Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

MST drift tire remover kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 05:48 PM
nel33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MST drift tire remover kit

i got some 1:10 scale aluminum rins with brand new drift plastic treads. i want to remove the drift tread and install some soft rubber tires on them. i got the MST kit to remove the darn things but its a bit difficult to du by hand. the first tire was a bit of a headache as it came off easy enough but the aluminum rim got stuck in the tool cover. a 10 second hot water dip on the cap and the rim was free. i tried leaving the aluminum rims and tires in small bowl with boiling water and it seems like that first time was a fluke. it just doesnt want to get off the aluminum rim no matter how hard i push by hand. is it needed to heat up the tire before trying to press it in? how do you differentiate the proper way to place the yellow tool insert?

does anyone here have some advice to make it easier? im planning to get 2 steel plates and a good large C clamp to place the tire and MST tool in between and slowly crank it down. i just want to avoid breaking the tool by this method. i dont think a cheaper tool like this on amazon with a screw mechanism will survive.

edit: i just ended up using two 1/4 thick aluminum plates for the top and bottom of the tool to safely use a automotive C clamp. it worked very well, easy, slow and safely.

Last edited by nel33; 01-24-2021 at 04:01 PM.