Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Cowl baffles for Zenoah GT-80

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Bluesky-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl baffles for Zenoah GT-80

I am putting together a 1/3-scale H9 Cap 232 with a Zenoah GT-80. The model setup section in the back of the H9 instruction manual by Mike McConville strongly recommends adding baffles to the cowl to aid engine cooling. The instruction manual does not contain any information about how to construct these baffles and an e-mail to H9 brought the response that they didn't have any information on how to do it either.

My question to anyone with this particular plane and engine is how important are these baffles? The cowl is hard to install as it is and the presense of baffles would seem to me to make it harder. If they are needed I would appreciate any information on how to make them. I'm in Texas and it does get hot here.

I plan to cut out the bottom outlet as specified in the instruction manual and am wondering if the two inlets need to be enlarged also.

Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Bluesky
Old 05-22-2002, 04:49 AM
Whymee
My Feedback: (13)

Bluesky,
I have a 33% Cap & a Z-445 (GT-74). These motors are almost identical (GT-74 & a GT80)

I think your on the right track for wanting to baffle your cowl.
Mine seems to lean out (overheat) slightly when I am in the air. Also after a flight she will not restart due to the vaporizing of fuel from the hot surrounding air. (carb is at the very top of the cowl, which is at the top of the motor) no amount of shielding or baffling will prevent this fuel from vaporizing.
The cure? I dono. I havent done anything as of yet. 'cept to order a ZDZ 80. Its suppose to go into the new H9 Sukhoi! (not released yet)
I do wish Hanger 9 would get its head outta the sand & give us split cowls (horiz.) for the 33% models. Sure would make baffling SO much easier. Not to mention carb adjustments. ( I ain't cuttun that purty cowl!)
Oh, If your running the stock exhausts, make the modification as stated in the manual. Makes a world of difference.

Blue Skies

Stan
Old 05-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Bluesky-RCU

Thanks for the reply about the cowl baffles Stan,

Based on your experience I guess I better figure out a way to install baffles. I'm like you in that I don't want to split that nice cowl either. If I figure out a slick way to do it, I'll put a picture on RCU. BTW I'm using J & A mufflers so I won't have to drill hole in the stock mufflers.

Thanks for your time.
Bluesky