Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
its great buy it
80.00%
theres so many probs save your money
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

should i get the x?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: should i get the x?

Got the 3-speed in the X case, Hitech 645 steering, dual-discs, and the Cayenne body.

The Dirt Bonz and rims I'm keeping.

I've also got an Axial .28 with Mugen alu clutch shoes, 18t vented racing CB, and a polished pipe for it. Keeping that.

So I hate to keep saying it, but it puts me off THAT much that I'm selling it even after all the effort I put into it.. Still have doubts, but when I look at it and grab it and compare it to my 25, it just .... well, you know all that.

What I'm particularly worried about for myself though if I end up keeping it is:

1.) It just looks too small(some Aussie guys made a vid with a Savage and an LST2 on a BMX track - and that really got me thinking about the LST2... Thing is damn fast, and huge..)
2.) the tranny issue with the new case
3.) the diffs
4.) overall quality

The spur gear issue - IF it's not tranny-case related, doesn't concern me too much. I've more or less got the knack of meshing correctly. I also ordered about six SG's from slapmafro with the Axial(Savage X spur from smf - $5 - I think, from my LHS jackass - €14..) - plus I was planning on switching back to the old style SG/slipper set-up anyway..

But in the end, despite the ridiculous body and the rims, and most importantly toughness issues, the LST2 would offer me the size and speed upgrade I'm looking for.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:41 AM
canucksrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick,
all I can say is it's to bad you did not try to run that truck Sounds like it would have been a monster with all that stuff. If you do change you mind run the truck with the stock motor to get the parts to break in well.

Search the LST2 forum. They have problems also. I think they have a new truck out in a couple of weeks.

Good luck,
P
Old 05-25-2006, 11:13 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

I haven't had any problems with it, because I haven't driven it
Ok...which is going to lead me to my first question:

because I think it's an inferior product, and I don't want a €600 inferior product.
How can you possibly think it's an inferior product if you haven't USED IT???

I've got nothing against you guys - I've stated over and over again it's only my opinion and that I may well be wrong.
I've got nothing against you, either, but I'm sure you would get annoyed too if I kept pining over how much better my X is than your Savage 25 and coming up with issues that you've never seen, especially when i'd never owned or driven a Savage 25
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: C Jar

i was thinking about buying the sav x until i heard about all these problems with the spur gear and the rotostart and the slipper clutch... ect.
what does everybody think? it would be my first nitro or any rc really, i a newb.
Get the truck. And then rip off the spur/slipper assy and replace it with ALL of the parts off of a S25/SS, S25LE, 4.6SS vintage of Savage. Then take the handheld Rotostart assy and throw it in the garbage or hawk it on ebay and just use a cordless drill with the Rotostart shaft chucked in it to turn over the engine-I've used my cordless drill for years now and my S25 is fine. Doing these 3 things will make your life easier.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:47 AM
buggymangp

i like my x.
yea i did have a few problems with it. bad one way the second the truck hit the ground.
bad roto start on the back of the motor. but i`m still on the factory spur. i got just about a gal thur it.
right now i`m just running the thing until parts break. i did upgrade a few things too. better steering servo, steering bearings, middle skid plate. HD motor mount and plate,allen screws and a few bling,bling parts.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Friday_2006

Actually every HPI Savage truck is awesome even the X. I have a LE & an X. So far I haven't got the slightest problem with the LE, except a spur (after 2 gallons and many roll overs without checking the mesh afterwards). As for the X had to change 5 SG's while the problem was not a mesh problem. Anyway i changed back at the old spur style and haven't got a problem since then. BUT ! Last time i bashed it after some hard landings this f%^$%^ lighweight upper arms broke. **** happens you might say, but why not at LE ??? Because they are not lightweight is just the simple answer. Who needs lightweight arms anyway...? I do only bashing and it gives my nerves when something from the chassis brakes ! Only spurs are excused !!![&:]

So...! Any Savage would be great. There will be problems anyhow. Just take care of it after every abuse you do to it. Kick its ass, its a gr8 toy...! Buy the one you ll find cheap. I ll prefer LE cause for the same money gives you more goodies, thats it if you can still find it.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Actually, the upper arms are identical to the ones on your LE. only the lower arms are lightweight.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 PM
pulse213

Yup, the upper arms are the same,so again it's not the X. I was so worried about the lighter lower arms that I bought a spare set,but so far they've held up to all the abuse. We have broken a lower arm on the 25,but it took a mean hit to do it.

