Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the U.S. 35cc engine......

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Opinions on the U.S. 35cc engine......

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:53 PM
effx33
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the U.S. 35cc engine......

Im considering using a U.S. 35cc engine on a 1/4 scale Sopwith Camel.....Or would I be better using a other Manuf.(i.e. Zenoah or Quadra) if so why??....Are there other things that I could use to make these engines more reliable??.....

Thank you for your time!
Jim
Clev. OH
Old 12-27-2002, 04:07 PM
eagledancer-RCU

i had a sopwith camel from efingers plans at 17 lbs 1/4 scale with quadra 35, way underpowered, if you will be near this weight i would go with more power then a 35
good luck with your project
Old 12-27-2002, 04:13 PM
Saberjock

It is my understanding that a U.S 35=Q.35. If you look closely at the crank case of a U.S. 35, you'll see what looks like a bit of welding, with the (Made in U.S.A) stamp near it. The smudge is there to cover up the (Made in Canada) that was on Quadras. I think the casting molds were changed.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:46 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whose plans are you building from?
The US35 is basically the same engine as the Quadra 35 but it comes with the mount, spring starter, and throttle hookup.
I have a Quadra 35 in a 1/4 scale Pup (not the Balsa USA, my own plans) that weighs 16#. The 35 is more than enough power for it. The engine you choose would depend on the final weight of the model. If it will be 17-18 lbs. consider a Zenoah 38cc. I think the Zenoahs are much better quality than US engines (I have both). They are easy starting and nice running. Aerotech Hobbies down in North Canton, OH has great prices on engines.

I have a US35 that I'm going to use in a 1/4 scale SE5a from D. Bryant plans. It runs well on the test stand and it flew my 20# 1/4 scale Chipmunk. Takeoff was fine but it didn't pull it through aerobatics too well.

Jim
Old 12-28-2002, 12:55 PM
effx33
My Feedback: (6)

Default 35cc or Zenoah G62?

Im building a Mike Reeves Camel 1/4 scale....I do have a G62..Too much Power??

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-29-2002, 01:36 PM
beepee

Jim,

Probably. Prop clearance is something you should look at. Nose weight will likely not be an issue (maybe an advantage for the G62) as the WWI fighters have such short nose moments I don't think engine weight would be an issue.

If you are still thinking of the US engine, consider going with the 41. Same case and weight, but more power.

WWI aircraft flew with limited power. It would look very unnatural for one of these to climb-out in a near vertical departure.

Have fun!

Bedford