. The lack of knowledge and understanding with the newbies almost assures that engine kits would sell. Stupid.

Another nice thing about selling an assembly kit is the fact there is no warranty associated with it. The kit distributor only has to say the assembly was done incorrectly, end of warranty.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
w8ye

Hitch up the band wagon?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm fully aware that my post is going to anger a few people and raise them to arms. Perhaps a lot, but there's no stretch of the imagination in any of it. The actual production cost of a Chinese 30 to 45cc engine is not much more than about $50.00, including assembly labor. A "do it yourself" assembly kit would likely sell for upwards of @200.00, plus whatever the manufacturer could add on for shipping. Some of the shipping charges I've seen had to have been done with some pretty spendy shipping services that nobody has ever heard of before or since. Then you might get to buy your own ignition for another $55.00 to $75.00 and in the end have no warranty for any of it when your done. The engine quality would be largely dependant on what the manufacturer turned out, with the person doing the assembly only having extremely limited control of the end product quality.

Captn has it right. If you want to do a real "assemble it yourself" project pick up used parts at a saw shop. Have a front hub machined and buy an ignition. Done deal with a bullet proof engine like a Sachs, Echo, Stihl, or Husky that will last you a lifetime with no worries for about $200.00.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM
w8ye

I would like to second the name brand chainsaw motion
Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM
captinjohn

Thanks TOM for the moral booster! That reminds me I do have a brand new Echo short block &amp; one Zenoah Red Max to finnish! Capt,n

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.