Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

brushless vs brushed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
bigwill5686

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless vs brushed

i am looking at the novak systems for my new axial artr and i cannot decide between the brushed or the brushless system, i will be running a heli lipo because of its small size and weight, i know of the advantages to brushless over brushed, but which is better for crawling?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
dezfan

Default RE: brushless vs brushed

At the moment, brushed as the start up is not as smooth w/ a BL at this time.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: dezfan

Really? I've run Novak's Goat system and it feels very smooth. I could barely tell the difference between that and a brushed motor. But that is a sensored system. The non-sensored brushless motors are definitely lacking.

The nice thing about the Goat, in my opinion, is the powerband. It's low speed control is great, but if you need wheelspeed, it almost has the same top end as 27T stock motor. A standard 55T motor can't touch the top end speed of the Goat. The Goat motor is bigger and heavier than a standard brushed motor, but in the AX-10, the motor sits pretty low, so it's not that much of a detriment. The price is more of detriment

Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM
hands without shadows

The Goat can only take 7 cells, 2s lipo. Got a link to your heli pack? You cant just use any battery.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
bigwill5686

price doesn't really matter, the thing i am worried about if having enough power on demand, the wheel speed isn't really what i am looking for, but is nice for when you need it, so i will probably go brushless
Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
bigwill5686

sorry no link to the heli pack, but since i decided to go with the brushless, i will be running the same exact setup as my buddy and he uses the same heli pack as i will be, and he has ran it for about 6 months or so
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
hands without shadows

Is the pack a 2s or a 3s? A lathe motor really wakes up on 3s.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brushless is a big mistake when you have choices like a 35t handwound on a 3s lipo, now that is a crawlers wet dream> great lowend torque and smooth accl. and fantastic wheelspeed when needed. But then there is a cobalt motor, stupid fast wheelspeed but very power hungry, excellent lowend resolution!!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
dezfan

ORIGINAL: K_B

ORIGINAL: dezfan

Really? I've run Novak's Goat system and it feels very smooth. I could barely tell the difference between that and a brushed motor. But that is a sensored system. The non-sensored brushless motors are definitely lacking.

The nice thing about the Goat, in my opinion, is the powerband. It's low speed control is great, but if you need wheelspeed, it almost has the same top end as 27T stock motor. A standard 55T motor can't touch the top end speed of the Goat. The Goat motor is bigger and heavier than a standard brushed motor, but in the AX-10, the motor sits pretty low, so it's not that much of a detriment. The price is more of detriment

I agree the Novak is very smooth, but there is a difference, and IMHO the brushed is smoother.

Add in the cost of the Novak like you stated, the 7 cell limit, and size of the Novak motor (an issue on several of the new smaller sized chassis and the Berg axles) and a Castle unit w/ a 35t motor on 3S offeres better low end resolution, equal if not better wheel speed and is less expensive.