Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

kangke monocoupe

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

kangke monocoupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:00 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: kangke monocoupe

I've got a G-38 in mine with smoke. Fly's nice. Plenty retoric in this post.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...tm.htm#1533861
Old 11-03-2004, 05:47 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Well if it's OK with a G38 than my Saito 270 should be fine.

1) - how does the landing gear hold up with the extra weight ?

2) - Is there enough clearance for a 20" prop ?

3) - can you stuff a 24 - 32 oz. tank in it ?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:43 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

to answer your questions:

1) landing gear holds up fine. I have had no problems when mine is loaded up with the G26, 20 ounce fuel tank, smoke system, three 6 cell battery packs, and 19 ounce smoke tank. I don't know total weight of mine, but I have not had any problems with gear
2)Should be plenty of clearance with a 20 inch prop. I use a 18-6 prop and there is lots of additional clearance yet. I haven't even come close to a prop strike.
3)you could definately fit a 32 ounce or higher tank inside. The interior is cavernous to say the least.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks, sounds like I found a home for my 270.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 AM
hgiles
My Feedback: (4)

Sent an engine (25.4cc) off for conversion that I think will be an excellent candidate for monocoupe. It seems the 23-30cc engines work best for this plane. If I get a favorable outcome I will probably get one and add the smoke system. Otherwise I may go for the smaller Monocoupe and put in a TT91FS I have still NIB.

I did have a question about the flaps though. Do they work well to slow down the aircraft? Does it cause major attitude changes when deployed? In short, is it adviseable to build and use them or not? I haven't found anything definitive where the flaps are concerned.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:55 AM
sbaugz

I have never really used the flaps at all. They really aren't needed to takeoff or landing as the plane slows down nicely without them. I have experiments with flap deployed at altitude and the plane does tend to go upward a little. Some down elevator mixing is probably needed.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:55 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Tower/Kangke appear not to be able to get it together. Last I looked, they had changed the Status to Due Mid-Nov., but now it once again reads ORDER PENDING. Very strange. Now I'm not sure when the Monocoupe will be available. Tower has the best price I've seen for the Monocoupe but if they can't deliver product what good is it. Wonder if they actually will be able to deliver by Christmas.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
sbaugz

Stock tends to be the only problem I have run into with Kangke. They are often difficult to obtain (as are many high quality planes). Check out Chief Aircraft- I would be willing to bet the price isn't much different and they almost always have the kangke's in stock. That's where I got my monocoupe from.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:52 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Could anyone please tell me what the diameter of the cowl is? I have a 3W24/pefa canister I want to use on either the monocoupe of the rearwin speedster. Has anyone flown the MC inverted? I just wonderd how aerobatic it might be with its flat bottom wing.

Joe
Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 AM
sbaugz

It is pretty aerobatic. I have flown inverted many times and it only requires a touch of elevator to maintain. It does most mild manuevers with ease and grace.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 AM
sbaugz

Cowl measures approximately 9 inches. I couldn't get an exact measurement with the cowl mounted but its close. Maybe someone else can chime in with a more precise measurement.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
GBR2

Got my Monocoupe a couple of weeks back. Pretty good quality but it arrived with some minor damage. No dings on the shipping boxs. In the fuselage 2 of the longeron braces were broken off about 1/2 way down the left fuselage side. No damage to the longerons that I can see, so it is sort of a mystery why all these glue joints let go. Also found that the part of the wood of the hatch which wraps around the wing tube was split on 2 of the 3 pieces. Looks to me like the balsa is to light. Should be denser or the sides of these pieces stiffened with some thin ply or else they are just going to continue breaking along the grain of the wood. Thought the cowl material was a bit thin but better than what I've seen from others, like Great Planes.

Also looks like I'll be adding some epoxy at the bottom of the firewall as the joint there is not as tight as it should be and has a gap (I know it isn't load bearing). Thought the windshield is kind of funky. None of the pictures I have of the 90A look anything like it. While not a scale plane, it would have been nicer if the windshield matched the flowing lines of the 90A in this area better. I'll probably figure some way to change that. The belly pan fits nice but the balsa that makes it up is also very light density. It works but just feels flimsy.

All in all though it is one of the better ARF's that I've seen. Kangke might consider also supplying it in an different color such as Dark Blue and White. The hardware supplied with the kit seems pretty complete and the struts are nicely made. Haven't really seen struts mounted with clevises before so that should be interesting. Have an MVVS 1.6 gas engine to put in it, so should fly nice.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
sbaugz

I guess I disagree with you on a few points. I thought the cowling was plenty thick for the job. I'm not sure you would want it any thicker (and heavier). There really would be no reason. The cowling is very durable and strong with no signs of cracking after numerous flights --like some cowlings I have dealt with. I thought the fiberglass finish, fit, and quality was some of the best I have seen.

The clevices work fine with the struts. I invested in some dubro heavy duty locking clevice though. As for the rest of the hardware, I think its some of the best out there, especially those nice anodized aluminum pieces. I've heard other complaints regarding the windshield too but if you trim the edge in black pinstriping, it looks pretty good. There are pictures of planes posted on RCU with this done.

Sure its not 100% scale, but I guess all that concern goes out the window when this beauty takes to the air. I can't tell you how awesome it looks on a low pass.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 PM
GBR2

Yes, the cowl is fine, just some of the replacements I have had to buy from 3rd parties to replace the originals have been a touch more substantial but the Kangke cowl is far better than most that I have seen.

Just talked with James about my damaged fuselage and got direction on getting the kit replaced (it was purchased from Tower). He actually called me before I had a chance to contact them. He thought the damage was unusual also (I had sent him a picture). By the way, poor choice of words, the glue joints didn't break, the wood actually broke at the surface where the glue was. Glue intact - so stronger than the wood and a far, far better glue material than I've seen elsewhere.

I'll also be using heavy duty components on the struts. I agree that it will look awesome in the air. Saw a video of it flying and it looks, really, really great. Plus it isn't a Cub!! I do like Cub's though.

Now I'll have to wait for kit replacement but I do have other things to finish. Still a really fine ARF, complete and nice hardware.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

sbaugz, Thank you for answering my question. Yes, if you cold give me an exact measurement of the cowl I would be most aprecietive. I would like to not cut that nice cowl up too much.

Joe
Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 AM
sbaugz

Goeleki,
you might want to have GBR2 measure it since it sounds like maybe he hasn't gotten around to mounting the cowl yet. Otherwise you could call Kangke and I am sure they would happy to do it for you. I just can't get an exact measurement on mine because of the fact that the engine and prop are all mounted and I don't want to remove them.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:26 AM
grahamd1

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

sbaugz, Thank you for answering my question. Yes, if you cold give me an exact measurement of the cowl I would be most aprecietive. I would like to not cut that nice cowl up too much.

Joe
I'm just starting mine, and its exactly 9" across
Old 12-10-2004, 10:03 AM
crownvic

Hgiles Ive got both the monocoupe and the giant scale WM zero throw in my GP pitts and they are the best planes I have every had

MERRY CHRISTMAS Lonnie
Old 12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Clipwing
My Feedback: (7)

GBR2
I have a template for the "windsheild" of the 90A Monocoupe (1/4 scale[RED] and 1/5 {yellow) that I would be happy to share with you if you are interested. Since I deal mostly in Monocoupes (various models) its likely accurate to pix you may have seen.-BUT-It mounts very different than the Kangke windsheild--follows the true Mono style of a flat wrap around piece of "plexi"--in our case acetate.---I can scan this and mail it to you .......if you want.
Cheers

a pix of my Kangke 90A below:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69113.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	201494