Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Ducted tail system on Piccolo

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Ducted tail system on Piccolo

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Flying Weasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducted tail system on Piccolo

I just put the ducted direct tail system on my Piccolo FP i have a Hacko Brushless motor and i can't get enough out of the tail to counteract the spin. I have the high voltage tail motor. I have shortened the tail boom to get correct balance but the tail is counter clockwise spinning.
Any tricks?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:23 PM
darkside212
My Feedback: (73)

Default RE: Ducted tail system on Piccolo

Hi,
You need to order a new tail boom. Shortening it makes the tail rotor have less force.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Tell us more about your setup. What EDF are you using and what batteries.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Flying Weasle

longer boom? it will be really unbalanced. I had to shorten it because it was flying backwards trimmed all the way out.
I'm running li-polys. 2 and 3 cell.
EDF?
I have hacker b20-31S with Phoenix 25 ESC and Carbon fiber blades, I have the tail trimmed all the way up and the picco board all the way to max with the gain and the gyro sensivity. I have all the mods you can on it. The tail just isn't powerful enough. I have the high authority tail motor with regular tail blade and it works fine.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:02 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the tail spinning at maximum RPM? If you give it right stick to try to stop the spinning, does the tail spin any faster? I suspect not. I think you have maxed out the tail motor.
Shortening the tail boom reduced the mechanical advantage of the tail. The tail motor has to work harder with a shorter tail boom. Try using a stock length boom to see if the EDF you are using has the physical strength. If it does not with a stock length boom, give up. That EDF will not work under any circumstance for you.
And for ballancing, do not try to change the mechanical setup. Instead, try moving other componnents. Push the batteries further forward. Push the receiver forward. Use your 3 cell LiPo instead of the 2 cell. 3 cell LiPo will help with balancing, and give the tail motor more RPM.
EDF is Electric Ducted Fan. What EDF unit are you using?
Old 12-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Flying Weasle

Yup, max RPMs. Nope, right stops it. I'm using the 3 cell lipo on it. Everything is forward all electronics and battery. It's just a bad setup i think. Not much i can do about it.
I have the HH1566 High Voltage direct drive system from HHobby. I think i'll try to take the motor out and put in the High authority motor i have in it's place. It looks like the same motor. I have the EDF-40
Old 12-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Keith Buckner

Hey.. what voltage is your Li-poly pack?
If you have the "high voltage" EDF and it's a 2-cell pack, I bet THAT is the problem.
The 2-cells only output 7.4v. MOST guys are running the 3 cells, pushing 11.1v.