Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

need help transporting a plane by air

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

need help transporting a plane by air

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:27 PM
FunXtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help transporting a plane by air

hey everyone!

i was planning on flying overseas, and i will be forced on bringing my .46 size model along with me.

are there any crate designs out there so i can bring my SE along safely on the cargo compartment of the airliner?

thx for your time,

Harald
Old 07-08-2006, 07:30 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: need help transporting a plane by air

Not sure about shipping, but you need to make sure if the country you are going to flying in has the same frequency band, as in the US. Many do not.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:42 PM
FunXtra

oh all of that stuff is completely straightened out and my euipment is completely legal
i just want to figure out way to bring the fuselage with me without having it getting completely smashed up on the way :/
Old 07-08-2006, 09:12 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

There is no premade crates out there. Check out the RCU howto about making a crate for your model. But some foam from the local hardware store and cut it out to support the fuse/ wings and crate it up in ply. you would be fine.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 PM
RevGQ

I work for the Transportation Security Dept. You will not be allowed to transport fuels on passenger flights. Also, you might consider removing the batteries from your transmitter and plane and placing them in your checked baggage.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Laird SS

The guys that compete in the World Scale Model Championships (in Sweden this year) routinely make crates for their models. They use something like 1 x 2 or 1 x 3 to create the framework and use rigid foam for the large surfaces. I went to Poland with the team in 2004 and don't recall seeing any plywood in the crates since it is very heavy. Since the team is sponsored by the AMA, you might be able to get some guidance on crating from them.

For any who are interested, they can check the FAI web site to see what frequencies are used in various countries. As I recall, the US is the only country on 72 Mhz.

The next World Scale Model Championships will be in Poland in 2008. They are held in even numbered years. In the off years, they hold the European Scale Championships. In 2007 they are supposed to be held in Kiev. If you haven't seen FAI scale models, they are truly beautiful. They look just like miniatures of the full sized plane. You get down graded in static if the model engine or muffler shows unless it (the model engine/muffler) showed on the full scale plane. The amount of detail is outstanding.