Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

how to install these horns?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

how to install these horns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Ragz

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how to install these horns?

How does one install these horns? Shouldnt these have a base that gets screwed on the opposite side of the control surface? I bought these from a LHS that sells giant scale stuff and they say that they need to be screwed on the surface directly without abase plate. I dont think thats a great idea. Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34413.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	286980  
Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 AM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to install these horns?

Not using a hardpoint might work for them, but I strongly urge you use some type of hardpoint. I use ply inlays. Its just not worth the worry to me and is easy to do.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 PM
RC-Captain

I never used them but I would go with screws and bolts just because it is a large scale plane. Just using a back plate would scare the dickens out of me while flying. GL

RCF esq.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:07 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

i would mount these to plywood or hardwood inserts with machine screws and nuts.you could make your own backing plate from 3/32 ply and use machine screws and nuts.what size plane?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Ragz

This is a 34% extra 300L with a Da100. Will be configured for 3D style flying.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:21 AM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

Those appear to be the new chip hyde control arms if they are I now several people that use them on 35% and 40% planes with no problems and yes they do fly extreem areobatics.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:28 AM
Ragz

Lee, I dont know if they are chip hyde's. When I bought them, they were in a non labled plastic bag in 5's. Odd number though. My main question was "how to secure them firmly?" Nuts and bolts through a hardwood block sounds like the most feasible option here. For some reason, I am uncomfortable using just machine screws.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
ecmiller

Machine screws are made to be used with a nut or used in a tapped hole. They do not have threads designed to hold in wood strictly on their own.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Ragz

Lee, I dont know if they are chip hyde's. When I bought them, they were in a non labled plastic bag in 5's. Odd number though. My main question was "how to secure them firmly?" Nuts and bolts through a hardwood block sounds like the most feasible option here. For some reason, I am uncomfortable using just machine screws.
The reason they come in 5's is that for a lot of giant scale planes the elevator halves aren't joined, and have a servo for each half.

Like most people said - I would use some thing like 4-40 bolts and locknuts through a ply hardpoint - or if your control surface is big (thick) enough - you might consider installing 4-40 bolts and blind nuts, esp if you haven't covered the area yet, and you could lay the covering down over the blinds.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to build a plywood plate into all of your control surfaces to bolt these to.