Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ElectroDynamics Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:39 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ElectroDynamics Kill Switch

Does anyone have any exprience with the ElectroDynamics EDR-107 Fiber Optic Kill Switch? It looks alike a good idea and the price is reasonable. Are they reliable?
Old 03-28-2003, 01:20 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

I use one on my 3W 150 with good results. It's got about 50 flights on it and has been flawless so far. I'ts the only real way to go for complete safety coverage. Good Luck_bob
Old 03-28-2003, 02:50 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Default ditto

I use two, one in each of two planes...I love em...

Nice to be able to turn ignition off from the tx.

--Sean
Old 03-28-2003, 03:23 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

There are a number of ways to kill the engine from the transmitter. Other than electronically, there is a good chance of the setup not working when you need it though. If the kill mechanism is mechanical for instance, and the engine gets loose on the firewall, a mechanical setup has a 50/50 chance of shutting the engine down. If it pulls the linkage and the engine speeds up, not good! Servo activated setup can fail in the same way. Let's hear about your experiences_bob
Old 03-28-2003, 04:20 PM
barryb-RCU

I have two installed. Never had any problems.

I had one save that I would've lost the a/c on if I'd used a choke servo instead.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:43 PM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with the positive comments expressed by the others. Two planes using them now... and I intend to use them on all future gassers too.

I will add other benefit... additional safety during transport. If the IGN switch is accidently turned on during handling, the ignition system doesn't have power unless the RX switch is also turned on (and maybe not even then until the TX is turned on with it's assigned switch turned on).

I also like the LED indicator... which I extend the leads on and mount them up front in the cowl so I can see the light from in front of the model. Nice to know if the ignition system is hot when you're in front of a big baloney slicer.

(Click on image for a lager version)

The only thing I REALLY don't like about the EDR version are the Deans connectors. Sure wish they would use normal generic RX connectors like most ignition modules use. Not really a problem if you are good at soldering deans connectors... but a pain if you suck at soldering like me. Fortunately, www.RadicalRC.com has been a godsend with their made-to-order custom wiring.