Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stripped Head Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Dirt_Boy77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Head Bolts

hey guys, I just got an Electric Traxxis Stampede but have a Duratrax Maximum MT that I thought I might try and get running again. It had an airleak so I thought I would tear the engine apart and seal everything up. So I take the engine out of the car and get my allen wrench. Get it on one of the head bolts and it stripped out(I had the right size BTW),So I went to another bolt and it stripped out,then another stripped. The last one broke loose. My question is how do I get these bolts off now. I can't get a hacksaw blade in there to cut a straight edge in it for a screwdriver. What are your thoughts,Matt
Old 04-07-2003, 02:30 AM
ProCarbine2k1

Default hey

hey sounds like you are screwed hahalol.... uh cough cough umm never mind lol. anyways, you have to be VERY VERY careful doing this, but a small drill or dremel, with a 1/16 bit or something very small might be able to mill it out enough for you the get a small screwdriver in there...
Old 04-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Dirt_Boy77

Thanks Magic, I'll see what I can do. Matt
Old 04-07-2003, 11:47 AM
1fstxnt

drill the head off the bolts then take the head off then unscrew the remaining bolts with a pair of pilars
Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 PM
KyleSch

Yes, make sure that the drill is bigger than the threading on the other side. Also you will definitly know when its popped off as you actually hear (and feel) a crack, once you hear that stop drilling and that screw should be loose. Also don't feel afraid to push hard since if you don't it will take a long time (like 10 min per screw) and the screws are deeper than you think. When you feel that your getting close to the bottom of the screw let up a little bit and wait for that pop!
Old 04-08-2003, 02:22 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default cut off wheel

Dremel and a Fiber cut off wheel and those screw heads are history.
Drilling out the heads is busy work and a pain in the rear. By the time you get one done with the drill. I will have all of them chopped with the dremel.

Work smarter not harder

Dbow