Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Canopy Fabrication

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Canopy Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:25 AM
tomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Fabrication

Does anyone out there know how to make a canopy from scratch? Perhaps there have been articles in some of the modelling magazines. Does anyone have a reference?

My specific problem is that I am in the final building stages of a 120 inch wing span Schweitzer 1-26 and need a canopy. So far I haven't been able to find one that is large enough. If I cannot find a canopy that will work, I will have to make one myself. The alternative is to make it from a hollowed balsa block and then paint it.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 AM
CafeenMan

I take it you don't have a vacuum former or you wouldn't be asking this question.

The only way I know is to fake it. You carve a plug from balsa or another wood. Seal the wood well with multiple coats of lacquer or polyurethane. Let it dry for at least a week. You can put it in your oven to accelerate the drying, but the fumes won't make your next lasagna taste too good.

You could just leave it in the sun to bake as well.

Once it's dry, sand it smooth and wax it. Glue a dowel or two into the bottom of it and mount it on a board so that it's stable. the board should be big enough that it won't tip over when you pull the plastic over the form.

Next, build a frame to hold the plastic sheet. You can heat the plastic in the oven (carefully!) or get some friends with heat guns to help you out. Warm it up until it sags and immediately pull it over the form. Let it cool and pop it off.

Repeat until you get one that you like. It can take several attempts - especially if the canopy is deep or large. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:19 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

He is right on the money........vacuum form it.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:12 AM
tomb

Thanks for your help.

I thought first of a vacuum former. The one that I have access to does not have capacity for the size canopy that I need.

What kind of plastic would be best for the canopy?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:01 AM
CafeenMan

typically it's butyrate.