Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K100G first start help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Jetpilot12
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K100G first start help

OK, I have gone through the start setup and everything seems to be in working order.
Batteries have a fresh charge and I have a ready light on the ECU (stick at idle, trim forward) . I advance the throttle and the starter engages. When the throttle is returned to idle the starter
stops for about 5 to 10 seconds before it reengages for the start sequence. The glow plug stays at 25 degrees and the RPM is steady at 5000. The fuel pump
red light is flashing and the pump never stops. I never get fire or an auto abort. After the second attempt I noticed fuel spitting out of the back of the turbine.
I noticed fuel had puddled on the inside of the fuselage. After cleaning up the fuel I picked up the jet and allowed fuel to poor out of the turbine.
Now here I am asking for your help before I burn down my house and make the evening news.

Jon
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon,
are you getting any error messages with the failed start?
take a close look at the two data plugs for the ECU. One is a 6-pin plug which has 5 pins I it, the other is a 4-pin plug with 3 pins in it.
Look at the photos in the manual (there are two pics) and check closely that the white dot is correctly orientated in relation to the pins. Plug into the ECU accordingly.
see if that helps.
btw, don't run this inside your house. Lol.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Jetpilot12

Everything is correct and I did not get any error messages.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running it on kero or diesel?
your settings will change in your ecu depending on what fuel your using. When I first started using my K180G I had kero settings and I was running diesel. Couldnt get it to start. Just kept flooding. I would give you my settings buy I am in Afghanistan until July.
But I am sure someone here knows more about it than I do

Steven
Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Jetpilot12

I'm using Jet-A. That could be my problem. After each start attempt I need to poor the fuel out of the engine.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:07 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any progress? Have you called Barry?
after you initiate the start do you get the burner on message? You should see this for about 5-7 seconds or so until the burner gets up to temp then the starter will start. Fuel should then be slowly fed in and you'll hear the pump pulsing. You should then see an ignition message and once the ECU recognizes a temp increase in the EGT (exhaust gas temp) it will move to preheat.
sounds like you're note getting the burner to temp?
What battery are you using?
I'd pull the turbine out of the airframe and mount it to a fixed surface to do any further testing. If your fuel line and cabling will reach you can keep them in the fuse and just in front of your turbine. I often do this especially with a new install...see attached pic of my k140 going in a new plane this week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1999790  
Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Jetpilot12

Everything is working as you described Sean. I did call Barry and we made a few changes to the settings with no luck. The engine is now on its way to Barry along with my ECU battery.
I will post the results after Barry does his magic
Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Jetpilot12

Turbine on it's way back. Looks like the start solenoid was not working properly. Great service form King Tech!!!