Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

MP saver mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Tweedybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP saver mod

alright... the mp saver that is suppose to screw into the drag link along with the stock bell crank using the stock screws, the bell crank goes in fine, and goes under the drag link, where as the new MP saver is suppose to be screwed in above the drag link. Problem is the stock screw does not do the job on the bottom or the top of the drag link. the thicker part of the screw for 1) is to large to fit threw the single hole on the MP saver, and the smaller thread is too small to anchor into the drag link unless the outter hole is used. But even doing it that way the thick part of the screw still doesn't fit into the MP saver.

Anyone that has installed this mod have any ideas?
Thanks

Tweedy
Old 05-31-2004, 02:53 PM
slago

Default RE: MP saver mod

ORIGINAL: Tweedybird

alright... the mp saver that is suppose to screw into the drag link along with the stock bell crank using the stock screws, the bell crank goes in fine, and goes under the drag link, where as the new MP saver is suppose to be screwed in above the drag link. Problem is the stock screw does not do the job on the bottom or the top of the drag link. the thicker part of the screw for 1) is to large to fit threw the single hole on the MP saver, and the smaller thread is too small to anchor into the drag link unless the outter hole is used. But even doing it that way the thick part of the screw still doesn't fit into the MP saver.

Anyone that has installed this mod have any ideas?
Thanks

Tweedy
That is exactly why I did not care for that mod. I did it. I ran into the same problems. I did not like having to cinch up plastic against plastic parts. I drilled out the holes on both the MP arm and the steering center link and used 10mm allen head bolt. That still did not seem very smooth to me. I am now experimenting with a variety of different servo savers and linkage combinations. I have some radical ideas that I think will work. After I test them I will report. In the mean time, I am using the GPM Racing steering and a beefed-up Kimbrough 124 that seems just as good and WAY Smoother than my old MP setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93176.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	138137  
Old 05-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Tweedybird

The mod from what I hear is the best so far, its making sure it is set right from the get go.
That was the reason for the post.

I know I'm not the only one with this mod, so if anyone "Has" this mod, not the kimbrough..
Please contact me asap.
I would like to get it installed this evening.

Thanks again

Tweedy Bird
Old 05-31-2004, 03:45 PM
slago

Here are the two most popular links to instructions on this mod:

[link=http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2361.html]http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2361.html[/link]

[link=http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic9877.html]http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic9877.html[/link]
Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Vortec_Rat

I used the inserts from a disc brake kit as a sleeve for the drag link and used some stainless nuts and bolts to attach it all together. The disc brake kits usually come with sleeves for the caliper plates to slide on instead of the stock screws which have the sleeves built in. I just drilled the drag link and pressed the sleeves in and used some stainless nuts and bolts to tie it all together. Give me a few hours, I'll post some pics.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Tweedybird

Thanks for everyones help, I looked at the orginal "How to" thread more closely and figured it out.
Out side of switching the plastic swivil balls in the linkage with metal, its just about done.

Tweedy Bird

Name:	He97272.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	138460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23482.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	138461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76721.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	138462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94362.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	138463  
Old 06-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Vortec_Rat

That's interesting. My left side bellcrank has the arm at the same position as the spring loaded right side. Here's my pics anyway. Glad to see you worked it out.

Name:	Wu59833.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	138475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88925.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	138476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59090.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	138477  
Old 06-01-2004, 01:06 PM
slago

That's because you used both steering posts in the MP Servo Saver kit instead of the stock one for the other side.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Vortec_Rat

What's the purpose of using the stock arm for the other side?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:01 PM
slago

IMO. It's just one less "jerry-rigged" screw/bolt set-up to make work.