Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Glue question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Glue question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Kristjan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glue question

What sort of glue to use between balsa and the covering material that you iron. Problem is that ironing itself doesn`t help anymore. The special glue is gone...

So I must put something by hand there. What should it be??

Thanks,
Kristjan
Old 07-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Attila
My Feedback: (2)

Default Glue question

"Balsarite" might help stick the covering material. I assume you are using one of the plastic shrink type material.. Balsarite is a clear, thin product you brush on prior to covering..it helps with the sticking, but don't know if it will work with what you are using..good luck..
Old 07-03-2003, 03:43 PM
smeagol

Default Glue question

Balsaloc is used in the UK, its a heat sensitive water soluable adhesive.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:48 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Glue question

Originally posted by Kristjan
What sort of glue to use between balsa and the covering material that you iron. Problem is that ironing itself doesn`t help anymore. The special glue is gone...

So I must put something by hand there. What should it be??

Thanks,
Kristjan
Kristjan, you can also use any wood glue, balsa right and balsaloc are just forms of this stuff. Brush a thin layer on the area you need to glue and LET IT DRY then try ironing on the plastic.

And

Just because you are a beginner, I have to ask; you HAVE REMOVED the clear backing sheet off of your iron on covering haven't you??? Not a dumb question, I've had THREE students show up at the flying field with covering applied this way. I have no idea how they get it to stick in the first place but you can do it.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Glue question

Use any of the alphatic resin glues. Put on as thin a coat as you can and let it dry before ironing down the covering. This technique even works over wood that has had some oil on it.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Kristjan

Default Glue question

Just because you are a beginner, I have to ask; you HAVE REMOVED the clear backing sheet off of your iron on covering haven't you??? Not a dumb question, I've had THREE students show up at the flying field with covering applied this way. I have no idea how they get it to stick in the first place but you can do it.
No need to worry about that. We are talking about a Messerschmitt BF-109 model that has flown already. I`t is just that small area of a wing cover had "waves" so I had to remove the cover and then put it back so it would be nice and tigtly stretched. But it seems that once you have removed the cover, ironing doesn`t help anymore. So something must me put by hand there.

Can you all get a better view now?
Thank you all for your answers.
Kristjan
Old 07-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Kristjan

Default Glue question

PS. the Balsarite and Balsaloc are what I`m looking for, I think. But is there anything more simple and more common (eg. you use in everyday life) because I don`t think I can get those very quickly in my neigbourhood. Have to order from UK or Germany and that takes few weeks.