Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need HELP on Lanier 30% Edge ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need HELP on Lanier 30% Edge ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:16 AM
dansuf
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP on Lanier 30% Edge ARF

Guys,
Finished working on Lanier 30% Edge ARF and when the time came to set the throws got puzzled to notice that both halves of elevator have different incidence. Setting right half elevator leveled the incidence is 0 deg. however, left half elevator is showing -1 deg. Did the measurements as well, and left half is 1/8" higher than right half.
I have used sub trim to level both elevator halves and looks ok to me but I have not flown the plane yet and wondering what effect this difference will cause in flying??
Unfortunately I have epoxyed these halves to the fuse and I don't think that I could separate them to correct the incidence. My mistake that I should have checked the incidence before mounting the elevator permanently, but I thought these big ARFs should be done/assembled without any flaws.
Anyway, I will appreciate your help, suggestions and thoughts, thanks.
Jamal[&o]
Old 04-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Lew

Default RE: Need HELP on Lanier 30% Edge ARF

Most likely the plane will have a tendency to roll out on up elevator. At that small amount, however, you will probably be able to trim and remove that tendency. I owned this very plane and I liked it very much. It flies much larger than it is. The plane is a lot of fun and I think you'll be just fine trimming it out. Watch your throws on the maiden flight and then " HAVE FUN". What engine are you using?

Lew
Old 04-30-2004, 07:18 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

You stated you just finished it. How long have you had it? Where did you get one? I've been looking for one for almost a year.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:24 AM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

If you really want to re-mount one of the stabs, you can use heat on the epoxy to make it release. Make the heat as local to the epoxy joint as possible. Then you'll need to strip all of the ruined epoxy off of both/all surfaces to prep for re-assembly.

Maybe a heat gun on low with a concentrator nozzle pointed at the joint and heat up something flat and sharp and work it into the seam you're trying to separate. Go slowly, and let the heat do the work over a minute or two for each couple of inches.

Do some research and be careful: I don't know how they build their stabs; if it's a foam core you might ruin it. If it's built-up, you could strip enough covering and sheeting to get heat on the back of the root rib.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:07 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Jamal,
That small difference will not be a problem. The plane will fly fine. It is nice to have a perfectly straight plane, and for contests I suppose it is necessary. But I've seen lots of crooked planes that fly just fine.

Tom
Old 04-30-2004, 02:31 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don;t worry about the small difference...not enough to matter. MAy affect precision aerobatice, but that's about it.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:43 PM
p38nut
My Feedback: (6)

Just fly the darn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:56 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I accidentally built a CAP this way.. never flew straight. I was constantly screwing with the sub trims and compensating during patterns.

I got frustrated and I ended up tearing the stab off and re-doing it. Flew perfect after that.

If you are flying for fun / sport don't worry about it. If you are flying precision - you will pull your hair out .

Its a mistake you'll only make once. I always check incidence on all surfaces before I glue now... burned once - enough for me..

DP
Old 05-01-2004, 12:07 AM
dansuf
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions and ideas. I will fly it first and see after trimming it flies straight or not. If it didn't work then probably I will tear it off and do it again. Thanks again.
Jamal
Old 05-02-2004, 10:26 AM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

I have one that the horz. stab is 1/2 inch higher on one side 1/2 lower on the other side. It flies perfect. Stalls are just a mush forward. I have a ZDZ 80 on mine. Only one flight so far with the new engine. You will love this plane.