Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Decal Sources For RC Boats?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Decal Sources For RC Boats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM
tennessee_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decal Sources For RC Boats?

I have a Warehouse Hobbies Magnum 57 and would like to put agreat decal designon it. Can anyonehere recommend a source for RCboat decals?

Thank you.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
pokaplaya22
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Decal Sources For RC Boats?

http://www.callie-graphics.com/aboutus.php

check Callie's site
Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Darkseacret

My friend took his boat to a local sign shop. They did the windows, #3s and yellow strips all for around $ 25
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52236.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1499202  
Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy at Perormance Graphix did mine

http://www.pgsignsofva.com/16%20Boat%20decals.html

here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...mpage_2/tm.htm
Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody that sells stickers decals etc will do you some for a decent price in my experience,no need to pay a fortune either,lets face it theyre easy enough to do if they have a vinyl plotter,cutter and decent software.Some of the prices some charge are just rediculous so do yourself a favour find someone willing to do it for a fare price and dont pay through the nose.A full vinyl wrap takes a bit more work obviously but just decent decals are cheap and easy enough to do and many can be found on ebay very cheap even on good quallity vinyl,Flame suit on
Mart
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
mistycreekboats

Mart
Isent Jimmy pictures of my boat with a ruler to show scale - told him what I wanted = Drambuie ....... Best 50.00 Ispent in a long time

Hope things are going good - I seen more of your boats around ... that's cool

Name:	Sq48080.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1499415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48080.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1499416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50882.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1499417  
Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
team esp

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

...lets face it theyre easy enough to do if they have a vinyl plotter,cutter and decent software.
Mart
A decent cutter, software, and an assortment of vinyl can run you well over $5k. You can drop another $1-3K on Vectors or invest the time to do it all from scratch. Cheap vinyl that will look like trash in no time (on a boat) costs me $80/roll. Quality cast vinyl that is water/fuel resistant and worth me tying my business to is $225/roll. Granted, r/c decals only use a small portion of a roll, but the investment is much greater than you often think. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 AM
martno1fan

All i can say is the vinyl decals ive had made very reasonably priced have lasted me well over 5 years with no clear coat and exposed to gas etc with no issues,so id say its quality vinyl in fact 7-10 yrs life its supposed to have and thats when exposed to the elements outside which our boats arent so they should last a lot longer for our use so ill keep using my sources cheers .Ive used 3 different guys and all of them have been equal as regards quality ,you dont allways get what you pay for sometimes you get stung with over priced decals.Id expect to pay more if i was having a full wrap made but for decals made to the size i need then why pay more than you have to ?.If these guys making my decals are happy giving good quallity for good prices it keeps me happy and im not going to pay more than i need to.
Randy $50 is very reasonable and i wasnt aiming my coments at Jimmy ,ive yet to use him but i know his prices are very good.The union jack flags i have on the side of mine cost me arround the same with a few more thrown in but another sign guy wanted£50 for the same ones,thats what im talking about shop arround because some over charge a lot .
Mart
ps yea Randy my boats are gaining a great rep with lots of racers and sports boaters buying them here in the UK and quite a few gone arround Europe too .
Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
team esp

Mart, my comment wasn't that you personally weren't getting a good deal on graphics... it was about your statement, lol. There are enough people out there thinking that graphics for an R/C boat should only cost $10. I've sold to people who just wanted some simple logo for $3, and people who wanted custom scale replica graphics/paint masks for $100+. I was just pointing out that there IS a sizable investment for those of us that do it for a living.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM
martno1fan

I know what your saying,my point was there are people willing to do good deals for us if we shop arround.I can see where a full wrap is a lot of work and well worth the price but for most decals theres plenty available for a lot less than people may think.As for name decals its not more dificult to spell Drambuie than it is Waverider but i bet the price is a lot different .I paid £15 -$23 for 4 sets of name decals,waverider navaho 58 and waverider apache 58 along with 4 for my website too,think i got a great deal for those they also came in any colour i wanted.As i think i mentioned if someone wanted a wrap to copy a design from a real boat then i can see how that would cost a lot more obviously.
Mart
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
dr drip

I have been doing decals for 15 years and am astounded at the price some charge.....yes there is a difference in vinyl and some times it is just a name you are paying for. I have bought my own Roland cutter and software and cut a number of decals each year. I don't do this as a main source of income, a hobby only, just tired of paying through the nose for basic decals. You can see some of the ones I do at,

www.garthstoysandhobbies.ca
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: dr drip

I have been doing decals for 15 years and am astounded at the price some charge.....yes there is a difference in vinyl and some times it is just a name you are paying for. I have bought my own Roland cutter and software and cut a number of decals each year. I don't do this as a main source of income, a hobby only, just tired of paying through the nose for basic decals. You can see some of the ones I do at,

Nice to see another Canuck helping 'the boys'

Cheers
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 AM
martno1fan

I rest my case,thanks for clearing that one up ,nice work too.Saved your site,might be interested in some if you ship to UK .
Mart
Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 AM
dr drip

Mart...no worries, I will ship anywhere....maybe we can work a deal on a hull...LOL...a lot of decals to cover that. If you need something and it is to costly to ship, I could e-mail a bitmap and you could have it cut there.

Garth
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 AM
martno1fan

Yea think shipping alone would be a tad expensive for this size boat anyway.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
team esp

I rest my case,thanks for clearing that one up .
Mart
That rests my case too. We're obviously talking about two different things. Simple 1/2 color vectors scaled to a size you need should be rather inexpensive.

