Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Trailers - on the cheap

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Trailers - on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailers - on the cheap

I was reading a thread on 12x6x6 enclosed trailers and was impressed by the expense some go to have a way to get their planes around. My oldest (rightly) accuses me of being a cheapskate and this issue is just another example of that approach.

I got a 5X10 utility trailer. I bought some 1 inch angle iron and my buddy and I welded up 2 foot high frames that bolt to the trailer. We got some 1/2 square tubing bent in a circle so the middle was 12 inches high in the middle of the 60 inch span. This was welded on a square frame with removable square tube cross supports. We got some hinges and welded them to the square frame and the top of the frame sides. Cut the pins and now the trailer opens on either side. The rear 'door' is just a rectangular frame of square tubing with similar hinging on both sides so it will open either way also. This whole structure was skinned with galvanized V crimp roofing steel using pop rivets. I used canned roofing asphalt to seal some 1/4 inch ply to the floor and painted it with a water proofer. I got some self taping eye screws and cut 1/4 our of them so they are hooks. They are installed at every 1 foot point of the floor. 5/32 piano wire was bent into V's and welded to the frame to provide other attachment points for bungee cords.

This trailer has carried 5 giant scale planes, so I know the basic design has been effective.

The time has come to begin upgrading it. I added a spare tire mount last summer and mounted a pair of fire extinguishers in the fall.

I think I will get some solar panels to charge a 12 volt battery and install an inverter. This way I can leave some large birds in the trailer on trickle charger. Also I will probably put a couple of 'muffin' fans exhausting hot air somewhere to keep the interior cooler.

Any suggestions will be looked at as this is a long term project. Please remember, the basic purpose of this trailer is a utility trailer.

Pictures to follow when I find a capable digital camera.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:21 AM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailers - on the cheap

Pictures?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:32 AM
ShaneUSMC
My Feedback: (1)

Got a question. My father has what is left of an old Coleman Pop-up trailer (he took everything off of the chassis). I don't have the dimensions of the trailer on hand but was wondering if this would be a good base for a hobby/motorcycle trailer (it would have to pull double duty as I am not rich enough to buy 2 trailers [:@]). He said I could have it if I would just take the thing away from his house. Any inputs???
Old 03-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop ups are very common at giant scale events. Most of them carry airplanes. Take it and enjoy the good deal.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:16 AM
ShaneUSMC
My Feedback: (1)

Jim,
It isn't a pop-up any more. It's just a rolling chassis. I would have to build it up from the chassis and rewire it as well as replace the bearings wheels/tires. I guess that would probably still be cheaper than a new one. Thanks for the input.