Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

MAN's Conversion $$

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAN's Conversion $$

First off, I know this hobby/sport is not exactly a poor man's game. However, when I read the MAN's conversion of the Hanger 9 Miss America P-51 to E-Power the numbers kind of floored me! The least expensive major part of this deal was probable the plane itself. Don't get me wrong I love quiet power and applaud the ground breaking few out there expanding the E-power horizons. I think for the rest of us Park Flyers the costs of batteries for this plane($300+) the ESC's at ($160.) and the motor ($130) makes it a budget-buster. I guess the article does prove that bigger glow planes can be converted without to much fuss. I just hope the industry comes around with an economical conversions as well. Time will tell, and my ranting is over. BTW Cudos to the twin-engine types out there, ( you guys/gals know no bounds!) Mikel-t
Old 10-07-2006, 09:47 AM
afineman

Default RE: MAN's Conversion $$

Mikel-t

There are some very cost affective solutions I'll use my 2 conversions as examples.

Hanger 9 P-51 PTS I used this motor http://www.warbirds-rc.com/Store/hett291810.html $56.

This ESC http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...93&pid=V470156 $39

These batteries http://www.a123systems.com/html/products/cells.html (Dewalt V36 battery pack 10 cells in a pack) off E-Bay $96 including shipping.

I get 18 min of flight ( I limit it to 15 because of the sharp fall off of these batteries) I run 5S2P with an 11X7 prop and get this result http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....0abbf2ffd806f6 .

The 2nd plane http://ak-models.com/ultimate_120.htm

Has this motor coming http://www.unitedhobbies.com/comersu...idProduct=2097 $64

The same ESC and Batteries (6S2P) as above.

As seen if you willing to try the no name stuff the cost of the entire conversion is less than the good lipo packs.

Granted if your looking to just buy a known motor ( AXI ) known ESC ( Castle Creations) and known batteries (Thunder power) because you don't want the hassle of researching every thing yourself then this is the way to go, but it's going to cost you.

There are Some Chinese companies that are coming out with some quality parts that will save you a ton of money on these conversions, aks around because some are MUCH better than others.

Hope it helped

Brent
Old 10-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Mikel-t

Holy-Lipos BATT-MAN!, I've seen your video before and was amazed!. Here's a couple of quick question. What's the AUW of the P-51, How do those batteries compare weight and discharge?, can they be recharged as quickly as hand-power tools?. How about connecting cells, you made the 6S2P I assume, any hassles there. Now I gotta go search the web , you got me recharged! THanks for all your detective work..Great Job!. Mikel-T.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:16 PM
afineman

Mikel-t

The P-51 comes in at 6lb 6oz.

I like the A123 cells for a few reasons, Safety ( I over charged a pack and the only thing that happened was a Popping sound, If I had made that same mistake with Lipos, there would of been a fire)

Performance ( they are rated @ 30 C discharge, but I never go above 20, and you can safely charge them @ 10 C, that's right 6 min charge times).

Cheaper ( I get the Dewalt 36V packs off e-bay for about $100 shipped, so that makes it $10 per cell, I run 5S2P in the P-51 so that 10 cells @ 4,600 Mah, @ 849 Grams now compare my $100 battery to the equivalent @ Hobby Lobby)

More durable ( metal can)

The power to weight ratio is still better in lipos, BUT for 1/2 the cost I get a safer and durable pack, besides I'm on the glow to electric kick so the extra weight helps me get CG.

There are welded tabs on the pack that you can easily solider to.

Hope that answers the questions

Brent

ORIGINAL: Mikel-t

Holy-Lipos BATT-MAN!, I've seen your video before and was amazed!. Here's a couple of quick question. What's the AUW of the P-51, How do those batteries compare weight and discharge?, can they be recharged as quickly as hand-power tools?. How about connecting cells, you made the 6S2P I assume, any hassles there. Now I gotta go search the web , you got me recharged! THanks for all your detective work..Great Job!. Mikel-T.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:35 PM
oldpops

afineman
You got my attention. I have looked at the A123systems website and this looks like my answer to flying bigger birds. What charger do you use? (A123systems) If not how do you balance your cells? Is there another thread that covers my questions?

pops.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
afineman

Pops

There are a hand full threads on RCG (in the battery section), I actually bit the bullet ( even though I have a good power supply and a good inverter (for field charging))

I bought this http://www.hobby-lobby.com/chargers_lipoly.htm#Xtrema .

