Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 AM
CitatioN10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

I made a post about this over in 3D flying , Not many prople had great things to say about this aircraft, I'm wanting to go buy it tomorrow but I want to be sure of a few things before I do .

#1 Will this plane do flat spins ?
#2 What other kinds of aerobatics will this plane do ? whats the main thing this plane does besides fly ?

I really love the way this plane looks and I want it so bad , I plan to put a .82 4 stroke on it .
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

It's a typical Cap. It will do almost anything you want but 3D will be lacking unless you can get gobs of throw out of all of the surfaces and then it will be mild 3D. At extreme throws it will snap hard if you are not careful. Yes it has the normal Cap snappiness engineered out but to fast and too much elevator and it will snap just like any other Cap.

There are tons better planes for 3D. Now if you want to fly precisely and do tumbles then any Cap will do just fine

Even though it looks "cool" looks aren't everything, sorry. A Saito 82 might be pushing it a tad bit so if you do get it make sure you beef it up a little. Also be careful of weight and wing loading to keep the snappiness down.

I never got the one I flew to do an upright flat spin that was truly flat. Inverted was better but not much.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:45 AM
CitatioN10
My Feedback: (1)

Ok so I guess if I get it , I should stick with the .70 .

What .40 size would you recommend that looks like the CAP for 3D ? I heard the funtana is a good way to go for 3D ?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CitatioN10

Ok so I guess if I get it , I should stick with the .70 .

What .40 size would you recommend that looks like the CAP for 3D ? I heard the funtana is a good way to go for 3D ?
I'm gonna rephrase my last post a tad

Actually just pin the firewall with tooth picks if you go with the 82. The one I flew was pretty heavily modified and was getting 65 degrees of throw on the elevators, ailerons in both directions and all the rudder you could get. I cannot give all the details on it as I simply do not remember. I can say this, it had a Saito 82 on a 15X4W prop so power was way more than needed

On book high rates, you could stand it on it's tail from full throttle level flight with a Saito 82 but you had to be ready with rudder and aileron. When switched to "all you can get" mode, it would snap instantly at a 3/4 throttle pull up into a wall.

We did some rolling harriers, and other high alpha maneuvers in high rate mode and it was pretty stable but it seemed to want to fight you a little bit with wing rock.

Normal hovering, slow flight, inverted flight, tumble manuevers, basic IMAC sequences, loops, rolls, stall turns, cubans, and the like were rock solid and easily done.

Now, as far as the Funtana 40 I cannot really say for sure. I never flew one, I have seen one fly in person and this pilot flew my Funtana 90 and he said that the 90 size was way more stable. I do love my Funtana 90. It's pretty solid even in "all you can get" mode and with a YS110 on the nose turning an APC 17X4W, it's a missle coming out of a hover. I can basically go full throttle on takeoff, the roll will be about 10 feet and then pull vertical and it's just like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going.

As far as a small 3D capable Cap goes, other than the 580 I do not really know of one. Maybe someone will chime in here with more info for ya.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Jerry_Hailey

I too am looking to get the cap 580 to replace the Goldberg super chipmunk that I have be flying. I have an OS 91 FX that flew like crazy on the chipmunk, so Thanks for the tip on beefing up the fire wall on the Cap 580. I have also looked at the GP 81" super chipmunk, but I'm not sure if the 91 FX will pull a 14 lb plane.

So am I better off with the Cap 580 or the giant Chipmunk?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
thundervee

Opinion's are like...well I won't go there, but if you want the cap buy it! you know yourself it WON'T be the last plane you buy so if you want it you should go ahead and get it, if you find it's not just what you were looking for then later go buy you something else, I hope you don't think I'm being a jerk I am just telling you what I would do and have done, Have Fun!!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a guy at our field has the matt Chapman and it flies real nice, not 3 D though. I noticed that Kangke has a "sport" Cap that looks like it might be more to what you are looking for. I am thinking about this one myself. I wish I knew someone that has it or has seen it fly. If you go to the Kangke web site they list it at 61 inch wing span at 6 Lbs .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14050.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	314255  
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Jerry_Hailey

OK thundervee, I went out today and bought the Cap 580. Your point was well taken. I'll just get the big chippie latter.

As I was leaving the Hobby store I realized I must have it bad. I had not even flown my patriot 40 that I just tuned in yesterday, and here I was getting a new plane. So I put up two flights on the Patriot and the came home to start assembling the Cap.

I have been flying on and off since 1982, you would think I'd be over it by now. LOL