Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Break in

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Norman Oliver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in

Hey every1
I'm an aerobatic pilot, but recently a very good friend of mine got a nitro powered car (.25). I can't remember the name of the car, nor the brand, but it comes ready to run (4wd, 2 speeds, etc) and it comes with a DVD that explains the breking in instructions,care, maintenance, etc. We live over 8000ft above sea level and the needle valve must be closed even more to get a good vertical perormance (That's for panes, of course), but my friend thinks the car's needle valve must be closed even more (due to the altitude) while breaking in to get good power. I see he's overheating the engine. I've heard that car engines can be breaked in putting a prop on them like they were plane engines... is it true...? This is the way I'm used to break in engines and they perform great. If we can do so with car engines, we'll have much less trouble later on.
Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

(Forgive mispellings... this is not my 1st language)
Old 09-19-2003, 01:05 PM
bluefluffybunny1

Default RE: Break in

You can run a car engine in with a prop but with the bigger head you may need to cover it to get the temperatures up to run in properly. See the RB Concepts web site (these are some of the best engines and they use this method).

I wouldn't worry and just run it in the car. Just ensure that the mixture is very rich and then gradually lean out until it runs properly. You can start by idling a coulple of tanks and then run around slowly. Like I said just run it really rich. The method that is in vogue at the moment is running it full throttle with the mixture so rich that the car runs very slowly.

You only want to lean the engine to get the performance when it is run in and until then use a rich mixture.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:55 AM
NitroFreak

Do you mean a 2.5. That sounds like you got a traxxas(4-TEC). They are the only car I know that comes with a DVD to tune the engine. And I have never really seen a .25 engine. That 2.5 is actually a .15 engine that they changed around.

If it is the Traxxas 2.5 you can't break it in using a prop. They are a different kind of engine they need to have air passed over them as they breakin. That it why they want you to run the car at 1/4 throttle durring the first tank.

About the altitude you don't want performance during the break in. Let it run on the rich side until the breakin process is done. You will go through glow plugs like crazy,but it will be worth it in the end. Is you are have problems starting the car then lean it out just a tiny bit at a time. After the breakin you will have to change your needle to run in the thinner are.

Good luck and welcome to nitro cars. I also fly plane,but cars are soo much easier to work on.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:22 PM
MadTripper

If it is the Traxxas 2.5 you can't break it in using a prop. They are a different kind of engine they need to have air passed over them as they breakin.

Hmmm, if you mounted a prop on it, assuming it is mounted the correct way,wouldn't it have a large amount of air passing over it?
While there are hundreds of ways to break an engine in, it seems the best ways are to apply the same amount of resistance to the motor that you plan on having when you do daily runs with it. Thinking along these lines, probably keeping it in your truck and running it as rich as possible would be your best option. You definitely do not want to run it lean for break in. This will move you from a "break in" procedure to just a "breaking" procedure. Good luck!

Tripper