Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

oil for zenoah

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

oil for zenoah

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 PM
loosenut510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil for zenoah

can i use just weed wacker oil or maybe 2 stroke outboard oil??? what is good oil to use in it that doesnt defeat the purpose of gas over nitro CHEAPER TO RUN</p>
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 AM
cheesewizz69

Default RE: oil for zenoah

This question has been asked so many times before in one form or another and you are going to get just as many answers to this question, each person has the favorite brand.

Use the search function.

From what I have learned 8 oz to the gallon of any good quality sythetic brand 2 stroke oil after break in is the way to go.

These are some of the better brands out there:
Amzoil (saber)
Honda HP2
Cool Blue
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 AM
siberianhusky

I'd never cheap out on oil! It's the life of your engine, The 3$ more to buy good oil is not much compared to a premature engine rebuild, There is no way a gallon of gas and a 1/4 bottle oil is expensive compared to 40$ a gallon for 30% nitro fuel. Even at Canadian prices I wouldn't be spending much more than 7$ a gallon to run using Klotz oil and Sunoco Gold gas.
Honda is good, I've used it for break in on 2 Honda MX bikes, following manufactured directions.
Klotz R50 is what I use in my racing bikes and karts. I run it down to 50:1 no wear issues at all no carbon buildup. I'm currently without a gas boat may be a JAE rigger happening this winter. This last year I've gone the other direction and have built a couple of .12 nitro boats, Talk about cheap to build and run!
Never liked Amsoil tried the dominator racing oil and it leaves lots of carbon on the exhaust port and tons of spooge out the end of the pipe! Still have most of that bottle in the garage, won't even use it in my weedeater, too messy! And hard to get a good reading off a plug, always looked rich when the engine was telling me different.
Stay away from anything designed for a outboard engines, usually labeled tc-w3 I believe. Will not take the heat without breaking down like other oils.
One of the Klotz oils has a percentage of castor in it Super Techniplate. The castor provides the best heat protection. Klotz also makes an RC specific oil designed for gas engines, never used it but it is 8$ a litre. 32:1 ratio listed on the bottle.
Buy a gallon of good oil, much cheaper that way than by the liter.
I would stay away from any of the 50:1 oils, you will be running a much higher % of oil than this. Usually the 50:1 oils have a thicker viscosity to provide more protection at dilute mixes. You are after film strength not viscosity in these little engines.
Yamalube just smells bad! Maybe just me but it smells like a hillbilly burning off last years dirty socks in his still! Klotz has a great smell! If you use it you will find yourself putting it in everything 2 stroke just to get that "race" smell. Smells even better mixed with 115 octane race gas!
Weedeater and outboard oil (cheap oil) is not designed to hold up to the extremes racing engines see, Your rc boat motor will likely see a lot higher rpm than any weedeater or outboard as well as more heat.
I bought a used rotax cart engine, the guy threw in a few bottles of the wally mart oil he had been running, knew it needed a rebuild so I didn't care but you should have seen the amount of aluminum from the piston skuffed off at the exhaust port! Combo of cheap oil and bad jetting.
In an endouro a few years back I put a stick through the rad of my kawi KDX, The bike was overheating but I did make the next checkpoint, no engine damage using Klotz R50, still running that piston in that bike. Been a complete Klotz convert since then.
Really any of the top name oils will be good, just a matter of finding the one that you like and works well in your application. Just because the Amsoil Dominator/Interceptor didn't work well in my dirtbikes doesn't mean it wouldn't like a sustained wide open run in a boat motor. A dirtbike is on and off the throttle a lot more. In Canada you can get Amsoil at Canadian Tire parts stores for a good price.
I seem to remember using Castrol 2t years ago and didn't have any probs with it. Probably about the cheapest I'd go and available everywhere.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
loosenut510

what about royal purple 2 cycle oil?????
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
siberianhusky

Honestly never seen royal purple products for sale in any of the bike and kart shops I go to. Probably have to go to a speed shop around here. I've read about them and would try it I imagine it would be about the same cost as Honda. Maybe cheaper?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Johnnysplits

loosenut510 - Just buy any 100% synthetic 2 cycle oil that your comfortable with. 20 people will give you 20 different answers. I happen to use redline racing 2 cycle race oil mixed at 32:1
Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 PM
exotica

...try using Castrol A747 Racing 2 stroke oil. Was recommended to use it and very happy with it.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
apache 56

castrol A747 , GREAT OIL... . BUT THEN EVERY ONE IS DIFFERENT i gess it pays to pay for good oil. seeing its the blood the motor lives on...bad blood bad motor.....
Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 PM
loosenut510

i got royal purple synthetic at summit racing $10/qt
Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
gtdad

Honda HP2 mixed at 8:1 (8 oz-gal)
Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Darkseacret