As far a balancing, I've checked the cell after the 20th flight and they are with in .01 volts of each other, so the DRIVING need to balance does not seem to be the same with these cells.

REMEMBER, the driving need to balance the Lipos was for safety and longevity ( if you read on RCG these batteries does not have the same driving force).

I will use these cells from now on, it makes no sense (to me anyways) to bear the risk and inflated cost to get a few less Oz in weight and a few 100 Mah more in power.

Just my opinion

Brent
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 AM
oldpops

Thanks Brent

Good info. I've been ready to take the step up but the price of batteries has been the deterrent. If you compare the price difference in the battheries you can justify the "Xtrema", looks like a good choice. I like the built in watt meter. Would this take the place of meters such as the Watt's up meter? I started flying last Christmas with a two channel and my next plane will be my seventh. All have been parkflyers and 3D foamies. I'm doing a little research on the h9 Pulse XT 40 and the Funtana 50x. These are both 5-6 lb planes and I don't think the added weight will affect the performance with my flying skills. I'm torn between buying a trainer or a real 3d. Anybody can take off, it's the landings that consern me. Thanks for the good info. I'll be watching your posts on the conversions.

POPs
Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 AM
afineman

Pops

If your thinking about a bigger plane and may be thinking about a trainer, I would suggest the Multiplex Magistar RAF kit ( can be had here http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...58&pid=V468410 )

My brother has both this plane and the Hobbico Nexstar, both fly great but the Magistar is very tough and durable and an easy electric conversion.

OOHH and yes this charger will take the place of the Watts Up meter.

Best of luck

Brent
Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Mikel-t

Brent, Ok , I'm gettin-it. I think. I went to the A123 site then went to A123 Racing( on the drop down menu). There they offer lipo cells in pack form for R/C use as well as their charger. All the info you have given seems the same, so...are you using these packs and bashing them? OR are you using their tool batteries?. BTW these packs don't have the same C>DC rate or visa-versa. Thanks for putting me (us) onto them
Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 AM
c_rad001

for cost effective ie..cheap quality motors and batteries(I have Loong Maxx 15C 2250ma 3s1p[$24.95 US] and Turnigy 42-50 500kv 900watt outrunner[$29.00 US] ) as well as other electric flight gear check out http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=6231
as far as their lipo's I can only vouch for the Loong Maxx brand I haven't tried the Poly Quest or Zippy. I can tell you my E-Flight 20C 3s1P 2100 mah is not up to par performance wize or quality either. My HZ Typhoon3D foamie will go ballistic for about 17 to 19 min max on E flight batt; while I get about 24 to 26 min on the Loong Maxx
Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 AM
CarreraGTSCS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

c rad001-- What are you running the Turnigy motor in? What's the weight and set up of the plane? I was thinking of ordering it for a 6-7lb scale warbird.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM
jmohn

More big electrics - Yeah!

I have a bunch of them and people at the fields can't believe they are electric.

CMP Hellcat, 120 size, 10 lbs.: Eflight Power 60 w/16-10 3-blade prop on a 5000 mah 6S pack.
CMP Zero, 50 size, 7.5 lbs.: Eflight Power 60 w/15-8 2-blade prop on a 3800 mah 6S pack (very fast)
H9 Sopwith, 7 lbs, Eflight 46 w/15-8 prop on a 5000 mah 4S pack
3CeeBees Nieuport 17, 10 lbs: Eflight Power 60 w/15-8 2-blade prop on a 3800 mah 6S pack

Working on a KMP Stuka with a Eflight 110 using 2 x 4S 5000 mah pack in series for 8S. I should get around 1700 watts for a plane that will weigh around 12 lbs.

The batteries are definately the expensive part of the hobby for me. I try and get planes that use the same packs so I don't have to buy more. I have also been playing with old laptop batteries, but haven't been able to get the amps required for electric flight on them yet. I have a couple drill packs that I am trying too and hope they will work for some planes in the future.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM
c_rad001

I'm in the proscess of putting it in an old Das Ugly Stick .40 size AUW of 5.8lbs/ 2636g