Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Well I finially got one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
bluesox_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I finially got one!

I am finally the proud owner of my first Rc. Its a TB 02 with lots of extras. The add it came from looked like this.

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Tamiya TB-02 Rc Car.Used 4 times. </span><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Futaba digital proportional radio control system MS</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Futaba FP-R 122 JE 2 channel receiver</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">MC 230 CR ESC Futaba Neutral/Hig/Brake</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">Upgrade:Sway bar kit</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> Carbon cetner plate</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> Servo saver</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> Tamiya TZ 23T motor</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> Metal shock</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> JR 270 servo</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> Aluminum body post</span></div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"> Including: Box,Battery,Manuals,Original electric motor,Other tire set,Extra parts etc</span>.

The reasons I went with this car came from this thread I started a few days back
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8914874/tm.htm

I really liked the Idea of having the shaft over the belt and the price was better.
Now its the overwhelming part of learning the parts and diving it. I with their was a "idiots guide to RC's" but I guess this is what this forum is for lol. I plan on reading all the manuals this weekend but I do have a few questions for future consideration.

1. What would be the best battery I could purchase for best speed gains?
2. What else could be bought right away to make my car significantly quicker 'low budget'
3.What else could be bought right away to make my car significantly stronger 'low budget'
3. Is their a stronger motor that can be purchased compatible with my current battery?
4.After I get the hang of this what would be a good valued brush less lipo kit and can that be purchased at once?

Well that's all I can think of for now thanks for taking the time to read this any responses appreciated. After I get some answers and research them I will be posting questions about making my car some what of a drift car 'but yes I will use the SEARCH button first' lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31741.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1233516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68276.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1233517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15779.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1233518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42313.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1233519  
Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Willystylz

Default RE: Well I finially got one!

Congrats on your choice! Definitely looks like a clean car and very few runs on it.

You can put pretty much any brushed motor in there (depending on your esc's motor turn limit). Eventually you'd want to upgrade to brushless which would involve replacing the esc to a brushless capable one and a brushless motor of course. The big advantage to brushless is higher power without the 'higher' maintenance. Although the 23t Tamiya motor in your kit should last many runs before the performance starts to decrease.......depending how it's geared of course too.

Just quickly looking at your kit I'd suggest upgrading the battery as soon as you can. It looks like a smaller capacity NICD one in there now. You'll want to upgrade to a 4000-5000mah NIMH for better acceleration and much better runtime. Or even better learn yourself up on Lipo battery technology as it is the best choice.....although more $$$ plus you need a lipo charger/balancer. Do you have a charger yet? Also it would be wise to invest in a temp gun. Because with higher capacity batteries, you have to keep an eye on your esc and motor's temperature. I believe for brushed motors you shouldn't let them get much higher than 150F or so. Don't quote me on that # since i'm used to brushless though.

I just tried to give you a simple briefing.........but you've got sooo much to learn! But luckily learning in this hobby is usually good fun!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Congratulations on your first RC!
Myself, I wouldn't worry about Lipo batteries or brushless motors for now. Just try the car out for a little while and see just what you want to improve first. Just a NiMH battery in the 3000-5000 mah range would be a good battery to switch to. For motors I think the MC 230 should handle a motor as low as 20 turn (maybe even a 19, though technically it won't handle that).
Old 07-11-2009, 12:54 PM
traxxaspede

I recommend LiPo, its really nice, good power, good runtimes, and there light. What I use are Zippy FLightmax 4000mah 2S lipos, (I know, some people say there bad, but I've had good experience with the 2 I have) and Thunder AC6 charger (again, people might have mixed opinions, but for $75 shipped with a lipo bag and a temp. sensor, I had nothing but good experience with it).
Old 07-12-2009, 12:49 PM
bluesox_68

Yeah I am definitely looking into lipos. I have a few more questions. When my battery is low do i run it empty then charge it and I am looking for links for rims and body's to purchase and lastly are all hopup parts between the TB02 and TB01 compatible? I am reading the big thread on the TB01 and it looks very similar, what are the big differences?

Thanks