Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage bogs at full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:48 PM
dszabo2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage bogs at full throttle

This problem has me beat. The engine will bog down at full throttle however only when its under a load. If I keep the truck off the ground the engine will run full speed with no issue. I have tried adjusting HSN up and down with no effect. It has a 3 speed tranny which I just pulled and disassebled and all seems OK. The pipe has no obstructions and the air filter is large and clean. The engine was doing the same thing prior to me replacing the carb with a sportworks 21 as recommended in other threads.

Please help.

Dave
Old 03-18-2007, 04:52 PM
fxrs

Default RE: savage bogs at full throttle

When you say full throttle do you mean after it reaches
full speed at full throttle it bogs or from a standing start you give it full throttle
and it bogs taking off?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:10 PM
wampablo

ive got the same problem with my lrp .28 z spec 3i its new and ive run it in and ive tried to tune it had it wheelieing at one point but now i give it full from the start lots of smoke and it hesitates but it will pick up then when it gets in to second gear (2 speed gearbox) at full throttle it bogs down also like the previous guy mine has also had a new filter but everything else is what came with engine any help would be good
Old 03-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: dszabo2

This problem has me beat. The engine will bog down at full throttle however only when its under a load. If I keep the truck off the ground the engine will run full speed with no issue. I have tried adjusting HSN up and down with no effect. It has a 3 speed tranny which I just pulled and disassebled and all seems OK. The pipe has no obstructions and the air filter is large and clean. The engine was doing the same thing prior to me replacing the carb with a sportworks 21 as recommended in other threads.

Please help.

Dave
"bogging down" is too generall of a term. Post up some more precise details as to exactly what happens as soon as you try to accelerate. Specifically does it accelerate at all, or does it immediately stall? If it stalls, thats called a "flame out" and this happens because your LSN is set too lean.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:04 PM
hawk 2

This might help....

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As[/link]

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg[/link]
Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 PM
dszabo2

The engine will accerate fine, to full throttle, when I have the wheels off the ground. However when the car is on the ground it will accelerate well off the line until you get into third gear and the throttle is almost full open. Then the engine will drop significantly in RPM, almost to point of stalling. It doesnt matter if you accelerate slow or fast it will always bog down at 3/4 throttle or higher.

Releasiing the throttle will allow the engine to recover. Occasionally when the truck is deccerating it will come to a sudden stop like someone hit the brakes, real hard.

I was thinking it was something in the tranny. All gears are in excellent condition inside however I have not opened up the shifting mechanism.

Dave
Old 03-18-2007, 08:38 PM
jumpin_high

you engine is running to lean try richening the high speed needle. i have a savage SS 4.6 and i had the same problem
Old 03-18-2007, 10:22 PM
benzzyo5

yeah sounds to lean, ritchen it up 1/4 to a 1/2 turn
Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: dszabo2

The engine will accerate fine, to full throttle, when I have the wheels off the ground. However when the car is on the ground it will accelerate well off the line until you get into third gear and the throttle is almost full open. Then the engine will drop significantly in RPM, almost to point of stalling. It doesnt matter if you accelerate slow or fast it will always bog down at 3/4 throttle or higher.

Releasiing the throttle will allow the engine to recover. Occasionally when the truck is deccerating it will come to a sudden stop like someone hit the brakes, real hard.

I was thinking it was something in the tranny. All gears are in excellent condition inside however I have not opened up the shifting mechanism.

Dave
Yup, I agree with the others, your HSN is set way too lean. Try turning the HSN 1/4 turn counterclockwise, and see if the truck holds WOT better. This is strictly an engine issue, and has nothing to do with your drivetrain.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:39 AM
dszabo2

If that was the case why would it run perfect with no load on the wheels?. The HSN is currently 3 to 3 1/2 turns out, how far out do you run?

Dave
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
jombo

its the lsn is too lean do the pinch test it should stay at idle for 5 to 6 seconds. just pinch the line midway between the carb and the engine and just tune for performance from there.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 AM
dszabo2

LSN has very little effect after 1/2 throttle. I can run all day long at half throttle.

Dave