Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried this fiberglassing techinque?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Has anyone tried this fiberglassing techinque?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 12:58 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried this fiberglassing techinque?

I once read where someone "glassed" a plane with 3/4 oz. fiberglass cloth and Minwax water based polyurethane. Sanded it all smooth and then brushed on a coat of Z-Poxy. Then did the primer and paint thing. This seems like a good idea to me, but I have yet to glass my first plane. I'm thinking about trying it on my current project. After all, the poly would just need to stick the cloth to the wood, wouldn't it? All you experts out there feel free to chip in on this one! Thanks for your time!
Old 10-25-2002, 01:33 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Default Has anyone tried this fiberglassing techinque?

You might want to do a search on glassing, it has been covered many times here and there is loads of very usefull information on how to do it properly.

But, in short, you do have it right. Lay the cloth down, spread finishing resin on, wet out the cloth, use a card to pull the excess resin off (start in the middle), let dry. For the 2-3-4 layer use Minwax, prime, paint. That's just basic info but do the search and find out lots more.

I think the next wing that I do I will take loads of pictures and make a How to: section on my web site.

Happy reading,

Kelvin.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:47 AM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: Has anyone tried this fiberglassing techinque?

Originally posted by green river rc
I once read where someone "glassed" a plane with 3/4 oz. fiberglass cloth and Minwax water based polyurethane. Sanded it all smooth and then brushed on a coat of Z-Poxy. Then did the primer and paint thing. This seems like a good idea to me, but I have yet to glass my first plane. I'm thinking about trying it on my current project. After all, the poly would just need to stick the cloth to the wood, wouldn't it? All you experts out there feel free to chip in on this one! Thanks for your time!
You have it bass akwards....Resin first, then water based polyurethane......Annnnnnd, there's more to this tecnique than this.

As suggested, do a search, and read, read, and read some more.....