Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

extremely slow and loud

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:54 PM
DigiT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extremely slow and loud

Well I got the truck to start, but it runs stupidly slow... it seems like it struggles with everything it has to stay alive and move what little bit it can.. sometimes when I hold the breaks in the motor will die. The car is alot louder and low pitched, compared to others that I have heard. Could I be doing something wrong? How can I make it move correctly?

thanks
Old 04-09-2004, 06:57 PM
doctorgoodwrench
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: extremely slow and loud

sounds like your truck is running pretty rich and you may not be finished the break in procedure yet. what have you done so far?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:56 PM
DigiT

I have followed the instructions to a t.. Im at the part of tuneing the engine.. but it doesnt seem to want to work after that. I turned the high end knob but forgot where I set it.. so I turned it all the way closed then out 3 1/2 turns like some suggested I do. Now I have this problem.. :^/
Old 04-09-2004, 10:13 PM
doctorgoodwrench

im not sure what to say here without seeing and hearing your truck run, but make some leaning adjustments 1/8 turn at a time from 3 1/2 turns out from lighlty seated on the main jet (hsn). set your idle high enough to keep the truck running until you are satisfied with the top end performance. remember never tune a cold engine!! i usually run for 5 to 8 minutes or 5/8 of a tank or so before making any adjustments. at first pay no attention to the throttle response or acceleration until you are happy with the top end performance. once you are satisfied with that, move on to the low speed needle to tune in the throttle response and accelaration. then finally set your idle. make sure your throttle linkage is adjusted so that your carb is fully closed at neutral and you acheive full throttle at full pull on the transmitter. good luck, let us know how you do.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:14 PM
doctorgoodwrench

oh, lose that restrictive stock air filter. its bad news.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Twobeers

I found during break in that 3 1/2 turns on the high was really to lean. I had to open it to about 4 1/4 turns. When accelerating if it dies when you open the throttle rapidly, its usually to lean. If it seems to bog momentarily before picking up, to rich. The low screw on mine is a *****, its a ***** I tell you. it is really hard to turn. The engine is a real sucker to keep running during the first few tanks, so don't wear the carb screws out by playing with them to much till you get at least 5 tanks of fuel run thru the little sucker.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:31 PM
doctorgoodwrench

ORIGINAL: Twobeers

I found during break in that 3 1/2 turns on the high was really to lean. I had to open it to about 4 1/4 turns. When accelerating if it dies when you open the throttle rapidly, its usually to lean. If it seems to bog momentarily before picking up, to rich. The low screw on mine is a *****, its a ***** I tell you. it is really hard to turn. The engine is a real sucker to keep running during the first few tanks, so don't wear the carb screws out by playing with them to much till you get at least 5 tanks of fuel run thru the little sucker.
ive heard other people saying that about the factory settings also, but ive broken in two of my own s25's and a 21bb and found them right on with adjustments for break in, no stalling and plenty fat. just my experience.