Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Whats going on with the reviews on RCU?!?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Whats going on with the reviews on RCU?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
ross_jsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats going on with the reviews on RCU?!?

i love the reviews on rcu, always brilliant and great in depth pictures of the transmissions engines etc. but lately they seem to have gone to pot!

Eric Hege does some great reviews. Love reading through them. He really does them well with all the disassembly pics and details everything.

but the latest reviews have sucked! (although Jonathan Fox's review on the xray nt1 was pretty shweet). The review of the AE MGT was really bad! wasn’t even a new truck and definitely wasn't stock with no detailed pics...same thing with the tower terror review. Couple of paragraphs and some pics with the bod off.

I might just sound like im winging, but rcu! Please do something about it!!!! i noticed you were recruiting for reviewers about a month or so ago, maybe this is the reason why the quality has suffered as it isnt your usual reviewer. i was going to apply, but didn’t have a video cam but i feel i, and many others, could write a far better review.

[/rant over]

Thanks for listening!

ross
Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
2916jr

Default RE: Whats going on with the reviews on RCU?!?

exspecially the mgt it wasnt new either
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Dokioto

I don't see anything wrong with the Tower Terror review. And there are a lot more then a few paragraphs.[&:] http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=875
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM
ross_jsy

yes, but compare it to one by Eric and there is a biiig difference. paragraph comment was reffering to the under the body section of the review where eric dismantles the car and photographs each section, writing a comment about it
Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Dokioto

He obviously cant do everything .... Everybody has different writing styles. With that being said it isn't really bad at all. It talks about the whole truck and gives info about the performance.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:47 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, Erics reviews are awesome. EXCEPT, every vehicle they review, they give a good rating it seems...

but still, it gives you a good chance to see some close ups of it dissasembled and a good on track review.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

Yeah, Erics reviews are awesome. EXCEPT, every vehicle they review, they give a good rating it seems...

but still, it gives you a good chance to see some close ups of it dissasembled and a good on track review.
What do you expect? RCU lives off the ads on the site. Just follow this line of thought to the end and the reason becomes clear.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Thats why the Warhead got a good review[&:]
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM
webdr

Hi,
My name is Matt and Im the guy who wrote the new reviews for RCU that are in question. Allow me to explain a few things.

First, Im new. Ive never written a review before unlike Erick who has ALOT under his belt. But we all have to start somewhere, right? I wouldnt have gotten the job if RCU didnt think I had the skills to create them and enough where-withall to accurately review a vehicle.

Secondly, your right, the MGT is used and its supposed to be. It was my first review and a TEST to see if I had what it takes to write reviews for RCU. They liked the review and decided to post it. That was the rules set forth by RCU, to review a vehicle you already have as a test.

Finally, I disagree that a vehicle in review must be completely disassembled to provide a quality review. I find that a thorough testing and accurate description of its good and bad points works better than seeing inside the differential or pulling apart the tranny to view the gears. I dont mind taking the truck apart but I dont see it being detrimental to a review.

In closing, I say please give me a little time to mature as a reviewer as Im still a rookie. I feel that I accurately review each vehicle and state the good and bad points and thats what people want, right? Like another post stated, everybody has their own way to write a review and Im sorry if my style is not to your liking.
Sincerely
Matt Gunn
Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Dokioto

I thought they were fine... They had every thing that I would look for in a review. If I was looking into getting that vehicle, thoes review had all the info I needed.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say stop whinning about it, the Tower Terror isn't going to be as popular as a Losi or HPI so why does that even matter. And plus theres tons of information on the forums.

Dustin, thats my problem with RCU. I like real reviews like RC Driver and Xtreme RC do.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

webdr, I thought your MGT review in and of itself was good. I did however think it was weird and kind of lame to see a used, modded truck being reviewed.. Now that you've explained it's clear and understandable.. I also agree with you about not having to take a truck completely apart... But RCU should have prefaced the review with that information. Nothing against you - as I said, the review was good man. But it was kind of dumb of RCU to do it that way without making it clear.. Keep up the good work..

(who gets to test the new Savage X4.6??)

BTW, I find Eric Hege's reviews merely OK - thorough, yes, but, as a basher only, kind of lame to see all the trucks drive around in circles on the same track.. I understand the idea of being fair and having all trucks run on the same surface and being put through the same things. But it's kind of like testing a Porsche vs. an SUV on the same track... He used to do more jumping off the ramp in his backyard, and that was cool.. Seeing the CEN GST for ex driving around a track was kind of dumb IMO...
Old 07-04-2007, 05:31 AM
ross_jsy

ahh ok, thanks for explaining it to me. they weren't bad, just not what i'm used to. wish you luck with future reviews.

and patrick, believe it or not.....the gst was designed to be used on the track haha looked like a hippo going around on a pogo stick IMO
Old 07-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: webdr

Hi,
My name is Matt and Im the guy who wrote the new reviews for RCU that are in question. Allow me to explain a few things.

First, Im new. Ive never written a review before unlike Erick who has ALOT under his belt. But we all have to start somewhere, right? I wouldnt have gotten the job if RCU didnt think I had the skills to create them and enough where-withall to accurately review a vehicle.

Secondly, your right, the MGT is used and its supposed to be. It was my first review and a TEST to see if I had what it takes to write reviews for RCU. They liked the review and decided to post it. That was the rules set forth by RCU, to review a vehicle you already have as a test.

Finally, I disagree that a vehicle in review must be completely disassembled to provide a quality review. I find that a thorough testing and accurate description of its good and bad points works better than seeing inside the differential or pulling apart the tranny to view the gears. I dont mind taking the truck apart but I dont see it being detrimental to a review.

In closing, I say please give me a little time to mature as a reviewer as Im still a rookie. I feel that I accurately review each vehicle and state the good and bad points and thats what people want, right? Like another post stated, everybody has their own way to write a review and Im sorry if my style is not to your liking.
Sincerely
Matt Gunn
How did your review on a product on RCU's reveiw page? Do you have to sign up for something?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 AM
studysession

ORIGINAL: webdr

Hi,

Sincerely
Matt Gunn

Well said -

RCU Allows any of it's users to write a review and have it posted. Before a review is posted it is read and approved my the admins of RCU. Sorry if some of the users did not care for these reviews mentioned. You can't please everyone. And regardless it is a positive contribution to RCU from an active memeber. And that is what we try to encourage.

Thanks -
SS