Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ultracote \oracover

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ultracote \oracover

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 PM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultracote \oracover

Can anyone tell me if ultracote or monokote will work over oracover when used as trim colors over white.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 PM
alan0899

Default RE: ultracote \oracover

G'day Mate,
Should not be a problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultracote is Oracover the last time I checked. Monokote, if your using heat may be an issue because it works at a higher temperature
Old 02-23-2007, 10:42 AM
IronCross

Monocote can be used as long as you put it down using the trim solvent or windex method to put it on Ultacote and ORacote are "close" to the same thing... Lots of guys say they are but experiance tells me no... I have a couple Decathlons covered in Oracote and the film seems a lot thicker then the matching Ultracote I use for patching..
Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of times the backing on Ultracoat has Oracover printed right on it and the label on the roll says "made in Germany". As for using covering over covering, based on my experience, I'd go with the Ultracoat. It bonds at a lower temperature and doesn't bubble as bad. I've put it on top of both Monokote and Ultracoat with great results.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:11 PM
IronCross

I have seen the Oracote on the back of Ultracote also... Doesn't explain the differancce in thickness between the Ultracote and Oracote though... Maybe it just means both come from the same facotry ????....
No heat required to put Monocote down as trim using either of the mentioned methods although I have gone over the edges once in a while with a low temp setting on the iron.. Number of different ways to skin a cat I guess.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Oracover and Ultracote is the same product , made in Berlin, Germany! It's the American distributer that messes things up by calling well known products from Europe with another name...ie MVVS-Evolution, Oracover- Ultracote, Moki-Mark and so on....
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Oracover and Ultracote is the same product , made in Berlin, Germany! It's the American distributer that messes things up by calling well known products from Europe with another names...ie MVVS-Evolution, Oracover- Ultracote, Moki-Mark and so on....
That is what I have always thought... BUT... The Pheonix Dec sold by Tower clames to be covered by Oracoate... To patch a hole in it I ordered some Utracote, same color... There seems to be a big differance in the thickness of the two... Maybe they make it in different thicknesses..
Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Oracover and Ultracote is the same product , made in Berlin, Germany! It's the American distributer that messes things up by calling well known products from Europe with another names...ie MVVS-Evolution, Oracover- Ultracote, Moki-Mark and so on....
Jan K hit it right on the nose about Ultracote and Oracover.