I still stick by the quality of the vinyl statement I made. I think it reflects bad upon me to spend 2hrs. on something simple like below and ship it out in cheap vinyl. Sure, I might save $10 in materials, but the difference in quality is something I'd rather not be associated with. By quality I mean- thickness (good vinyl will be 1/4 the thickness and actually look like paint, and not a sticker), adhesive (one that will 100% withstand fuel when you happen to drip it down the side of your new boat, and still "let go" of your boat 8yrs. from now when you decide you want something new- and not rip your paint off or leave a mess of glue behind that has to be sanded off).

I think in the end we're just talking about 2 different things. I'll still stick with my belief that you get what you pay for...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM
martno1fan

The decals i use are top quality vinyl and theyre not cheap stickers .As i said before theyre made from 7-10 yr vinyl,im not going to appologise for getting them at a good price .As i also said ive had decals on boats for 4 yrs or so without any problems even when fuel has been spilt on there,thats because theyre good quallity .
Mart

Name:	If10883.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1500846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15876.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1500847  
Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
dr drip

I agree with team ESP on some points....you do get what you pay for...that being said, I use mostly 2ml vinyl and do one color at a time.....I could print on the vinyl as well...but still hard to not leave a line when you clear coat.

I have always been of the opinion, that a good scale boat should be painted, not decaled...the flames on a nice hotrod are painted, not decals.

We all have an opion and all are right.....I prefer to use simple decals and change the design often....makes people think you have more boats then you have...LOL
Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
team esp

I agree with team ESP on some points....you do get what you pay for...that being said, I use mostly 2ml vinyl and do one color at a time.....I could print on the vinyl as well...but still hard to not leave a line when you clear coat.

I have always been of the opinion, that a good scale boat should be painted, not decaled...the flames on a nice hotrod are painted, not decals.

We all have an opion and all are right.....I prefer to use simple decals and change the design often....makes people think you have more boats then you have...LOL

Well said!

Oh, and Mart, I'm not at all asking you to apologize for what YOU consider money well spent. We each have our own tastes and decide what is worthy of being on our often cherished possessions (our gas boats). My posts were simply to disagree with your implication that there is "minimal" investment in equip. and resources to do decent vinyl work.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: team esp

Well said!

Oh, and Mart, I'm not at all asking you to apologize for what YOU consider money well spent. We each have our own tastes and decide what is worthy of being on our often cherished possessions (our gas boats). My posts were simply to disagree with your implication that there is ''minimal'' investment in equip. and resources to do decent vinyl work.
When did i EVER SAY anything about minimal investment ? nope dont think i did
Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 PM
team esp

no need to pay a fortune either,lets face it theyre easy enough to do if they have a vinyl plotter,cutter and decent software
lol... I was just pointing out that there is a sizable investment.

That's like saying "they're easy enough to do if you have $3-5K (1,927-3,212 GBP) in equip", or me saying "modded cylinders shouldn't cost a fortune, all you need is a $20k CNC machine and $8K in software".

Anyways, I'm done with this and will give you the usual last word
Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 AM
martno1fan

Listen any company doing decals is mostly doing it as a sideline not a main buisness which is probably why most dont charge the earth.You can get one colour decals 3-4 ft long for cars for less than some charge for the small ones for rc boats which i find rediculous.So i stand by what i said first,shop arround and dont over pay for simple decals cheers .
I understand where your coming from you offer wraps and complicated graphics which i agree arent easy to do and id expect to pay a fare price for those but im talking about decals not wraps .
Mart
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
rcguy1411

i was in a shop sign shop the other day they had a cool checkered flag about 12"X12" for about $10.00 i askeked for the same flag only 4"X 4" they still wanted the same price know i know they had it saved on the computer i know it would use less material to produce but still wated to charge the same price went to another shop and they only charged me $4.00 tor the same flag using the same material s and i think that Mart has some idea in the investment that it takes to produce a given product actual costs and cost to produce the product as i would hate to know the hundreds of hours he has into designing his Apache hull if he was to facter that time into the cost of his hull well lets just say big $$$$ due to the fact that he didn tknow if he would sell 10 or 1000 of them i have no problem paying for somthing wether it be a hull or decals just dont take advantage of me
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
dr drip

The vinyl is the cheapest part of any decal. The problem is not the size, usually....it takes as much time to do a 4" decal as a 8" decal, most times the smaller one takes more time to weed it. If I were doing it for a living, I wouldn't turn a machine on for less then 20.00, it would not be worth the time to do anything for less....think about it...cut, weed, and premask. It is more about the time then materials. Any less and it is not worth doing a small decal. I can sell cheaper cause it doesn't have to pay the bills and my wife does not work outside the home and can do the weeding for me. Anybody who cuts and weeds and premasks a graphic of more then 20" and does a copy for the other side and sells less then 20.00 will not support himself.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 PM
rcguy1411

the only reason i put a price was these were for a bulk buy not just one or two i wouldent go out and just make one part eather but if i was making a large batch the cost per item will come down i just made a fiberglass radio box for a friend it wasnt a problem as i was doing some glass wirk any way for myself but if i was to just make him a box ther e is a larger cost of material mixing pot stir stick paint brush gloves these are all things that you must concider when doing busness i get not starting up your cutters for less than $ 20.00 i wont heat my shop for the same reason lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.