Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Smoke Systems

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Smoke Systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
ksechler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke Systems

I am thinking of adding a smoke system to my Ultimate. If anyone has step-by-step instructions it would be useful. In particular I'm interested in advice on plumbing, injection of the smoke oil (whether or not I need a coil in the muffler to pre-heat it), and pressurizing the smoke tank. I'd really rather not tap the backplate of my engine. Are there any small electric pumps that might be suitable? Or maybe pressurizing the tank pneumatically? Give me you opinions, please. The plane is a GP .40 Ultimate with an OS. 61FX. It's still on the building board (fuse isn't even framed). So I have a lot of flexibility in planning the installation, but probably won't have unlimited space.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:04 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Smoke Systems

First, 2 stroke glow engines are not the best for using smoke with. However, In the next month I'm hoping to do some experimenting with 2-strokes. But for now, to answer your Q's:

You SHOULD use an electric pump. They are the most reliable sorce of pressure.

You Should NOT preheat the oil with muffler heat. While this may warm the oil, it also cools the muffler, and you NEED that heat (I often wrap my mufflers with fibergalss insulation to keep them hot)

You need to add a pressure fitting to the muffler for a place to inject the oil. It needs to be installed in a narrow area, very neer the engine's exhaust port.

Here's a pic of the plumbing:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99469.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	106656  
Old 03-01-2004, 02:12 PM
smokingcrater

how well do oscilation pumps work for smoke? cheaper then an electric and no engine mod required...
Old 03-01-2004, 02:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never tried one, but I imagine that they could work quite well. However, you can get an electric Windshield washer pump for about $12. That's what I use, and it works great.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Big_Daddy
My Feedback: (1)

TME Deluxe smoke pump all the way. Simple. Compact. Plugs directly into an open receiver port so it requires no extra servo or linkage.

See thread:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1566096/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1569202[/link]

Good luck.

Shane