My X has been real solid. Haven't seen any issues after 3 gallons,other than those which were driver induced. Yea, there have been a few of those.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Friday_2006

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Actually, the upper arms are identical to the ones on your LE. only the lower arms are lightweight.
Actually upper arms are not identical to my LE cause i tried to fit LE's upper to X and they wouldn't fit...!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 AM
HerrSavage

Well nobody bought my X AGAIN....., so I may be joining you guys.

But if something stupid breaks I'm gonna throw it in a f---ing lake and not look back and ..................
Old 05-26-2006, 07:54 AM
pulse213

Then I stand corrected,Friday. I have both in packages at the house,and they looked the same. I'll have to hold one up against the other,and see what the difference is. I was going to order the adjustable uppers for the X,glad you mentioned this. I'll try swapping the old to the X and see if it works.

Patrick, I still think your in the wrong hobby. I have yet to see an RC that didn't have something stupid break. It's just part of the hobby,half the fun is working on them. It's when they keep breaking that gets old.

How much are you asking for your truck? I wouldn't give 1/2-2/3 price for one,unless I broke the seals on the box myself. Also wouldn't give as much for one that's been modded already,unless I knew the guy that done the work.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
HerrSavage

Maybe I was just totally spoiled by starting off in the hobby with a Savage 25 - or at least MY Savage 25 - because it's been absolutely fantastic. I went through several SG's early on, but that was a fairly normal and painless learning proces. I recently had to change the OWB, but after 2+ gallons I expect and accept that kind of thing.

But busted chassis plates, unshimmed diffs being blown by the STOCK motor relatively early on, exploding trannies POSSIBLY due to a design flaw, etc etc.. I want nothing of. For the money these things cost they had better be solid. Plus, as I've said, it's just too small.

As far as wanting an LST2 goes, based on what I've heard, they must be a pain in the ass and pretty fragile. But for the added performance and size you get, plus the fact that they're a lot easier to work on, well, I'd accept all that. That would be a whole different kind of concept.

I got the X in order to drop in a 3-speed and bigger motor and make it kind of a tuning project, which I have.

Anyway, no, working on these things is not my favorite pasttime. You say it's not the right hobby for me, and in many ways it's not: I have NOWHERE to work on it because I live in a flat in a city, there is NOWHERE to drive it in walking distance, I don't have a car, so I have to depend on my girlfriend to drive me out to the middle of nowhere, and even then it's hard to find a good spot because the whole region is flat as a pancake, I'm only an English teacher, so for my income level this hobby is way too expensive(especially here in Germany), and so on. But despite ALL that I love taking my Savage out, being outside, the sound and smell of the engine, getting air, fishtailing around like a lunatic, the whole experience of DRIVING these things. So despite all the hurdles, I'm addicted, and I ain't giving up...

One option running through my head now is to keep it, put in the Axial 28, then sell the stock engine, body, wheels, and RS2(€3 is better than nothing..), and a new ribbed pipe I have, and maybe recoup €200.. Then I wouldn't feel so bad about all the money. If I do keep this thing though, I'll be taking my irritation out on it. This thing will be bashed fueled not only by nitro, but by evil intentions... I have a video camera too, so that could be an interesting project in itself...

Unless the diffs or whatever blow up on break-in.... Then I'll just douse it in nitro and burn it.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:02 AM
pulse213

I do see part of your predicament. We do have a nice work bench in the garage,but choose to tear them down on the floor in front of the TV. We have a 3 shelf cart on casters,and just roll it where we want it.

Don't worry so much about the X,like I've said,3 gals. thru mine all in the ruff stuff (no highway miles). There will be some bugs to work out,but there almost always is. The guys here will keep you going.

I had no troubles with the diffs running 1 1/2 gals. of 20% thru the 4.1. But, when I dropped the mach .28 burning 30% I did eat 2 pinions within the next 1 1/2 gals. The diffs need shimmed tighter,but I've heard guys with 25's saying the same thing. Besides, it's a snap now with the easy access diffs. I changed the front pinion,re-packed it with 50,000 silicone,and added the shims in like 15-20 min. while watching TV. Ready for the next bash!

Take her out and abuse her, you'll get the same thrill and the nitro smells the same.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
canucksrc

Hey Patrick,
fire the thing up with the stock motor. Let us know how the truck did

P
Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 AM
HerrSavage

My bedroom stinks of spent nitro and mud.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Friday_2006

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Actually upper arms are not identical to my LE cause i tried to fit LE's upper to X and they wouldn't fit...!
What's the difference?