Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fentress rally Huge success!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fentress rally Huge success!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 01:12 AM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fentress rally Huge success!!

yeahhh mid atlantic 2003 was a total success and the best yet! I saw many jets fly that I have heard talk & hearsay about here on RCU.I now saw 1st hand that all I heard was true and definately worth every cent.Todds Eurofighter was about the most impressive jet @ the event this year and dave jr's F100 and tony's F86 were very a close second.I was very impressed how stable and great the euro flew.After seeing your roo fly joey & I are ordering all composite arfs for our wren 12 pounders

I think this will be the perfect combo for the 1st turbine bird.We are both getting the american flag scheme version.Todd what are you running on the elevons ,rudders & speedbrake? I have 2 9304 futabas laying around & thinking of using those on the rudders ok or not(69 oz)? and hitec 5945's on the elevons and I hear that its a must to run atleast 90oz on the speedbrake.Would appreciate your input todd and any thing to beef up on building/setup and anything to watch out for with flight traits etc

thanks Steve
Old 05-30-2003, 01:26 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Hey Steve,
First, let me say it was a pleasure to meet you and the rest of the "Fentress" gang. Best time I have had i quite a while . Big thanks goes out to Zak for helping me in the pits all weekend, great kid with lots of talent! Certainly a "Top Gun Pilot" in the making.

As for the roo..... I am using

Elevons= JR8411's (one each)
Rudders= Volz Wing maxx (embedded in each fin)
Speed Brake = Hitec HS-645MG
Nose Gear = Hitec HS-605BB

Now... All the servos you stated above would be fine. You do want a high torque servo on the speed brake but with the 12lb engine 90oz/in is probably over kill (better over than under though). As you can see from mine, single elevon servos is all that is required, dual servos would just give some redundancy. Personally, I like the 8411's over the Hitec servos but either will work just fine. I have never built the composite version, mine is the older kit with foam core wings so I am not sure I can be of much help there. I do know you want to beef up the main gear mounts a bit but other than that I think it is just fine as per manual.
Not much to say on the flying other than DONT get it in a spin with the CG per manual, they dont come out! CG needs to be at least an inch forward if your going to "Play". Landings can take some practice, you have to learn how to transition into slow flight and you cannot "Land" the plane, The kanagaroo must be flown till it stops flying and it will land itself. If you force the landing you will hop it down the runway every time. When flying the roo it is best to hold it a foot or two off the deck and keep applying elevator till it settles itself into the runway. When you guys get them ready to fly, give me a call and i'll walk you guys through some of the setup....
Hope this helps....
Todd
Old 05-30-2003, 03:54 PM
realflight

Todd,

Thanks for the kind words about my son. He is quite amazing at 10 years old. Currently he is flying 3D and sport type planes as well as flying helicopters. He is saving his money to get a ducted fan (turbine after that) and hopes to fly in some of the jet shows next year. Thanks for letting him spend the weekend with you as your "pit crew" - he won't stop talking about your Euro Sport. What an awesome plane!!!! You really know how to put on a show!!!

Thanks again. It was great meeting you and hope to fly with you soon.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:46 PM
lov2flyrc

Same here Robert, I hope to see you and Zak down here for FJ 2004!

TTYS...
Todd
Old 05-30-2003, 10:47 PM
Blueskies21

Todd
We always have a blast every year here @ the rally.Its a must see/attend event every year for everyone & highly recommended!!
thanks so much man for all the helpful education on roo setup and recomendations

Where can I get those volz servos from??whats the torque on those? Joey,mike & I are all getting the all composite "american flag" versions..very cool scheme

thanks Steve
Old 05-30-2003, 11:19 PM
lov2flyrc

Steve,
you wont want to use the Volz servos on the composite version. My fins are built up, not composite made. This allowed me to custom fit these .39" wide servos into the fin. I believe this would be difficult to do in the composite fin without making a mess. The arf roo already has servo pockets in the fuse and this would be the easiest install for you. The 9304's you have would do nicely....BTW, the Volz Wing Maxx servos are only 42oz/in of torque. Here is a link to them anyway... http://www.nesail.com/wingmaxx.html

Make sure you go with the ROBART gear for the roo, springairs just dont hold up on this plane...

Regards,
Todd
Old 06-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Blueskies21

Todd

Well joey,mike,larry and myself all ordered ARF roo's this weekend -american flags schemes.My wren should be here this week

Will be going with 9304's on the rudders,645mg on speedbrake,8411's on elevons and 645mg on the steering as well.Got the robart gear/wheels & brakes too with it.Gonna get the ground school asap then drive to nc soon I think to get waiver signed off from ken, otherwise I have to wait till august when larry wolfe visits here and I wanna fly my roo before then & get use to it!

We will be at FJ 2004 if they end up having it in st. augustine.hope to see ya soon todd and keep that eurofighter alive & kicking!

Steve