Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Can You Press a Warped wing under construction

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Can You Press a Warped wing under construction

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 01:16 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can You Press a Warped wing under construction

I am building my first kit (someting extra) and ran into what I consider a small problem. I put on the bottom leading edge with the wing braced for no warp. When I lifted off the table to begin blocking the Trailing edge I found the wing a little warped. Push down on the left trailing edge area and the front wing right side raised about 1/4". I have reblocked the entire wing so that weight is pressing on the trailing edge and the opposite wing main spar and it is straight. I thought leaving it for a few days would help to let it adust over time. Will this Work? And if not how would I straighten it?
Old 05-24-2003, 01:45 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

it may but you will have better luck if the air fram is wet and then weighted flat till dry.you may find that you may have to put a bit opposite twist in to get it right.do a search of warped wing there was a question posed like this not long ago.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pin or weight it down level. When you sheet the other side of leading edge sheeting it will become very rigid. With sheeting only on one side it's pretty flexible. Make sure it's level as you can get it. You only get one chance. I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:14 AM
hookedonrc

Sorry Flypaper, I should have explained that in the Something Extra kit you start with the top side of the LE. That is already done. I am on the second step putting on the bottom of the LE. However, I have weighted it down and sprayed it with Windex that has ammonia-d in it. I searched for other threads on RCU as scalebldr suggested. The windex with ammonia was one of the suggestions. Since I my building will be on hold for a couple of days here, I will keep the wing weighted and may very well put another coat of spray on it. We are having a funfly at our field on Memorial Day and a clean up today, so I will be pretty busy. We expect about 45 pilots which is what we got last year.

BTW: I am at a point where I am supposed to add the Trailing Edge next so it is not in place. Because this is not glued down yet I am hopeful that the weighting and spraying mist will do what I need. The other wing came out just right.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:26 AM
hookedonrc

Hey guy's just went into the garage and took the weight off of the wing. It is almost straight! I still have a about 1/8" of an inch of warp from the inside trailing edge to the ousite spar. I have slipped a thin balsa sheet under the outside trailing edge to let me put a little more pressure past straight hoping that when I take the weight off next time it will spring back a little to exactly straight. I don't see why this won't work since I got such a good result the first time.

I do want to thank you for the advice. This site is the greatest, nice people and great information.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:05 PM
scalebldr

we have all been there one time just let us know the final result you should be ok.if you are covering with film [monokote] you should be able to remove any remainder twist by twisting opposite till film wrinkles then shrinking till they disappear.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:36 PM
hookedonrc

Now I really do not know what to do. I got both wings pretty straight, finished the Trailing edge, then put on the wing sheeting. After that the kit called for the end cap of balsa and the thin plywood inside cap to be installed. Afterwards, the wing was warped again. I weighted the spar and the TE where the warp is and sprayed it one more time. Now I have ripples in the balsa on the deck sheeting that is next to the fuse. Not sure what to do....just let it set?....or do I need to do something else. Maybe it is just not totally dry. What do you think?
Old 05-25-2003, 10:02 PM
scalebldr

let is set a day or so to dry completely and see what happens when it is removed .