Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Please help...newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 AM
unclechris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help...newbie.

Hi,

I'm totally new to R/C so I'm looking for a little help.

I was just given an HPI nitro car and a Bolink electric funny car by a friend who hasn't used them in years. The Bolink has never run properly, and he thought the problem was the rear tires were to big. I replaced them with smaller ones and it's still not working right. I uses an IPC speed control, and 6 cell 7.2v NiMH battery.

I charge the battery, turn it on and it runs for maybe 10 seconds (not very fast) and then dies. I took the wheels off and propped up the back and tried it and it does the same thing. It will run for a few seconds, then slow down to a stop and the motor will just whine.

My first thought was the battery, but when I put it on the charger and discharge it, it takes a bit, soI think there's still some juice in it.

Any ideas on what I should be checking?

I'll post some photos soon,

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: Please help...newbie.

If it is a NiCD or NiMH battery, and it is over 3 years old, then I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an old tired battery. If you have a multimeter you can check its health, but you may as well get a fresh one. Before Lipo batterys came out, I always opted to have at least three, just in case.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the battery is not the issue (i think it is) test your esc and motor. Do they get really hot when you drive it?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
unclechris

Thanks for the replies,

I think you're correct, it looks like the battery is the problem.

I've been trying to "bring it back" by charging it, then running the car, and discharging it the rest of the way with the charger.  It seems to be lasting a bit longer each time and taking longer to reach peak each time I charge it.

This could take a while though, so I'll go pick up a new battery.

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what charger do you have? is it computerized? how many amps/watts does it charge at?

If it can charge nimh batteries i recommend getting a nimh with a capacity of 3000-3600mah because its will have a good runtime but won't way the car down too much like a 4000mah+ battery.</p>