Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
Religiously
38.16%
Occasionally
43.42%
Never
18.42%
What's After Run Oil?
0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you use After Run Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 07:43 AM
coolpixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you use After Run Oil?

Some also refer to it as After Burn Oil too
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: How many of you use After Run Oil?

If you use the engine regulary it's not important to use. I use a squirt of WD-40 down the carb and plug hole if I'm laying the car/plane/helicopter up for a few weeks just to stop them gumming up inside. After 25 years using nitro engines I've yet to see any internal rust on one of mine.

Always make sure that there is no unburnt fuel in the engine before you finish up for the day by allowing it to run dry. Then try and start it again (and it will for a few seconds) place the piston in BDC and thats it, job done.

This is of course my own view and others will swear the opposite

Ian F.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 AM
jasplat88

I answered occassionally because if I am going to run my truck within a day or two, I usually won't put after run oil in it. It's just when I am done with it for say the week when I do.

-Jason
Old 04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Friday_2006

Jas is right ! i do that myself too.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
tmodlin

I never do but I probably should since there is usually a week between run times. Maybe I will start with the new engine.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:00 PM
baker745

If you use sidewinder fuel, you dont need it. Tells you right on the label not to use it. I took the head off of my 2.5r yesterday and it still looks brand new, never used aro...
Old 04-08-2006, 11:31 PM
American Patriot

yeah the sidewinder bottle says after run oil not needed. unless i leave the truck sitting over the winter or for a couple weeks, I wont use the after run oil.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
burnchassis3

Thanks guys ..I too mentioned this to a few of the people here...they didnt seem to believe me!
LOL
I use sidewinder backyard basher in my 25.
Gotta use 30% in the collari 32,and ARO
CS
Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have engines that are over 30 years old, and I have never used after run oil. I always use a fuel that contains castrol, and always run the engine dry after flying. The thought is that when I run the engine dry, the fuel is gone, and since the engine is still hot, anything except the castrol is evaporated.

I do know that if I put the engine in long term storage (always kept in the house) it becomes gummy, this tells me that the engine has been coated with oil internally. To free the engine after long term storage, I put fresh fuel in the carb and exhaust and then slowly turn over until free. However, I used to squirt WD-40 in after storage, but someone told me it has silicone, will coats the glow element and it will fail prematurely - but I have no proof of this.

As others have mentioned, I've never had a problem with rust. If I do buy and old engine that needs new bearings etc. I do coat the surfaces with Rislone (yellow container from Walmart) which some people use as aftter run oil.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 04-09-2006, 10:38 AM
ScGRacer

i use it when i wont play with my truck for a few days.....the trinity fuel i use says it has additives that are good for after run.... but i usually use the hobbico after run (the red stuff) or just plain ole' wd40....which does work