Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

waterproofed my ride.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 04:39 PM
gunrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterproofed my ride.

Spent a few last nite water proofing my GS Storm and xxxnt. Wrapped everything in helium quality balloons, zip tied and siliconed. Thanx to crash_me_over I found the info needed to get this done.

However I remember buggies_r_us saying I need to worry bout bearings getting wet. Any ideas on how to maintain so they don't rust? And which bearings were you refering to?

Keep in mind I'm new at this stuff. Bought my cars rtr but have already taken just about every piece off both either due to repair or just messin round.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:47 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to worry about all the bearings. You need to concern yourself with the wheel bearings (in front knuckles and rear hubs) and the differential support bearings. They are the most susceptable to getting wet.

After a day in a wet environment, you need to tear down the car, wipe the bearings clean, and use mild heat (do not use high pressure air-flow to disperse water, it will drive moisture into the bearing. Hit them with a non-dust attracting lube (WD-40 attracts dust btw) - this will help with water resistance the next time you play.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:54 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Yep.. Well the first day I Was messing with RC cars.. I started my first car at full throttle instead of full idle.. (what are you laughing at?! )

Well all that vibration knocked out a coupla bearings since I didnt have the wheels on (thank God!)

Now on top of that it was raining and it was dark.. so I didnt find the bearing till next day.
And in about 16 hours the bearings rusted!!!
These are brand spankin new bearings!

So yeah they will rust in no time! WD 40 is something I Was going to suggest before sylvested beat me to it lol.

Also.. I'm gonna go buy some graphite powder for my CVDs.
This doesnt attract dust (heck it is dust!) And I think it might do a good job of lubricating too.

Let me know what you think of the graphite folks! My lawn mower needs it anyway so I'm gonna go get.
And while I'm at it I think I should dutifuly mail a package I owe someone!! lol
-ram
Old 03-13-2003, 05:35 PM
KyleSch

I've tried graphite on non RC and it really makes things smooth, but I am not sure about RC since they have some (not much) thickness to them I am not sure if they will be able to fit between parts just because everything is so tight. Let me know how it works though, I have a tube sitting in my basement right now and maybe I can find a use for it.

Kyle
Old 03-13-2003, 06:32 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used dry graphite on my r/c cars (ring and pinion gears, CVD joints, hinge pins, etc). It works like a charm. The only downside is everything you / it touch turns shiny grey.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:51 PM
petrolpixie

what do you use graphite powder on??
Old 03-13-2003, 08:50 PM
gunrunner

Any friction point. That's what I'd guess?????????
Old 03-13-2003, 10:48 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

AHA!! Damn cats are all the same.. sly.. sneaky and hide tricks like that and make people feel dumb when they figure things out by saying "I've done that for 8 years now.. so?"
LOL j/k!
btw.. your bearings and your clutch bell are on their way!
-ram