Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fire Extinguisher ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
RJConnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher ?

I am new to gas, (EF 74" Yak, Brillelli 46) and have been made aware that it would be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy when starting and running a gas plane. I am not familiar with the various technologies in extinguishers and would like to know what type would be best in this application. Like somthing that will put out a gasoline fire and not leave the plane with a horrible clean-up job. Any comments will be appreciated..........RJ
Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fire Extinguisher ?

ORIGINAL: RJConnet

I am new to gas, (EF 74" Yak, Brillelli 46) and have been made aware that it would be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy when starting and running a gas plane. I am not familiar with the various technologies in extinguishers and would like to know what type would be best in this application. Like somthing that will put out a gasoline fire and not leave the plane with a horrible clean-up job. Any comments will be appreciated..........RJ

------------------

In the past, a Halon fire extinguisher would have been the best. Some are still floating around in some stores. Bad news is that it will probably not be refilled by anyone.

The second best and really close to Halon is the CO2 fire extinguisher. This is my favorite of them all. It is readily refillable, great environmentally and does not damage to the object it is aimed at.

Powder extinguishers are not well suited for uses where plans on reusing the equipment again are normal. They do work very well at fire suppression, but their clean up requirements pretty much guarantees that the item coated with the powder is useless afterwards.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Dr1Driver

Nevertheless, a small "auto" or "kitchen" extinguisher is what you need. They're usually a "one use" item, to be thrown away after the emergency is past. You can pick one up at Wal-Mart for under $10. Keep it in your tool or pit box.

If you need to use it, clean off all electronic and mechanical components as soon afterwards as you can. Use plenty of water and let everything air-dry.

Dr.1
Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I agree that a powder extinguisher is the minimum that should be carried. Any fire extinguisher is better than no fire extinguisher.

Oh, and not just for gas fired engines. Glow modelers and electric modelers should carry them too. Diesel modelers are smart enough that they already have a fire extinguisher. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the Wallie store and get the little fire extinguisher made for small boats. It is white. It is a perfect size and made for engine/gas fires and cost $10 - $15. I keep one in my flight box.