Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Flaps added to trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flaps added to trainer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 09:52 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps added to trainer

Just some picks of flaps I added to my megatech trainer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84701.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	194846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99066.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	194847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14235.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	194848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33016.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	194849  
Old 11-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Flaps added to trainer

very cool. tell us how it works out.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:50 PM
RC-Captain

I really didnt want to get into detail of this project because I havent flown the plane yet with the flaps .

The flaps uses seperate servos on channels 6 and 7 which are mixed using channel six as the master and 7 as the slave. On my radio I have a dial for channel 6 . So hopefully when Im comming in hot do to limited flying space or over shooting landing target I now can slow the plane down dramatically by turning the dial lowering the flaps which will cause drag and soften up my landing. Im going to fly tomorrow and give a better report , this project came to me while I was sulking about not flying today because of rain . it took three hours total to complete.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Well i hope it flys well. the only think thats getting me is that trainers are made to go really slow with out falling out the ski so why flaps? its cool though. Do you just come in to fast for your liking. i hope i'm not trying to sound like i'm better than you or anything because really i don't think that all.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I think the best reason is ...."cuz he could"

Nope trainers do not need flaps......

but we don't need to stand in a field looking up in the sky on early mornings either!

Its for the fun.... I'm of course assuming here!

Love to hear more details and how they are attached...looks like they are just attached to the underside of the wind in front of the ailerons?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
RC-Captain

Fletch I'm going to say this as nicely as possible.

Although stated above,

So hopefully when I'm coming in hot do to limited flying space or over shooting landing target I now can slow the plane down dramatically by turning the dial lowering the flaps which will cause drag and soften up my landing
I will go into more detail. I fly in areas where there a allot of trees and obstacles. Large enough to take off and land but not long enough to glide in. I don't like gliding in anyway because of the wind conditions I fly in will not permit me to do so. Secondly why not be innovated with a measly old beat up trainer before buying an expensive plane with flaps and not having an idea on how they actually effect the plane when landing ?

No ..I don't need flaps to land but I think even the most experienced flier has over shot the runway at least once. All it takes for this to happen is a good tail wind pushing the plane. Besides, exeter_acres ,all RC planes can be landed with out flaps given a long enough runway I believe , a moderator can probably explain this better.

If you are landing on grass, well there you have it, the most drag you will ever need, but I feel I'm not always going to be landing on grass so I really need to put this 8 channel receiver to work.

I didn't get to fly it yet do to leak in gas tank , right now as I type I'm preparing to change the tank so I can get a flight in before thanksgiving dinner.

P.S. If the jewelry rigged flaps shock you wait until I put breaks on the rear two wheels . this will be especially difficult to do but I'm sure I can pull it of with out a doubt.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:33 PM
RC-Captain

Just an update to my original post .

Today I was able to get the trainer to fly after fixing the cork on my fuel tank. I took off and notice how easily the plane lifted into the sky , almost on a 45 degree angle which may have been from the flaps not being engaged but not perfectly flat. I flew around for a while and decided to land into head wind. So when I was on my last turn I lowered the flaps and immediately noticed how smooth the plane was handling under such low speed . Then I noticed it did'nt want to come down any more so I had to cut the power completely do to running out of run way and then the plane nosed into the ground from 5 feet and broke the prop ,bent the nose gear, and then came to a stop.
So .....I learned , the flaps engaged in the position they are in causes a great deal of drag and lift . This may be a good thing but only when dead sticking the plane for landings.
Please if you are experienced wit flaps add some input for me to understand them better . Thanks