Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Engine to use in CAP 10B

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:26 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine to use in CAP 10B

A few years ago I purchased and built a Yellow Aircraft CAP 10B model. It has a 75 in wingspan and weighs ready to fly 17 pounds. I feel the best thing to do with the model is trash it however I have considerble time and money in the model to do that. Yellow Aircrfat did a poor job keeping the model light with the high density foam cores and of all things a fiberglass rudder with such a long tail moment. Anyway the question at hand is what is a good modern type engine that would have adquate power to safely fly the model. The recommended engine sizes are 1.20 4 stroke to a Quadra 35. I am looking for suggestions and hopefully someone else that has experienced this problem with their model and found a good engine to use.

Mike

PA28R201
Old 08-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

If you are at 17 lbs you need a lite 40cc or even a 50cc. The 35cc Quadra is to heavy and down on power for good flying.

Kent
Old 08-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

If you want to go glow; a Moki 2.10 with an APC 20x10 puts out 25 pounds of thrust.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
cap10b

Default RE: Engine to use in CAP 10B

Mike,
Don't give up on the 10B its a good plane, however at 17lbs its needs to be on a diet. Mine weighed 19lbs with smoke. Absolutely the best show plane I ever had. Scared the living daylights out of the best Aerobatic pilots that saw it fly. But there is a trick ......you gotta learn to love and use flap to stay alive. An overweight Cap is asking for trouble no way to soft coat it. Weight is the kiss of death. But you can off set that with a powerful engine and some No's No's tattoo'd on your fore head.

1. Take off with 10 degrees flap whether you want to or not
2. Land with 40 degrees of flap whether you want to or not.
3. This airplane will do anything you want to do as long as the prop is turning and the airspeed is
such that the wing is still flying if not see no# 2
4. High speed snaps are this planes specialty they can be done in one of two ways.
A. You really did mean to do it.
B. You really didn't mean to do it and you cannot make it stop.

5. If you find your self on the down side of any maneuver and your at 1/2 to full throttle there is a good
chance you will figure 9 into the ground, pulling ever so slightly on the elevators in this attitude with
produce any number of items listed in # 4 and not necessarily in any order that I know of. The main
thing to do is remain calm, realize that what ever motor you have is about to be smashed to smithereens,
now is a good time to go over your home owners insurance in the split second you have left before you
smash nose first at over 80 mph into a crowd of people who have gathered to watch this brave Cap
driver.

6. By now you may have realized that your choice of overweight airplanes could have been made with a little more fore sightedness and a little more consideration to spectators and general good sportsman ship to mankind. But all is not lost. If you have survived this far their is hope.

7. Always always slow the plane down on the back side of any maneuver you make. Always keep in your mind a never to exceed speed that the plane likes to fly at. A good indicator that you have found it can be noticed with the whiteness of the knuckles on your hands and that nauseated feeling in your stomach. IF when you land you have to rush to the porta pottie after the flight you have attained that blissful status of man and machine becoming one. Now you can safely say :

I SURVIVED ANOTHER FLIGHT!! and LETS DO THIS AGAIN...

Do this for two seasons at most big birds and rallies in your area and bring her home in one piece. Buy a set of 40% plans for a bigger Cap10b and show your friends, watch as they run screaming in horror of the thought of a 40% Cap in the club. Now really show your pathology and get rid of every plane in your stable and buy nothing but Cap's - 21's, 232's, 10b's and the new 222 or (giles 202) you will solidify your status and the club luney and be know world wide as a crazy Cap driver.

