Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Which engines for a TwinAir 45?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Which engines for a TwinAir 45?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:00 AM
RCfun-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engines for a TwinAir 45?

Hi all,

Which of the following engines would you recommend for a TwinAir 45. I know there have been tons of posts about various engines
but not much directly regarding twins.

Magnum xl46 - price $138
SuperTigre GS45 - price $120
SC 46A - price $120
Webra 40F GT - price $167
OS 46AX - price $196

Im leaning toward the Magnum, SuperTigre or the SC. Im mainly interested in reliability and ease of tuning the engines. Power comes second.

Thanks for any comments
/RCfun.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which engines for a TwinAir 45?

I have a pair of Magnum .52XLSs in mine. Same weight as the .46, but a little more power. With 11-6 props I have excellent vertical. I can rotate to vertical on lift off and keep on going. I have a pair of OF .46AXs in another twin. Either one would be good, as would a pair of Thunder Tiger .46Pros or Saito .72s.

Any .46 class engine will do great. The OSs will probably require less messing with, but my Mags run fine. Just make sure they are reliable. Set each engine individually and don't go tweaking the needles every flight. You'll only end up single engine. Don't worry about syncing. It's over rated. I have been a thousand rpm off and haven't noticed until I went into a sustained vertical climb and saw it yawing off to one side. The plane has a nice long fuselage and a big vertical so it can easily handle any difference. You'll love it.

The only thing I would do is to break the engines in first and I prefer to fly mine in another plane before putting them in a twin. I have a Big Stick 40 with a Swiss cheese engine mount I use for this. At this point, it's had 9 different engines in it for some air break-in.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

I'll second everything Ed says. I have OS 46FX engines on mine and they were well broken in on other planes before I put them on the Twin-Air. In a year of flying the Twin-Air I've only had one dead-stick, and the plane was high enough that I was able to recognize the problem and land without any problems.

Go with any strong 46-class engines that you know are RELIABLE.

Well-synch'd engines sound great, but there is no significant effect on flight characteristics.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:58 AM
RCfun-RCU

Thank you for your replies. They are much appreciated. What I want to know now is if either
a SuperTigre or a Magnum will be considered not reliable enough to be placed in a twin.

Thanks for any comments
/RCfun
Old 03-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why you should have a problem with either of those engines. My Twin-Air has Magnum .52XLS 2-strokes in it and I have yet to have a problem. My other twin has OS .46AXs in it and, again, it is problem free. My newest twin, which is in progress, will have 2 GMS .47s in it.

Now, I admit that I have been flying glow powered model airplanes continuously since 1950 so I am not a rookie in the this area. I do use the normal, forward needle valve on all my Magnum 2-strokes. Call me old and set in my ways, but I think the remote needle is another place to have an air leak. The one on the AX, which is plactic, does work well. I am not sure that the Magnum one will stay air tight so I don't use it.

To tell you the truth, I think nearly all the engines on the market today are reasonably reliable. I attribute most of the problems to the operator. Every weekend I see engines tuned too lean on both top and bottom end. People are trying for perfection from a very simple carburetor and many times end up with the low end too lean. This can cause you mid range problems.

I have had Super Tigres and mine were excellent engines. My only hesitation in buying another is their mufler spacing doesn't match the norm so their choice of mufflers is limited. You may not find this to be a problem in Europe.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
SteveTrofemuk

I've got two Evolution .46 engines I'm gonna put in mine. Good, reliable engine. I'm also thinking of adding onboard glow starter for added security in those low RPM conditions.

I should caution against rotating to verticle on take off. Such a maneuver is impressive, but if an engine fails you will end up in a non-recoverable stall. This can happen even on a single but is doubly dangerous on a twin. Just my two cents. And yes, I often don't follow my own advice.