Hey fellahs your the guys in the white coats comming to take me away......
do you guys fly Caps at the sanitorium........

jds
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17332.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	72359  
Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Closterman

I really like the "Cap10b" reports of it's Cap 10 flight and I'm pretty agree!! My Cap 10b have 80" of WS, Zenoah G-45, with a weight of 16 lb (full of gaz and smoke oil). It's the www.mraerodesign.com plan. I have flow a Cap 21, 232, Extra 300 and I REALLY love the Cap10b. Snap like hells and rought on the stomac muscle....
But, it's very fun to fly a Cap 10. Wtih the flaps full down, she land like a flower and takeoff are very easy (with flap or not). Only thing you have to ALWAYS think when you fly a Cap 10b: easy on the elevator and RESPECT this aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13771.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	72414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47862.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	72415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62846.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	72416  
Old 11-04-2003, 08:57 PM
cap10b

All,
The only other consideration you must have is a reliable engine. Closterman's choice of the G-45 is really a very good choice. The Yellow Cap10b is really to small for a G-38 it makes the plane already to heavy. As stated before the weight can be handled no problem but you must respect the plane at all times. And

Closterman this is for you......
I personally sat with my friends at the 92 or 93 Scale Masters we had in Irving Texas and watch Cap10b after Cap10b crash on take off, landing, taxing till everyone that was entered failed to make the number of flights needed. Everyone sat in horror and gasp every time one took off. That memory was burned in my brain and couple years later I did the maiden flight on that very same runway the scale masters guys used. The plane is a ***** cat to fly. After three flights that day (and this was with a Webra bully a totally useless engine for the Cap10b - no reliable idle) I thought back to that day and wondered !QUOT!Why did those guys crash?!QUOT! surely they were more expert pilots than I was. Why did they have such a hard time flying. To this day I do not know of any reason other than fear. Those guys were afraid of the airplane.

After that Scale Master we have several Yellow Cap10b's show up in the club and the expert boys that had theirs flying before me either crashed them or sold them after only a few flights, no one kept theirs intact as long as I did (still have it) and no one did as much and flew as much as I did. Not bragging but Gezzus the plane is easy to fly. My plane had a wing loading of like 38 in/oz per square foot. That equivalent to a fully loaded F-4 Phantom jet. Like you said even at 19lbs with 40 degrees of flap the plane will come to a full stop in less than 15ft.

Never never take your eye off the plane............

jds
Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

HI PA28R201! Piper Arrow IV?

I have the Yellow Aircraft Cap 10B and having a grand time with it. I've been flying it since Sept. To answer your question, I am using a ZDZ40RV, Menz 19/10 prop, and a Slimline Showtime smoke system. Total flying weight is just under 20lbs. I do have flaps and recomend them highly. I originally flew this plane on January 1st of this year with a YS120 for power. It flew OK but nothing spectacular. I bought it used which had the 'classic' French Connection paint scheme. After that initial outting, I decided to repaint it and repower it. I personally think this engine is a good combo for the plane. It doesn't seem to have any bad habits, although according to this thread there are some that will disagree. I balanced mine strictly according to the book, inverted. My control throws are according to mfg. specs too. I find most problems with the 'Cap' family of planes is that guys usually set the elevator throw too radical producing the characteristic 'snap' problem. I was warned years ago about this when I purchased a used Cap21 from an old timer. He flew the planes for ? years as did I. We both sold it to move into something different and I watched the new owner after me snap it on takeoff. I wouldn't classify the Cap10 as a 3D performer. You should have no problem performing the same routine the French Connection did. As for the engine itself, this is my second gasser. The folks at RCShowcase are very helpful. The engine has just about 2 .5 gals. through it thus far. I'm told it is far from broken in but runs very reliably. Engine baffling is a must. RCShowcase also recommends a spoiler at the leading edge of the cowling air outlet. That installation reduced my engine temp 30 degrees! I can pull decent vertical climbs to full stall at the top. It will just flip over at the top without going into any spin of any kind. The only thing I had to grow accustomed to was the disappearance of the tail area when I turn on the smoke. <:-) Have fun!!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:10 PM
cappy1

huhmmmm, I used to fly mine with a ST3000, 16 oz tank, ultra lite wheels. built it very lite with minimal epoxy and lite cloth. lost mine due to bad battery.